Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Logo

Options
  • 15-07-2006 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Thoughts on this? I was stuck for an idea for a logo for one of my new sites. The site just returns a users browser/ip/os settings (to a certain extent of course!) when they visit the site. Most of the rival sites in this area just using text logos size 16 arial or whatever. Very plain.

I went with the Beagle due to it's "sniffer" background, i couldn't think of anything else suitable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Not sure ... its not working for me ... but I think thats just a case of personal taste ...

it looks ok and everything ... just doesn't work for me ... or maybe I just need to see it in context ... and scaled down a bit ...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭sdssarah

yeah, im not sure about it either, theres something there, the image and the colours, but maybe try it a few different ways, and im not entirely sure that font suits. but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

the image of the dog is too big in comparison to the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭sdssarah

you know, you might want to ask yourself, what does the dog have to do with anything. often times you might see logos and they seem random, but they have been thought out quite clearly and there is an idea, and a context for them. for me its hard to see if you had a great idea, or just want something different found a funny picture of a dog and just went with it, without thinking.

id like to hear what idea is behind it?

also i did up a mockup (VERY rough) of the kind of thing i would recommend, a sort of play on the whole question of what your ip is and the word. obviously i didnt spend much time on it because i wasnt asked to, but if you want to play around with that idea maybe it could work for you.

hope you sort something out :)
    sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭crybaby

it took me a few seconds before i realised the dog is there to sniff out the IP seems like a good idea to me. it looks alright, make the font bigger though and maybe think about some sort of tagline to put underneath to underline why the dog is doing there. also you need to clean up the corners of the shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Perhaps a silhouette of a dog sniffing might outline better the fact that you're 'searching'. The first thing that came to mind with the dog was 'aww, he's looking at something' rather than 'aww he's searching for something'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if you leave it as is and come up with some sort of tag line under that hints that the dog is sniffing, it'd be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Rhyme wrote:
    Perhaps a silhouette of a dog sniffing might outline better the fact that you're 'searching'. The first thing that came to mind with the dog was 'aww, he's looking at something' rather than 'aww he's searching for something'
    You mean a profile shot? I think a side on shot would be much better, with the dog's nose on the ground sniffing it. (Also search for bloodhounds btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Gordon wrote:
    You mean a profile shot? I think a side on shot would be much better, with the dog's nose on the ground sniffing it. (Also search for bloodhounds btw)

Or an illustration of a dog sniffing 'whatsmyip.ie' text

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

cheers for the responses. The corners are cleaned up and the dogs scale has been adjusted. I also dumped the black backdrop and used the same orange.

Tag line wise, i was trying myself to think up of something and i was mulling over weather or not to put on the logo or as text under the logo.

sdssarah, i like your use of the question mark. I might revisit that. :)

a bloodhound, i forgot about them! I searched for beagles and german shepards and a few others but i clean forgot about the most common sniffer dog. I searched for an image of a bloodhound sniffing the ground but i couldn't turn up anything. I'll search again later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement