Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low-E Argon filled window glass in the West

Options
  • 14-07-2006 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I've received a window quote for uPVC/double glazed windows
    from a well regarded supplier here in the Mayo area.
    I asked the rep about the U-value of windows and weighted
    average U including the frames. He told me that they were
    achieving weighted avg of
    1.9 W/m2k (current building regs calling for min 2.2)
    They do K glass but not low-E or argon filled as yet.

I checked with Wrights in Miltownpass and they told me they
    do Argon filled glass. They told me that K glass is what was
    state of the art about 2-3yrs ago. Unfortunately I am a good
    bit too far away from their catchment area.
    They were very nice and helpful. The agent mentioned that
    I could ask to see if my local supplier might be able to source
    their glass from vistatherm/Carey's and get the argon filled
    glass.

Does anyone know of very reputable installers in the West
    who do low-E, argon filled windows ? This probably isn't
    a showstopper for me. I am happy with the quote the
    local company have given me in all respects except for this
    one issue and I'd put reputation of installer slightly above
    getting the nth degree of insulation figures.

~ipl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Is low E/Argon really such a big deal? I have been led to believe that in the grand scheme of things ie. overall dwelling energy efficiency, low E/argon filled - makes only a small impact.

It would be interesting to see how much of a price difference there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

you'd be right, in a sense.
    Alot of energy is lost through the windows. The best way to improve the glass is low-e, but its still a big issue with energy loss. A far better way to improve the energy loss is with sensitively design glazing, ie taking aspect and room sizer into account. But low-e is can still be done on top of this, so id recommend it too.
    then again there are cheaper ways to reduce a greater amount energy.

Yes even simple things like heavyweight curtains with good linings will cut heat loss through windows. Most heat loss through the windows happens at night anyway. Still go for low-e though, but don't go overboard with triple glazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes even simple things like heavyweight curtains with good linings will cut heat loss through windows. Most heat loss through the windows happens at night anyway. Still go for low-e though, but don't go overboard with triple glazing.
    Your comment is misleading, most heat loss happens at night, and most heat is lost through the windows, but windows don't suffer extra at night compared to the rest of the house.

Mellor wrote:
    Your comment is misleading, most heat loss happens at night, and most heat is lost through the windows, but windows don't suffer extra at night compared to the rest of the house.

True, but I was taking solar gain into account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

iplogger1 wrote:
    I checked with Wrights in Miltownpass and they told me they do Argon filled glass. They told me that K glass is what was
    state of the art about 2-3yrs ago. Unfortunately I am a good
    bit too far away from their catchment area.

Based on my experience with them you're just aswell off that they don't cover your area. We used them because of their soft coat low-e glass. The product was fine but the service in the Galway area left a lot to be desired. They delayed us by weeks.

I don't know of any other company that do low-E, argon filled windows but AFAIK Munster Joinery do K-glass argon filled.

BTW, if you're looking into the u-values of windows in that detail you may be interested to know that Fakro roof windows have a better u-value than Velux....at least they did two years ago. They're cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Thanks for the hint about the roof window U-values Tribesman !

We have one "velux" window in our house plan to supply natural
    light above a stairwell. I'll look into the differences in U-values
    between the two vendors products.

I've sent you a PM on a more general query about double
    glazing suppliers and types of glass supplied, etc.

~ipl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 matty2003

Sorry to be a cynic, but how can I be sure that the windows have been gas-filled?

Advertisement