Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculated error

Options
  • 14-07-2006 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

lads, Please tell me i'm the not only shooter who has done this......

Yesterday evening i was setup on a high bank with the swift trying headshots on bunnies out to around 300 yrds. with 2 shots taken and no problems i lay wait for the next target to show itsself. After a short while i spotted my quarry about 180 yrds out and proceded to dial in the elevation, safety off, hold, squeeze trigger, loud bang and nothing. A complete miss, i did'nt even see a strike on far bank. So after a very hasty rethink and adjustment the second shot was launched and again nothing???. At this point i'm confused, angery, worried about stray bullets and wondering has my beloved Remy had a sudden illness. little did i think that the problem was me but a test shot on my zeroing target revealed the horrible truth. oh yes i had calculated a the right numbers of clicks (no wind drift required per say) but i had dialled in the wrong direction putting my zero out somewhere over the 400 mark.:eek: :o
    luckily for me i alway shoot to a backstop and in this case it happened to be a 8 foot high bank of earth, but i still scared the sh!t out of me. i shudder to think what could have resulted from my stupid mistake.
    I have 20 odd years shooting experience, and the own various firearms for the last 13 of those years so i think it was a case of familiararity breaths comtempt.
    I hope this will serve as a note of caution to those new to our sport and if anyone wants to tell me that i'm not a complete eejit i'd be glad to hear it.

Hezz :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

so u didnt try shoot any crows up in trees!!:rolleyes: easy enough make that mistake tho least u always safe with a good back stop. have often wound it da wrong way!

I've done that in training so many times... and a couple in competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yeah when ever i have to re-zero a scope there's always the "do i twist up or down" question

can be scary in the field alright, went out yesterday morning and i was shooting at crows using a 12 ft man made wall of earth for a backstop. same thing correct number of clicks but in the wrong direction and the bullet was about 50 yards short of the target. My brother was spotting for me and was laughin his ass off cos the look of worry on my face.

Advertisement