Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeremy Wariner is the real deal

• 14-07-2006 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭

43.62 in Rome tonight, the 7th fastest performance of all-time.

Winning margin over X-man: 1.14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Couldn't agree more. If I may be so bold as to make a prediction - if he can stay clear of injuries he'll be the first man to run sub 43 for the 400m within the next 4 to 5 years. His final 100 last night was nothing short of awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

Was that a pb for Wariner, don't think his championship runs were anywhere near that quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

http://folk.uio.no/perel/

The race is on this website again. The real damage was done 250-350. X-Man went out hard and was probably shocked when Wariner passed him so easily at 220, he tried to react but then Wariner kicked for real at 250. X-Man tired at the end big time, while Wariner looked like he could have gone for another 400. At any level, its tough when you get passed so early in a 400 and experience is the only thing that helps an athlete handle it properly and run your own race. X-man has a lot to learn in 400 running he is as green as f*ck, JW gave a masterclass than the master himself would have been proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

An Tarbh wrote:
    Was that a pb for Wariner, don't think his championship runs were anywhere near that quick.

Yes, it was a PB. His championship wins:

2004 OT: 44.37
    2004 OG: 44.00
    2005 US: 44.20
    2005 WC: 43.93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

No way common sense. Wariner being as good as he is will not go under 43.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

No way common sense. Wariner being as good as he is will not go under 43.

His 44 flat on Friday easing down against no real competition was pretty impressive but have to agree that sub 43 is pretty unikely in the near future. A shame that there is such a lack of real competition out there at the moment. And even if some does come, it would more than likely be at the olympics or WCs and it is very tough to run a WR after three rounds of 400m.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It's hard to predict that a 400m runner will run any given time, since so many young sprinters (Off the top of my head, David Grindley, Steve Lewis, Darren Clark, Obea Moore) seemed ready to come along and run space-age times but all had problems that inhibited their development. However, as I posted here 2 years ago after the olympics, Wariner is easily one of the most impressive looking 400m runners I've ever seen, and he's down to 43.6 now at 22 years of age. Michael Johnson was 24 before he ever ducked under 400m and took another 7 years to grind down the time to 43.18s. I don't know if Wariner is going to break a WR or get under 43 but considering his development, his classy way of running and the environment he's in I wouldn't put anything past him over the next 6 years (that gives him two more olympics).

Advertisement