Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polish for dummies!!

• 14-07-2006 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Right so I'm interested in learning to speak polish but not write it. So can anyone give me the phonectics of different words, phrases etc. i.e. spell out how they sound. Even help me by writing down a few verbs and anything as simple as I,You,He,She,we,you,they,them.

Heres what I've learned so far: (in phonectics)
    Yech she mache How are you?
    Dub vee shen ya See you tomorrow!
    Shen dub ya Good morning/evening
    Chay plache may I'm sorry
    tek shoe ya Thank you!
    ne nech she rach mein I do not understand
    barbros very
    can ay ya tired(it think thats wrong :( )

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Curva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Right so I'm interested in learning to speak polish but not write it. So can anyone give me the phonectics of different words, phrases etc. i.e. spell out how they sound. Even help me by writing down a few verbs and anything as simple as I,You,He,She,we,you,they,them.

tek shoe ya Thank you!
    barbros very

All good man thanks....

can you specify the way some words are said though?

ie. 'ne nech' is it 'neck, nesh, or netch' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you tried the languages forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slightlycrazy

BuffyBot wrote:
    Have you tried the languages forum?
    Its just been moved here.

Lets see some new stuff....

Vin ya dub a yes tash You have a very hot ass/you are very hot
    smatan Bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

kurwa mac/chuj?

Someone gave me that phrase, apparently it's not nice. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cromer

tek shoe ya Thank you!
    barbros very

duz a bow chen ya = good bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cromer

I'm glad I'm not alone. 90% of my collegues at work are polish so I am in the same boat. I learn phonetically too! Another way of saying good morning is:-

gin dobra = good morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Im really sorry for saying this but the phonetics are atrocious, if you said the words phonetically a polish person would find it hard to make out what your saying, if you look through previous posts you will see I have provided some useful phrases in polish language and also in phonetics.

Also kurwa mac and chuj is highly offensive, kurwa mac is like telling someone to take a hike except I put it the nice way, but using the F word, which we could guess what it is.

Chuj refers to the part of a mans private parts, its also used to offend other men.

'ne nech' - It would be pronounced as neck, the CH is like the Ch in the word loch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alinalina

tek shoe ya Thank you!
    barbros very

i'm sorry, but these are disgusting. i have no idea where you got "tek shoe ya" from. it's more like "gen Q yem." "i do not understand" is more like "ya nyeh roz oom yem"

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭czrewor

I'm sorry but I dont believe you can learn any language correctly through this phonetic method. You must learn to read polish in its native form. Sure you can memorize these temporary phonetics, but if you find yourself in a situation where you need to write in polish, it could be awkward.

:-P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

This may help just so you can start getting used to it http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/polish/soap/phrases.shtml

Advertisement