Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

question about a slight touch!!

Options
  • 15-07-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭

ok well the other day I was driving and I slightly touched another car (I'm a learner driver and was turning right at a junction, when taking off I rolled back a little few inches first because I didn't accelerate quite enough and the other guy was edging past me to go left at the junction so he was very near) and took some of the paint off, on a very small area at the front of his car. The car owner rang up yesterday and told me it would cost 270 euro to fix....a little tiny bit of paint on a tiny 1992 car!!!! This seems over-priced to me....or am I wrong? What does anyone else think?

EDIT: is it entirely my fault? Surely he was partially at least in the wrong for not having kept a sufficient distance behind? It was only a few inches that I rolled back...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It costs the same to fix a paint scratch like that on a 1992 or 2002. Try http://www.carcraft.ie/ they will do it for between €100 and €150 and offer a mobile service. Offer that to him and say you will not pay €270. After all, he may have got the quote from a main dealer but will get it done cheaper and pocket the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

EDIT: is it entirely my fault? Surely he was partially at least in the wrong for not having kept a sufficient distance behind? It was only a few inches that I rolled back...

As you were'nt in control of your car then you take the blame basicly. Do you have L plates displayed?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

€270 is not a lot of money to repair a car. You have to remember too that this person will be without a car for the day. I'd just pay it on production of a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€270, sounds like a fairly small panel or quarter panel has been resprayed to me. The panel has to be sanded, primed and resprayed. Add paint and labour then it doesn't sound too bad, it could have been alot worse.

I doubt a main dealer would quote that price. A fairly newish car would have cost alot more to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Well i think 270 is a lot for a little brush of paint. I am a jobless student though!! :(

Yes i have L-plates displayed...but do you really think it would be thought of as the car being out of my control??

My dad was with me in the car. Neither of us felt any sort of impact at all so it was simply a little touch. We had absolutely no indication that anything at all had happened until we saw the man get out of his car behind us.

I don't think he is without a car for the day it is being touched-up as he has another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

but do you really think it would be thought of as the car being out of my control??

Your car rolled backwards and hit another car. Unless that's what you meant to do then you were not in control. Just pay the money and treat it as an expensive lesson.

Well i think 270 is a lot for a little brush of paint. I am a jobless student though!! :(
    Unfortunately, it's a car not a fence we're talking about here! As Bazz explained, there's a bit of work in it.
    Yes i have L-plates displayed...but do you really think it would be thought of as the car being out of my control??
    Well you rolled back into him, so yes, unfortunately.
    I don't think he is without a car for the day it is being touched-up as he has another.
    He still needs to bring the car to the repair shop, get back, and do it all again to collect the car. The point I'm making is that he's being inconvenienced.

At the end of the day, and I'm not being mean here, you did damage his car. By the sounds of things he's doing you a favour, he could just go through your insurance. Just pay up, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Hmmm, are you sure it was you that did the damage? A lot of people who own cars that age would be more easygoing about a small tip like that. I wouldn't expect someone to fork out for a bit of paint damage on mine (tis 13yrs old). Strictly speaking though you are at fault if it happened as you described it. Letting your car roll back at a junction would be seen as not having the car under control. If it was only a few inches, he must have been right up your tail, which was silly (or devious) on his behalf. Most drivers would allow a decent bit of space, even more so if it was an 'L' plate in front. We all had to learn sometime, ya know! Situations like turning right at a junction are tricky when you're learning.

Yes the damage was done by my car, there is a very slight scratch on the back of mine (my dad's actually!!) also...unnoticeable really. But this guy said he's currently trying to sell his car so of course I understand why the scratch is v annoying for him!!

I'm not trying to fob the blame off onto someone else, i completely accept that I was at least partly, if not fully, responsible, but I do think that he was too near to me...."right up my tail" as curiosity said. My mom rang a friend of ours who is a guard, just to get his opinion, and he said from what she told him it sounded like 80% my fault, 20% his.

And yea turning right at a junction sucks, lol!! I do treat it as a lesson learned...albeit an expensive one!! :(

He was certainly stupid to be that close to a learner, but I don't think that changes the fact that you rolled into him. One thing you'll learn is over time is that everything to do with cars is very expensive. I completely understand your feeling that €270 is a lot of money but, honestly, in the scale of bodywork repairs it's nothing. If it makes you feel any better, my first accident at age 19 cost IR30,000.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

All I'll say to the OP is that I had the corner of the bumper on a brand new car repaired and reprayed last year for €490 - in Gerry Maguires, one of the most expensive places you can go to in Dublin.

He's ripping you off!!!

On a side note, have you heard of a handbrake? ;)

Big Balls wrote:
    All I'll say to the OP is that I had the corner of the bumper on a brand new car repaired and reprayed last year for €490 - in Gerry Maguires, one of the most expensive places you can go to in Dublin.

