Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Cycle 2006

Options
  • 15-07-2006 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Dublin City Cycle 2006
    On Yer Bike for the 2nd Annual Dublin City Cycle

The Second Dublin City Cycle will pedal off from Mayor Square in Dublin Docklands, Dublin 1, for 10 kilometres through the newly revamped docklands area and then through the streets of Dublin on Wednesday 19th July at 8pm.

The Dublin City Cycle 2006 is an annual event, and is a fun cycle open to people of all ages and fitness levels and is free of charge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I'm there !

register on thier site and you can win a rothar!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

robfitz wrote:
    Blatant PR exercise to distract from Dublin City Council's negligence relating to actual cycle routes used by real cyclists every day in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Blatant PR exercise to distract from Dublin City Council's negligence relating to actual cycle routes used by real cyclists every day in Dublin.
    True, but it will be kinda cool to see some streets temporarily closed off to cars.
    There was a small piece in the Irish Times Magazine about Michael Aherne, Senior Transportation Planner for the DTO. He described the gentle silence on Capel Street with only the hum of (bicycle) tyres and people chatting.
    In the photo if him cycling with his two kids he's not wearing a helmet.
    It says he cycles the 12 miles from Bray to work in 40 mins (18mph - that's fast).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I just noticed that it starts rather late, at 8pm (I thought it was 7pm).
    I'd rather not hang around work for it and I wouldn't get home until close to 10pm.
    Is it worth attending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

daymobrew wrote:
    I just noticed that it starts rather late, at 8pm (I thought it was 7pm).
    They don't want to cause inconvenience to motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

I don't know. 7pm would be great, 8pm is latish plus the fact that the tour highlights will be on. It is a huge pity that it is not on at 7 (much better time and stuff inconvenience to motorists). What was last year like and how many people turned up or how many people do they think will turn up?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

I agree 7pm would be a better time.

The DTO were saying on the radio that about 2000-2500 people attended last years cycle. I would hope there would be the same and hopefully more.

Here are a few photos of last years event.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

plenty of high-vis vests there.

Gawd I hate those things! Each to their own though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

You could argue that it's simply a PR exercise. Then again, if Dublin was really the cycling-friendly city DCC say it is, they wouldn't need to cordon off so much space for this event and lay on so many cops. So events like these also serve to underline how much work still needs to be done by state organisations like the DCC.

Personally, I think of it mainly as a way to show other members of the public, who may have hitherto shied away from cycling or never given it much thought, that cycling in Dublin has devotees from all walks of life. I'd hope that this might remove some of the anti-cycling snobbery you find among certain motorists and (more influentially) motor-industry interest groups.

If the event convinced people that all was fine and dandy as regards cycling in Dublin, I'd be disappointed. But if it made a few more people consider it as a viable, day-to-day form of transport, I'd be satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Gonna be a fantastic evening for it. Maybe the 8pm start will be better as it will have cooled down somewhat.
    I'm not a cyclenut at all, but will be dusting down my old mountain bike and cycling in after work tomorrow for it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

**** I'm gonna miss it.Well have fun all!Should be a blast!

Advertisement