Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who (one last time?)!

• 15-07-2006 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The Who is back with a new album, WHO 2 for the first time since 1982 with the predictable world tour.
    4 July 06 - The Who have announced their first world tour in more than 20 years, with North American dates in September.

The first gig is in Philadelphia on 12 September. Further dates in South America, East Asia, Europe and Australia in 2007 will be announced at a later date.

The legendary rock band's surviving members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey will go on the road with drummer Zak Starkey (son of Ringo Starr) and Townshend's brother Simon.

Tickets go on sale on 17 July although fan club members can buy them two days earlier.

"I don't think I've ever looked forward to a tour as much as this one," said Townshend. "Roger and I are both fit and well, ready to rock."

"I don't think I've ever looked forward to a tour as much."
    Pete Townshend

The band will also release a new studio album on 23 October - their first since 1982's It's Hard. The album is provisionally called Who 2 and they plan to perform the new songs on tour, including their mini rock opera Wire & Glass.

Townshend said: "Why make a record under The Who brand if you like, unless we are really going to go out there and get behind it properly, do a world tour?"

Dalrey and Townshend were speaking to the American media via satellite from Berlin.

They curently have an ep Wire & Glass on release but I've hav'nt heard it yet. Its bound to be a dissapointment! :p

Are Pete and Rog nuts to do this? Will it all end in tears as the concerts are full of fans demanding nothing but The Hits? Can Daltrys voice cope with the workload or will there be a lot of backing harmonies?

I'm a bit ambivalent but hopping it goes well.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. If they want to make music, who's to stop them, and it probably will appeal to the majority of their fans. I'm sure they'll still play most of the classics at their gigs

Not too sure about Daltrey's voice though..saw them at T in the Park on tv, he seemed to be a bit strained. I didn't think he sounded too bad at Live 8 last year though, so maybe it was just a bad day, but I'd still miss the scream in Won't Get Fooled Again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I saw him at Oxegen and his voice was superb.

Advertisement