Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house gadgets etc

Options
  • 15-07-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

Didnt want to hijak the thread goin on about new house gadgets but the cat5e cable I have this in my house and I know I was told here already that i could use it as a network but does anybody now anywhere that can tell me ho, I presume I nedd boxes in each room and it terminates in the attic so waht do I do there etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

terminate it in each room with rj45 sockets. These are actually pretty cheap nowadays. The last time I got a pile, I think it was in beltronics, but most electrical places will have them. You will need a krone punch, ask in the place you buy them. A simple lan cable tester also makes things a lot easier, although it is possible to get away without it. Some sort of electrical tester is pretty much essential though.

Terminate the cat 5's the attic to a patch panel or a row of rj45 sockets.

connect all of these (at least the ones you plan to use) to a broadband router (or hub connected to broadband router. You will need patch cables, basically short cat5e cables with RJ45's at each end. Somewhere like beltronics will have these, the local electrical retailer will not.

Then you have a network in every room. You will need a patch cable to connect the computer to the sockets.

Don't have a phone line in the attic? No problem, use one of the cat 5 cables to carry the phone connection up to the attic. Alternatively leave the broadband router where it is and use one of the cat 5 connections to carry it up to the hub in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

let us know how you get on!

Advertisement