Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of replacing fuel pump myself, am I foolish?

Options
  • 15-07-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

As the title indicates, the fuel pump in my car went a few days ago. My cars a 13 yo Mk 3 1.4 golf with 183,000 miles on it. She's been a great little car, its been in the family since twas brand new. Anyway, this is the 3rd time I've had a pump die on me (the first was at 100,000 miles, the second at 133,000).

So I figured I may as well get it fixed so that I can look for a new car at my ease. However this has been a costly repair in the past, I think around €300+ each time. So the thought occurred to me this morning, why not do it myself?
    Is it just as simple as popping old one out and dropping new one in? I'm not one of those people who services their own vehicle, beyond topping up the oil etc.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what could make me so jinxed with pumps? Over the years I've heard theories ranging from dirty fuel to having to little fuel in the tank, forcing the pump to work harder and thus fail sooner. I use standard unleaded. For the last 20,000 miles my filling up practice has been to let tank go down into reserve, and then fill up to the brim. I'd hate to think I'm doing something silly that would mean I'll have the same problem in the next car I get.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Depends on the fuel system used. Unfortuantely I'm not that well up on golfs. Usually, the fuel pump is actually in/on the tank itself, can be a bugger to get at.

Actually change over is a piece of cake theough - unplug fuel lines, disconnect, pop in the new one, reconnect. One thing you will have to do is release all the fuel pressure (quite a bit in modern cars, and huge in diesels). This is usually done by removing the fuel pump fuse and turning the engine over / running it until it stops.

A search through one of the Golf owners forums might help with the specifics. Getting at the tank could be easy or a nightmare.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

mmenarry wrote:
    Depends on the fuel system used. Unfortuantely I'm not that well up on golfs. Usually, the fuel pump is actually in/on the tank itself, can be a bugger to get at.

Actually change over is a piece of cake theough - unplug fuel lines, disconnect, pop in the new one, reconnect. One thing you will have to do is release all the fuel pressure (quite a bit in modern cars, and huge in diesels). This is usually done by removing the fuel pump fuse and turning the engine over / running it until it stops.

A search through one of the Golf owners forums might help with the specifics. Getting at the tank could be easy or a nightmare.

M.

Thanks, actually the pump is in the boot. I'd unscrewed the covering plate and it didn't look too complicated, as you said, two fuel lines and a electrical connection clip. But I dropped up to my usual independent repair man and he quoted me €200, including the filter. So I think I'll let the professionals handle it, to avoid making a fool of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

good move i hate making a fool of myself...happens quite a lot...goddammit i just done it again didnt i!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

How much experience have you had repairing car parts and also those of hte fuel system.

Does this car have the 2 pump setup, 1 in tank, 1 under the floor and if so, which one has failed.

It's not difficult, but does require care and attention.... it fuel, not water.

Advertisement