Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conroe on Komplett

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Yeah but enthusiasts care about performance not value.

If enthusiasts cared about value the FX series wouldn't exist nor would the EE series or the GTX series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

whats the ee

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

awhir wrote:
    whats the ee
    Every Extend! :D(lol Google translator)

No, it stands for Intel's "Extreme Edition" CPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, the top of the line, rolls royce chips are just that, a very exclusive niche for people who are both heavy users and own large, golf course-hugging villas in the Algarve.

Eveyone here who has an FX-62 raise your hand!

So, while we would all love to have top of the line machines every few months, for MOST users, this move by AMD will be appreciated, just look at the reactions on these boards for proof.

Plus, the fun of overclocking is buying a chip that it is not at the top of the pile and making it so through ingenuity and careful hardware choices.

SO while you are very right TomCo, i think the real definition of a computer enthusiast (I assume these are the enthusiasts you are referring to) is someone who wants top of the line performance derived from a value component (and i dont mean value in the same way as Tesco label their cheap-o range of food)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well i've gone super high end ONCE AGAIN, yes friends.
    I have a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 + 2GB of G.SKILL DDRII 800 memory, a brand spanky new OCZ GameXtreme 700W PSU.

I have a cheap Celly on the way to tide me over while i await my Conroe E6600, add to that i have a Thermalright Ultra-90 and two Evercool PWM fans for a push/pull configuration.

Roll on my uber build!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Post some benchies @ stock 2 compare. i'm not oc'ing for while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

well pog i guess you going to have to start it... i missed out on the preorder for my conroe....so i have to wait like a shmo till the 21st before im up and ready :( but on the plus side i got my mobo bios updated so im all set :D

:rolleyes: Dont worry, I'll wait on stock 4 ya........hehe (if i can hold myself back that is) :D

Like my new sig?

oh of course (going green) i want my cronoe (crying) ;) you realy went to town with that.. you buy all that new or reused some??

my end rig is.... : Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi, Patriot 1GB PC8000 1000MHz @ 5-5-5-15 eased,antec 450w, Akasa EVO Blue Heatpipe Copper, aerocool Aero-X202 case, ATI Radeon X1900 ***Crossfire Edition***, Western Digital Caviar 320GB SATA-II, 240gb IDE, and waiting on e6600 :(

pog you going to midlans in october?

also want to try to finish moding my case before xmas :D... going to try get that powergate from aerocool :)http://aerocool.us/p-peripheral/powerwatch/powerwatch.html
    and make a cool sticker thing for my side panel of all the game characters :D

Yep, bought all new. Thank fcuk for ssia cash. All i got ere is a sh1tty dell which i'm gonna sell in 1 piece (easier).
    Splashed out on this other day:
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-fp52.htm
    Dunno how its gonna work with led fans. I'll see how it goes. Looks cool tho.

Dunno bout midlans, was plannin to go 2 next galway 1 when it's announced. I could change my mind tho. gonna want to show this beast off. have 2 see what missis says :D . Midlans is in athlone, isn't it? same distance as galway. I'll pm ya if i change my mind.

How soon do you expect to get your E6600? Are you waitin for Komplett?
    Post some pics when ya get your rig modded. Nice specs :D
    Good luck.

Edit: i see midlans is on 29th july on room101. is there another 1 in oct or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I'd be intrested to see if the new intel chip improves FPS in games by much over the AMD. Dont care about folding, ripping or 3d stuff just games is what matters for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

PogMoThoin wrote:
    :rolleyes: Post some benchies @ stock 2 compare. i'm not oc'ing for while.

bah them cores are just ichin for it.make it happy and heat it up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

BadCharlie wrote:
    I'd be intrested to see if the new intel chip improves FPS in games by much over the AMD. Dont care about folding, ripping or 3d stuff just games is what matters for me.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Bit of a controversial piece, but does have a good point about almost all games will be GPU rather than CPU limited unless you have quite high end GFX.

That said I still want a conroe because source engine games looooooooove CPU power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Can i just add that i have two new generation WD Raptors in RAID 0, 16MB cache, X-Fi, SATA DVD-RW.......... :-)

And a crappy ATI X550, but i'm holding out for a Direct X 10 GPU!!

yeah the big midlans is in october 400 ppl!!!! going to be mad!!
    komplett are saying on their web 21st august :( but my friend, evd burner who is in the same boat as me says they prob have them in way before then... have to just wait and see i guess.. but on the plus side they say they will have 171 of the e6600 on that date so no one will go without :)

is it just me or has this tread gone way off topic :)

ill post some pics as soon as i can hehe i just cleaned up my room on arrival of my conroe :D might even photoshop the powergate in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Can i just add that i have two new generation WD Raptors in RAID 0, 16MB cache, X-Fi, SATA DVD-RW.......... :-)

And a crappy ATI X550, but i'm holding out for a Direct X 10 GPU!!

Oh u might be wating sometime then. These cards might even get delayed it has happened in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

any word on Merom store dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

TomCo wrote:
    Yeah but enthusiasts care about performance not value.

I don't agree. "Performance at any cost" is not an option for the majority of computer enthusiasts. Overclocking/Tweaking was born out of trying to get more performance for little or no extra money.
    If enthusiasts cared about value the FX series wouldn't exist nor would the EE series or the GTX series.

Not every enthusiast has a grand to splurge on a chip that won't be worth half that in 6-9 months.
    The performance-per-euro metric is more important to more enthusiasts.
    Why spend 100% more money for a 10-15% performance increase when you can just spend the difference on better components and overclock a slower chip - thereby ending up with a better overall system forthe same or less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

SyxPak wrote:
    I don't agree. "Performance at any cost" is not an option for the majority of computer enthusiasts. Overclocking/Tweaking was born out of trying to get more performance for little or no extra money.

Not every enthusiast has a grand to splurge on a chip that won't be worth half that in 6-9 months.
    Why spend 100% more money for a 10-15% performance increase when you can just spend the difference on better components and overclock a slower chip - thereby ending up with a better overall system forthe same or less money.

very well put

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

SyxPak wrote:

Seconded, that was exactly my reasoning when building my system. More performance for less cost. If the most expensive chip OC'd way past its retail specs then I'd understand, but that seldom is the case and the cheaper chips seem to be the best OC'ers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Would I be a fool to order my conroe now form komplett, and order a board in and around the time the chip is expected to be deleivered. I'm kinda hoping on a nforce board. My thnking is there is going to be a queue for them for awhile?

no you wouldnt... the queue is gone.... thats why i didnt get mine:( on the release date, orderd it too late....have you not seen how many komplett have orderd of the e6600 ...... 171 !! but if your buying a mobo to look at ocuk they seem to have a lot much boards... and can be cheaper in some places

I ordered a e6600. I wonder if my xp-120 will be good for it? I assume I'll have to get the 775 retention kit.

Actually, is there any problems with an XP 120 on any socket 775 boards? Thermaltake say there aren't?
    Anywho, anyone have any idea when Nforce 590 based conroe boards will be out?

Advertisement