Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crankshaft seal leaking, Question

Options
  • 15-07-2006 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager, and the crankshaft seal needs to be replaced as I have noticed oil leaking from here. I've noticed the clutch slipping recently. Could anyone tell me if this seal could be causing oil to leak onto the clutch?
    A diagram of a cross section of this area would be helpful too for me to see the location of such parts, if anyone has one or knows where I'd find one online could you please let me know... Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know nothing about Voyagers, but I had a Mk2 Golf once, and the crankshaft oil seal leaked oil onto the clutch. The seal is right beside the clutch, and you have to remove the clutch to get at it. As far as I can remember, the job cost a little more than a straightforward clutch replacement would have. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I agree with Anan1, oil could definitely leak onto the clutch and cause it to slip or possiby judder. This may be a stupid question but are you sure the oil leak is coming from the gearbox side of the engine. Because there is another crankshaft oil seal at the timing gear side, obviously if this leaks oil it won't get onto the clutch but it could degrade a rubber timing belt and cause it to break. Also are you sure it is engine oil that is leaking as opposed to gearbox oil. It doesn't really make a difference as it's probably a similar job to replace the crank seal or the gearbox input seal. Buit it would make a difference if you are ordering parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I am well versed with the US spec version of those vans, I have one.

But first, what year, engine and gearbox, and whily you say GV, is it the short wheelbase or the long wheelbase, I was not aware of any LWB with manual gearbox.

And what country, UK/IRL or LHD EU?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wesoneill

It's a 2002 (early 2003 model), 2.5 diesel, 5 speed manual gearbox and I'm in Ireland. And it's short wheel base. It is leaking from the gearbox side Brian... Thanks for this lads, it's actually my Da's taxi but I'm sure I'll have plenty more Q's for you in the coming weeks as I'm putting a 93 Calibra back on the road after 9 months!
    Any advise other than the obvious; Charge Battery, Oil Change, Sparks, Sand the breaks, etc...
    Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

That version engine is not sold here.
    However, if you have oil in teh clutch it would stick the plates to the flywheel, so getting it in to any gear woudl be difficult, expecially reverse.

Are you sure it is engine oil and not gear oil?. You can get a tracer additive to determine, if you are not sure.

Anyway, it soulds like 2 problems, an oil leak AND an work clutch.

But given it is a small engine, getting the gearbox out of that one is pretty easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement