Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get Ostrich?

• 15-07-2006 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get a couple of Ostrich steaks today to throw on the BBQ.

Anyone know here I can get it in Dublin?

I know Superquinn sometimes have it, but the steaks are very small and, you know, vaccum-packed.

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Theres a butcher in Terenure Villiage that does this as well as crocodile, buffalo etc that i've been very tempted to try (Buffalo meat is supposed to be very healthy).

Can't imagine that theres many suppliers for these specialty meats around so probably all packaged the same, though you wouldnt know without seeing for yourself.

If yer having more BBQ's (and why not in this scorching summer weather we're having this year) then give them a try, I bet Ostrich ain't cheap though , let us know what it tastes like if you do!!(probably like turkey is my guess).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

There's actually a large ostrich farm in Ireland, we used get supplies form them when I was working in Germany, personally I love ostrich, it's extremely lean. I've not seen it here that all said and done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Blub2k4 wrote:
    There's actually a large ostrich farm in Ireland, we used get supplies form them when I was working in Germany, personally I love ostrich, it's extremely lean. I've not seen it here that all said and done.

Would have thought our climate too cold for the things in Winter!!
    So, do they taste like chicken or turkey?, is the meat even white for that matter?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I'd say it's a meat in it's own right and cant compare it with anything else. We used serve it as a steak with hollandaise and a kiwi slice on top. It is a nice healthy colour sorta in the range of a dark turkey meat. It is a very tight lean filet, I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Thanks guys - I'll give that butcher a go.

Yeah, it's tasty - kinda like a nice fillet steak but with a bit of a gamey taste.

Think of them as large pheasants!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Where would i get this near Sligo ?

Sounds good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DrP

Tescos in Galway used to do ostrich a lot a couple of years ago, so maybe they are worth a try.

As for the butcher in Terenure I can recommend him highly - I used to stock up there a lot when I was living in Galway but visiting friends in Galway - and at the time he did offer to deliver/post stuff to Galway for me !

Oh and try the buffaloo if you get a chance. I buy bufalloo steaks here from time to time and they are excellent off the barbeque. They have always been much more tender than the best steak I have ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I was living in West Africa for a while and we used to get ostrich meat in the local South African supermarket. Apparently it's huge in South Africa.

It is fantastic meat and healthy too. More along the lines of beef than any bird I've ever eaten.

Will be trying to get some here, now that I'm back...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

I know its not quite the same but there's a chinese restaurant in Churchtown in Dublin called the Excelsior. It looks really tiny from the outside but it is actually one of the best chinese's I've ever eaten in. It does alot of mayalasian dishes including crocodile, ostrich and a couple of other rarities as well as the more standard fare. There's also an Excelsior out by the airport which I presume does roughly the same menu.

Advertisement