Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

question about a slight touch!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Volvoboy wrote:
    how big was the scatch?

index finger length or a few inches tbh tell him you talked to the guardi which you did and tell him the most reasonable suggestion would be a touch up, 270euro on a 12 yo car is realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy (think i've made my point) silly.

Doesnt matter whether the car is 1 week old or 30 yrs old, the fact is the guy had his car damaged and the fault appears to be on the side of the OP, so he is entitled to have a proper job done to restore the car to its condition before the incident.

The OP has every right to try to bargain an agreement but unfortunately, it is down to the other guy and how reasonable he wants or doesn't want to be.

To the OP, €270 IMO doesn't sound unreasonable. Look at it this way, your driving will probably improve because of it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

did no one ever tell you never take the blame you should of told him to ring the gards his word against yours

Are you suggesting that she should have lied to the Guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Whole situation sucks, IMO. As a fellow learner the one thing that p**sses me off most about other drivers is this. There's a really steep hill leading up to my estate with traffic lights at the top. Every single time I'm stopped there, the car behind pulls right up on my bumper even though I have my L plates prominently displayed. I then panic, knowing that if I slip back even a couple of inches I'm going to hit them, and cut out. Honestly, they can see the L plates, why not leave a few feet between their car and mine? W***ers!
    As for your situation OP, I'd tell the guy to p*ss off, he shouldn't have been that close to you in the first place.

bogmanfan wrote:
    As for your situation OP, I'd tell the guy to p*ss off, he shouldn't have been that close to you in the first place.

So he claims from her insurance? Very clever, bogmanfan, very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Given the amount is relativley small I doubt if it would even pass by the insurance excess amount? Since the OP is a student best bet is to tell the guy you're skint and you can pay him €50 a month till the debt is paid off and see what he says then ;) Take the sting out of it. He has fook all else options!

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote:
    Given the amount is relativley small I doubt if it would even pass by the insurance excess amount? Since the OP is a student best bet is to tell the guy you're skint and you can pay him €50 a month till the debt is paid off and see what he says then ;) Take the sting out of it. He has fook all else options!

Yes he does. As I've just said, he can claim from her insurance. They will pay the full retail cost of the repair & replacement car, and will claim the excess back from the OP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually if I remember rightly if someone runs into the back of you large or small they are at fault!!! Even tho you rolled back onto them there should be a distance between two cars to allow for that roll so it is their fault in 1 respect for getting so close in the first place!! I wouldn't pay out for something like that depending on the circumstances, i.e. there was not enough room for him to turn left and he hit my car, or even that he didn't allow room for the car on front to make room for their manouvere before he proceeded!!

Anan1 wrote:
    Yes he does. As I've just said, he can claim from her insurance. They will pay the full retail cost of the repair & replacement car, and will claim the excess back from the OP.

Guy tried to claim off my insurance for a €200 scratch and the insurance company told him it was too small so go away and deal with me, which he did.
    So before you jump the gun appreciate that every set of circumstances is different.Insurance companies arent arsed with half baked claims like this. If they were your premium would be €3k a year to help fund the 1000 assessors they would need.

Anyway, you cant just go and randomly claim off peoples insurance, the OP could say she "wasnt aware" of any damage after the incident in question and the insurance co would in all probability file it in B for bin.

jonny24ie wrote:
    Actually if I remember rightly if someone runs into the back of you large or small they are at fault!!! Even tho you rolled back onto them there should be a distance between two cars to allow for that roll so it is their fault in 1 respect for getting so close in the first place!! I wouldn't pay out for something like that depending on the circumstances, i.e. there was not enough room for him to turn left and he hit my car, or even that he didn't allow room for the car on front to make room for their manouvere before he proceeded!!

Excellent point. The OP could say he drove into her. His word against hers.
    If hes taking the p1ss on a claim then adopt the USA rulebook, countersue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

eh I don't see the problem here at all, €270 is nothing in terms of having a car sprayed.

It would cost the same if you had scrathed every inch of the panel or if you had put a tiny scratch on it. The entire panel will need to be sanded, primed, flattened, sprayed, laquered and wet sanded then polished.... €270 is a bargain imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement