Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max temps dropped from 51'c to 41'c... WTF?

Options
  • 14-07-2006 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok well my systems noise level was starting to get on my nerves (mainly caused by the rubbish stock fan on my 6800) but I also suspected that the 90mm exhaust fan was making noise as it was blowing against one of those crappy perferated grills that get cut into the back of the case.

So I took out the mobo and graphics card, then exhaust fan, then used my dremel to completely cut out the grill so that the fan is now blowing out unimpeded (wires pushing in on the fan might be a problem). But as I was doing this I dusted out the case and cleaned the fins of all the fans that had a little dust on them, and the CPU heatsink. When I booted back up my CMOS had reset itself (WTF?) so I put in all my OC settings, accept I dropped the fsb to 250x11 so I could get a HTT of 250x4 (it was at 255x3 before) which dropped my CPU clock from 2.8Ghz to 2.75Ghz.

I then ran OCCT and then prime95 and where my max temps where hitting 51'c before, they are only hitting 41'c now. Could the drop of only 50Mhz have caused this, or does dust on my fans and heatsink really cause such a jump in temps. I always thought you'd have to have a comp filled with dust for there to be any noticeable increase in temps?

Also, tackling the noise problem further.

I'm looking to get a good/quite fan/heatsink for my CPU/GPU, i'm also on the look out for a reasonably priced (€100-€150?) 6800 to setup SLi

Any recommendations? I'd like to order all 3 of them from the same place to save on shipping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You would be surprized how much dust and airflow can affect temps. As for the Sli question, why bother? I have got 2 7800gt's off of adverts, both in pwo and both with a warrenty and all for 200 quid each. For 200 you can get much better performance than 2*6800's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

L31mr0d wrote:
    look out for a reasonably priced (€100-€150?) 6800 to setup SLi

Any recommendations?

keep an eye on ebay, I got a 6800gt for €80 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yep dust can be a big impact on temps in toyr case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Is there anywhere around dublin I could get an Artic Freezer? Looking to get one for my AMD 64 (sock:939). Do peats or maplin do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i got a spare 1 if you want it lets say 16 since there 25 new :D

• Advertisement

I was hoping to get it new, as I don't like messing around with thermal compound as the stuff that comes preapplied to the heatsink is good enough.

But if I can't get it today in Peats or Maplin I might take you up on it. PM me anyway with details about how I could pay and how much to ship ('m guessing I can't meet up with you in Dublin) and what condition its in (is it this one?) also is the thermal compound on the bottom of it already used up and do you have a little to spare if it is? :D

acctualy your better off buying it new you need the the thermal compound that comes with it for it to be anygood.:D

ok can I have some advice on these heatsinks and fans by Zalmans

What happened was I foolishly gave my parents some money and a description of the fans I needed by Artic Cooling for my VGA and CPU. They came back with to Zalmans from Peats, that the guy behind the counter had clearly upselled to them as they are ridiculously expensive.

I know these new ones are really quite, but how is their heat dissipation for Overclocking?

Will they be as good or better than the Freezer 64 Pro or equivalent VGA Cooler by Artic Cooling? Anybody have any experience with them?

VF900-Cu

CNPS9500 LED

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

The 9500 is extremely good IMO. Up there with the tower120 and the artic.

there good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Which zalman did you end up with for the CPU ? 7000 ? 7700 ? 9500 ? The model number means a hell of a lot more than the brand name.

he has links down the bottom .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Woops my bad. was pretty hung over...

The CNPS 9500 will cool far far better than the arctic cooler would have. 9500 is up there for one of the best air cooleres money can buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hope its good......ye lot talked me in2 orderin 9500......lol

ok well I guess i'll install them and see what happens. The 9500 is huge, I don't even know if it will fit into my ATX case, as the side fan comes in a bit on top of the CPU fan. I'll see what happens, and post some pics, now where did I put that nail polish remover :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

If the older vf700 is anything to go by the 900 should rock .. have one currently cooling a 2.8ght p4 in my media centre case (yes GPU cooler on the cpu! - no space for anything else) and it doesnt get above 65 celcius!

also have the 7000 in my other machine .. its fantastic .. nice n quiet too

Advertisement