Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable safe

Options
  • 14-07-2006 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a secure transport system for a pistol? Somthing practical yet cheapish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Maplins do a nice line of aluminium breif cases for electronic equipment,that has pull out foam rubber so you can customise it to a specific item.About 20 plus euros.
    Dunno if the locks are up to much,but at that price you could get a basic security hasp and good padlock mounted onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

A decent cash box with a hole drilled in the base and bolted to the floor of the car should do it.

A little foam inside will prevent any damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

hi all,

On the subject of pistol transport can anyone recommend where I can get a small transport case that is acceptable for transporting pistols with airlines.I can find plenty in USA from the usual onlien shops but the shippnig costs to ireland are a bit steep.

Transporting firearms of any kind via airline is a tricky enough biz anymore.
    The general jist is;the case must be solid construction, with two or more locks,ammo seperate in a locked container in seperate check in baggage,weapon prefably disabled,by having a component part removed IE bolt from rifle.
    Would suggest a good sturdy foam lined electronic technicans tool box,that has double locks.Even as Jaycee suggested a good double lock cash box would do the job.Or if you want to do the dog abit,get a executive foam lined aluminium breifcase made by Haliburton,[If you watch the TV seris Lost this is the breifcase that the sky marshal had his guns in ]and you have an exellent relatively inconspicious pistol safe for air travel.
    Until of course security and the airlines start slapping pirority stickers and dangerous contents labels describing what is in there exactly[handguns],thus making it really intresting for all and sundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

packas wrote:
    hi all,
    On the subject of pistol transport can anyone recommend where I can get a small transport case that is acceptable for transporting pistols with airlines.I can find plenty in USA from the usual onlien shops but the shippnig costs to ireland are a bit steep.

Shipping for Pelicans or similar is a bit steep, but buy a Pelican from the US and ship it here and you'll pay less than buying it locally or shipping from the UK.
    You could buy a Storm case instead, they're just about as strong. Replace the pick-n-place foam with hard closed-cell foam and custom cut it if that's possible.

Is it the cheapest thing ever? Nope. But put it this way - how much did you pay for your pistol and sights and how much is it worth to you to know that when the baggage handlers are through with them that they'll be intact and safe?

Me, I got this for my air rifle sights and frankly, as soon as money permits, I'm getting one for my air rifle, one for my .22 setup and one for my air pistol :D
    Hell, if they'll protect an AR-15 from being thrown out the back of a Hercules onto a dirt track without the Hercules actually landing, they ought to survive Aer Rianta :D

DSCF2923.JPG

• Advertisement

[
    Hell, if they'll protect an AR-15 from being thrown out the back of a Hercules onto a dirt track without the Hercules actually landing, they ought to survive Aer Rianta :D

NOTHING survives Aer Rianta!!!:D
    if you want to test any baggage to ultimate & total destruction they are the people for it.:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Thanks for the advice. Found some decent priced cases on this site:

http://www.casesbymasco.com/cases

The Armloc II looks like the job. You can even bolt it to your bed:D Handy when you need to et hold of your weapon int he middle of the night:D :D

Advertisement