He's ripping you off!!!

On a side note, have you heard of a handbrake? ;)
    I surely have!! But for some reason I just didn't use it at that point. Hindsight is a great thing really, isn't it?

We've asked him to take it to a garage that we know is good near us for a second opinion....so we'll have to wait and see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

But this guy said he's currently trying to sell his car so of course I understand why the scratch is v annoying for him!!

How very handy for him. He claims he's selling so as not to come off as a p**k for insisting on the full whack. What is he driving? Now, if it's a decent set of wheels which would sell on its looks/image, I'd feel he was in the right to insist you made good the damage. But if its a typical 14 year old car, with a few bumps and dings, then he's being a bit of a fusspot. I'd bet if it was his money he wouldn't bother. He'd sell it as is as he wouldn't get the value of the repair back in most cars that age. If it was me (my cars only a year younger) I'd probably wave it off as long as the other person apologised. I might take €20 of them for a pint or two if they offered, I don't need the hassle or the bad karma. Good luck with the learning OP:) .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If it's cheap and you're learning offer to buy the car and you can at least have something ready for when you pass your test. The rules of the road would dictate that he shouldn't hev been that close and should have been able to see your rear tyres. Though I generally get as close as possible in heavy traffic unless it's an L or elderly driver in front (there must have been a completely different way of correctly operating a car 60 years ago - the old "swerve left if turning right" effect

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've just gone and done the same, but no damage done. I reversed into a neighbour's car when parking.

If there was no damage in this case i'd say yer man could be trying to squeez ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

We've asked him to take it to a garage that we know is good near us for a second opinion....so we'll have to wait and see!!

You do realise you have no right to ask him to do this? He can take the car to whoever he wants. I'd pay the €270 or whatever (which isn't a ripoff) direct to the garage doing the work and put it down to experience. Thats more than likely a cash figure - if he puts it through your insurance it'll cost more I'd imagine.

As for whether his car is 14 years old or brand new, it doesn't really make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

€270 sounds fairly reasonable to me....just pay it and have done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Check with your insurance company.Even if you do not use them for a claim They will give you advice as to the legality of the situation.

As far as I know a car has to leave a half car gap behind you when you stop. you should be able to see some of his tyres when you are stopped in traffic. This might not apply if the car is passing at an angle to you when you are turning left. Your insurance company should be able to clarify. It could be he was too close to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

they should see your tyres, not u see theirs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Laura Fitz06

did no one ever tell you never take the blame you should of told him to ring the gards his word against yours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

well its a crappy situation, tbh if the fella brought his 12 yo car to my garage and asked for it to be fixed he'd be laughed at, 270 is reasonable (on a 5 yo car) not worth while on a 12 yo car!! in saying that if it were a bently or a rolls i could understand, if you'd rather not sheel out 270 snots, get him to drive to a motor factors and get him to buy a nail varnish size touch up paint. then if he is still insisting that the job is not being done by a profesional pm me ad i'll do it for you (Free of charge)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

emerald did this geezer go into the back of you ?

kdevitt wrote:
    You do realise you have no right to ask him to do this?
    Well maybe, but its hardly infringing on HIS rights just to make a simple request of him. If I had scratched my own car and was going to get it re-touched I would obviously go with the lowest cost available. It is not out of the way to expect him to do the same seeing as it is coming out of my wallet....he would display a lot more decency by doing so.

ninty9er wrote:
    If it's cheap and you're learning offer to buy the car and you can at least have something ready for when you pass your test. The rules of the road would dictate that he shouldn't hev been that close and should have been able to see your rear tyres.
    Lol this was my mom's suggestion too - better to pay 600euros for a whole car than 270 for a teeny dab of paint!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Do you have ANY idea what car it is ?

Hj

Volvoboy wrote:
    then if he is still insisting that the job is not being done by a profesional pm me ad i'll do it for you (Free of charge)
    Volvoboy, thanks a million for that offer, but I think with being in Tipperary it would probably be too inconvenient...hell, he'd probably bill me for the petrol!! ;)

HungryJoey wrote:
    Do you have ANY idea what car it is ?

Hj
    sorry no!! I really am bad at cars....my dad was with me and he didn't even notice what it was either and he normally does look at car models. All I know is that it's small, black/navy and 1992. But it wasn't one that I would immediately recognise like a Micra, Golf, Ka or something. I'd say it could have been an older model...??

....I know that doesn't really tell you much!! :)

just looking in your location thingy Tipp/dublin anywho offer is still there.

Dublin September-May for college, back in Tipp for the summer just :)

• Advertisement

how big was the scatch?

index finger length or a few inches tbh tell him you talked to the guardi which you did and tell him the most reasonable suggestion would be a touch up, 270euro on a 12 yo car is realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy (think i've made my point) silly.

Advertisement