Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc B class

Options
  • 14-07-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

Has anybody any feedback on the B Class....its pretty expensive (roughly €34K for a decent looking yolk) theres alot more I could buy for the same money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another bloody stupid niche product!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

another over priced merc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    Another bloody stupid niche product!

Agree! The once (deservedly) sky high reputation Mercedes-Benz had built up over a century is being watered down by cynical short term bottom line projections, especially since the takeover of Chrysler :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

...so what is it about mercs that makes people keep going back??

Im a badge snob...and I have to say I am ashamed to say so. But I could also buy a 04 X-Type...what about that?

by the way I want to spend no more than € 35K. Any suggestions most welcome.

Must be 4 door and suitablefor my wife to drive (i.e not too big)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How about a Corolla Verso 2.2 D-4D Luna just over 34k? far more practical and fast than the merc.

Ill have a look on CBG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

K-ching! Another Sale! ;)

Mike.

Gotta fly the flag Mike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i have a very simple test for choosing a car. i ask myself what i'd think of someone when i saw them driving it. my previous motors have been a 93 micra and a 95 corolla. neither are overly pretensious or un-necessarily huge. BUT if i ever see an SUV, oversized MPV or bulky motor i'll nbever let them out at a junction, never let them cut across me in traffic and never give them an inch when it comes to any right of way on the road that is mine.

as such i'm currently weighing up a 318 or a lexus is200 as the next wagon. the lexus is winning, mostly because the bmw is so common round the parts of dublin i'll be living in. my point is (eventually) that if i ever see you ambling around town in a B-class, i'll think very little of you and make your driving life as difficult as possible within the law. they're oversized piles of crap with little regard for pedestrian safety and the owners will never look clever. ever. go for something else.

• Advertisement

Lots of people make a point of not letting Lexus's or BMW's out at a junction, mainly from the belief that they're driven by oiks

Funny old world!

kaiser1 wrote:
    .Im a badge snob...and I have to say I am ashamed to say so

Why ashamed? You're earning good money and you keep it rolling. Keeping it rolling benefits us all. Caveat: I don't do the green-eyed monster called begrudgery, some people do. Go on Kaiser, if you can afford it, spend, spend, spend :D
    kaiser1 wrote:
    ...so what is it about mercs that makes people keep going back?

Now there is where it hurts. Maybe to a lesser extent in Ireland, but look at continental Europe. Taxis were always mercs over there as ultimately they were they cheapest respectable cars to run over a number of years with huge mileage (talking 100,000 kms per year here)

The move is slow but distinctive. The most apparent replacement for the merc is the Toyota Avensis. My good friend Gerard, who has been a taxi driver in Belgium for over 30 years (15 brand new mercs) was one of the trend setters a few years ago. Betya the punters (me included) were far from impressed :(
    colm_mcm wrote:
    How about a Corolla Verso 2.2 D-4D Luna just over 34k?

A badge snob and a Toyota are like fire and water. Even the creation of the Lexus brand didn't manage to fix that for Toyota. And a Corolla for €34k? Yikes :eek:

if i ever see an SUV, oversized MPV or bulky motor i'll nbever let them out at a junction
    if i ever see you ambling around town in a B-class, i'll think very little of you and make your driving life as difficult as possible within the law

That's pathetic, shame on you :mad:

34K for a 7 seater with the same engine as a Lexus IS220D (albeit tuned down) is good value. The Corolla Verso is a Corolla in name only, It shares all its mechanicals with the Avensis

It's certainly better value than a 1.5 5 seater Golf-Plus rival for €35k :eek:

(1.6 VVT-i Luna is €29,500 if speed isn't a requirement)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

kaiser1 wrote:
    by the way I want to spend no more than € 35K. Any suggestions most welcome.

Must be 4 door and suitablefor my wife to drive (i.e not too big)

New Golf GTI.

I must be getting old too....because Im also looking at the feul numbers aswell.I like the golf GTI,lovely car but whats itlike on juice?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i have a very simple test for choosing a car. i ask myself what i'd think of someone when i saw them driving it. my previous motors have been a 93 micra and a 95 corolla. neither are overly pretensious or un-necessarily huge. BUT if i ever see an SUV, oversized MPV or bulky motor i'll nbever let them out at a junction, never let them cut across me in traffic and never give them an inch when it comes to any right of way on the road that is mine.

as such i'm currently weighing up a 318 or a lexus is200 as the next wagon. the lexus is winning, mostly because the bmw is so common round the parts of dublin i'll be living in. my point is (eventually) that if i ever see you ambling around town in a B-class, i'll think very little of you and make your driving life as difficult as possible within the law. they're oversized piles of crap with little regard for pedestrian safety and the owners will never look clever. ever. go for something else.

Good to know the roads are safe and full of mature right thinking adults. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

you could call it a GTI for the family

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

kaiser1 wrote:
    I must be getting old too....because Im also looking at the feul numbers aswell.I like the golf GTI,lovely car but whats itlike on juice?

Currently getting 600km per tank. Filling 50l each time. Mostly up and down the M1 with some town driving. With the occasional sprint of course !! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Volvo S40 1.8 SE . Bags of kit in it.

• Advertisement

might as as well get a Focus as an S40

Advertisement