Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta cutting out at low revs...

Options
  • 14-07-2006 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, i've been really enjoying this forum for a while now and i was hoping you guys could help me out.

I've a 98 Fiesta 1.25 lx that's giving me some problems lately. The engine sometimes cuts out when stopping the car. The car doesn't hop or jolt, as i have the clutch in fully when taking it into neutral, it just seems to whimper out. The first time it happened i didn't even realise it was gone until i tried to pull off again.

I'm thinking that it's a problem with the air/fuel mixture, so was going to start by replacing the air filter. Was just under the bonnet there and could clearly hear a sharp intake of air when you first open the throttle - kind of like a reverse hiss( a ssih?). it seems to pick up the revs fine after that, but there is a delay for this noise.

What could that mean? perished hoses or something? something worse? Could it be causing the cut outs?

I'd appreciate any ideas..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

At a guess....

sounds like the pipe from the inlet manifold to the air preasure sensor could be split, would explain the suction noise you can hear and why it would cut out.

Get someone to rev the engine and check the pipes for splits or holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

I had a Fiesta for a few years and I had the same trouble. I never really figured out why it was happening but I have a feeling it was to do with the air filter (I aint no mechanic). Whenever I got the car serviced and they replaced the air filter, it seemed to chug along perfectly happy. On a side note though, a guy I worked with had a Ford Mondeo and we were chatting (bitching) about certain faults with our cars and he said the same thing was happening to his. So I dont think it's just a 'Fiesta thing'.

My reckoning on the air filter thing though:
    At higher revs, you're forcing the engine to take in more air to run the engine.
    At lower revs, the engine isnt under as much pressure for air intake and if the filter is any way dirty and it cant get as much air in, the engine just flakes out.

Advertisement