Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conroe on Komplett

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

twould probably make more sense to wait a week and pick up a cheap x2 3800 after ther price drop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I helped my friend put together a nice little machine from komplett and OCUK, nothing too fancy but a nice step into the world of core2duo.

Its an E6600 system, 1079 euro including VAT and shipping, everything but the peripherals(monitor, inputs, etc.)

Really tempted myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'm defo going to get a conroe system, 2GB of ram, and I'm thinking a 7900GT. I'll possibly stick in two WD3200KS and raid them. I've no idea as towards a mobo though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Thinking about getting an X1800XT for my conroe system, they do really well in Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

twould probably make more sense to wait a week and pick up a cheap x2 3800 after ther price drop

I have though about this for a while and decided not to go x2 just yet. Well chip is ordered now and i hope i can get a 2.7clock or higher if not i will be unhappy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

TomCo wrote:
    Thinking about getting an X1800XT for my conroe system, they do really well in Oblivion.

Why an X1800XT ? So hot and loud running from everything ive read. I suppose they do have supreme cheapness going for them, if you're buying from OcUK.

True.

Just looking at more recent benchmarks though, the 7900Gt seems to do quite well in Oblivion - possibly a driver issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

after reading that article I'm well impressed with the 6600. Does that mean with the right board and ram it could surpass the 4ghz overclock on air or is that the furthest it will overclock to give or take slight elevation due to better mobos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I hear Vista will support flash booting.

Do any mb's around now support that? Any coming along soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Skud wrote:
    after reading that article I'm well impressed with the 6600. Does that mean with the right board and ram it could surpass the 4ghz overclock on air or is that the furthest it will overclock to give or take slight elevation due to better mobos?

Here's a review of the boards:http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11899

I'd say 4Ghz is the max at the mo. In time better boards will come out which will push conroe even a little further.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested in follwoing Pog, just read another very good article on anandtech, a conroe buyer's guide:

Link

No mention of the MSI P965 Platinum, the only board Komplett have listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Here's a review of the boards:http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11899

I'd say 4Ghz is the max at the mo. In time better boards will come out which will push conroe even a little further.

cheers for that, would like to see the benchmarks for the 6600 and the other chips side by side to gauge the best. As was said earlier there's a 67% increase in speeds and it can reach the 4 ghz mark. But beggars cant be choosers atm. Custom pc is out next week, no doubt with the benchmarks of all the chips and maybe mobos available.

The graphs look a bit like this (Im very lazy)

x6800

When things get busy the graphs look like this (so lazy)
    x6800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

lol... tomco.. you remind me of me:D
    i all excited!! :D:D got everything orderd and shiped from ocuk today except from the mighty 6600 which is coming from komplett :D
    oh happy days

Have all my stuff. just waitin on E6600 :D Even put psu in case & hd's in hd cage 2 speed me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

PogMoThoin wrote:

Looking that way indeed, which sucks as I have a Mach II phase cooler that would scream on the Conroe if I got a board that supported 450MHz FSB+. I could get a XE6800 I suppose.. but its really not worth it just for unlocked multi.

Matt

I'm waiting till the start of September, hopfully there will be a better choice of boards by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Start of september for me too. Don't want to spend 200 quid for a lemon of an early adopter board. I can afford a full upgrade if I wait till then too :) Raptor 150 here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Anyone know what the stock HSF is like I don't plan on overlcocking until the thing starts going out of date ... (thats 2 months then :) ) so dont require buying a seperate HSF unless the stock is noisy.

• Advertisement

Thats something I want to know too, I've heard no mention of it.

Intels HSF's are usually woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

^whitey^ wrote:
    Anyone know what the stock HSF is like I don't plan on overlcocking until the thing starts going out of date ... (thats 2 months then :) ) so dont require buying a seperate HSF unless the stock is noisy.

I like the HSF they supply with the CPU. All you need is a well cooled case and you can OC pritty well. Ok it wont be as good as the ones you go out and buy but i get a good 650mhz OC with the stock HSF on my 3000+ chip and it only goes a slight bit over 40C on full load.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

But thats AMD we're talking conroe here :)
    Couldn't see it in any of the reviews i've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

getting tempted to buy a 2nd machine for lanning...

have a skt939 SD 3700, would like to have dualcore but don't want to spend the money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Apparently the Gigabyte boards is meant to be a great peformer:

http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12447

Results in green indicate a lead.

STOCK results:

3D Mark 06 (Default settings)
    ASUS - 4097
    Gigabyte - 4162

3D Mark 2001 SE (Default settings)
    ASUS - 29048
    Gigabyte - 29149

Aquamark 3 (Default settings)
    ASUS - 93215
    Gigabyte - 94564

Super Pi 32M (Realtime priority)
    ASUS - 25m 47.812s
    Gigabyte - 25m 43.485s

F.E.A.R
    ASUS - Min (25), Avg (47), Max (102)
    Gigabyte - Min (27), Avg (47), Max (103)

OVERCLOCKED results:

3D Mark 06 (Default settings)
    ASUS - 4592
    Gigabyte - 4596

3D Mark 2001 SE (Default settings)
    ASUS - 37146
    Gigabyte - 37887

Aquamark 3 (Default settings)
    ASUS - 104728
    Gigabyte - 112849

Super Pi 32M (Realtime priority)
    ASUS - 17m 54.032s
    Gigabyte - 19m 08.913s

F.E.A.R
    ASUS - Min (31), Avg (57), Max (128)
    Gigabyte - Min (34), Avg (66), Max (150)

Ya, saw that but Asus has way more features. I wonder how my Dfi board compares to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Komplett expect to have some Core2Duo stock on 21/08/2006. Nearly a month after launch, how disappointing:(

Just saw this aswell, glad i didnt hold out for conroe now, mucho gaming time lost, altho in this heat there is little gaming to be had.

Its interesting observing the slight shift on OCUK also, many of the 'conroe or die' brigade seem tempted by AMDs price cuts. It seems there availability of only the top of the line, wallet-busting X6800 is not proving too popular, as a lot of ppl think this is a scam to cash in on the conroe euphoria by forcing ppl to spend 1000 euro on a processor.

Im tempted by an X2 5000+, 300 euro and no need to change anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Smart move by AMD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Just saw this aswell, glad i didnt hold out for conroe now, mucho gaming time lost, altho in this heat there is little gaming to be had.

Its interesting observing the slight shift on OCUK also, many of the 'conroe or die' brigade seem tempted by AMDs price cuts. It seems there availability of only the top of the line, wallet-busting X6800 is not proving too popular, as a lot of ppl think this is a scam to cash in on the conroe euphoria by forcing ppl to spend 1000 euro on a processor.

Im tempted by an X2 5000+, 300 euro and no need to change anything else!
    Yep, that's the main thing going for AMD. 99% of enthusiast computer owners are AMD owners, so buying a single chip is a lot cheaper than chip+memory+mobo.

Advertisement