Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Razor, electric or otherwise

• 15-07-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm sick to death of emerging from the bathroom looking like my neck was on the wrong end of a bastard mix of a cheese grater and some sandpaper. I have to shave every day cos the growth is fast and the hair thick and the neck isn't too fond of having some cold steel ripping layers of skin off every morning. I was wondering if electric razors are better for leaving skin intact while also giving a close shave. If so, which of the two types (foil and rotary) are better? I have done a search on this but there seems to be conflicting opinions on the subject. How do the old style razors (the steel ones where you have to screw in the actual blades) compare to a high end disposable? Apart from the risk to the jugular, are they any good as far as skin survival goes? Finally, What about the cut-throat razors (especially when shaving hungover!)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I use an electric when im in a rush and mach 3 razors normally, i dont get skin rash from either but the electric isnt nearly as close as the mach 3's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Electric razors probably cause more damage than any other kind of razor. Dragging metal blades and foils over unlubricated skin isn't good for you. The more time you spend preparing your face before hand, the better the products you use and the more care you take with the actual shaving the better the results you will get.

How to get that perfect shave

Makes for a very good read. The old style double edged razors give a very good shave, I use one myself. There is a bit of a learning curve, but the results will be better for most people than a mach 3 once you get to grips with it. It is also the cheapest option, I picked up a 2 years supply of probably the best blades on the market for $10. The same cost would buy me a month of mach 3 shaves. I can't comment from experience on the cut-throat, but it probably gives even better results than a DE. The learning curve on this is steeper though, they are expensive, and require maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I still use my trusty old Mach 3 but I am thinking of changing to a decent electric one if I can get my hands on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Ok, I might try one o them double edged jobs and keep clear of the jugular, cheers lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Got the new Gillette Fusion razor when I was out in America-great shave off it, totally smooth and no burn or redness, I'd highly recommend it, when it comes out here, which should be sometime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

I've tried so many different types and I have to say the old style double edged ones have worked out best for me. Just make sure you wash your face first before (ideally shower but sometimes you just dont have the time), use a good shave oil (I use king of shaves its really good), get a shaving brush to put on shaving foam over the oil, it lifts the hairs and gives a less painful and closer shave, shave in the direction of the grain, and use a good after shave moisturiser or balm, not normal after shave, the alcohol dries the skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I think Machs 3 and quattro's are crap. I have really tough stubble on my chin and its like hacking throuhg a forest with those razors. They dont even give a close shave. The disposables give a way closer shave, although Im sure they take half the skin off my face in the process. Im gonna try one of those double edged ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The best shave you can get is from a skilled barber with a good old fashioned straight razor (the kind mobsters used to hide in their hats for murdering people with).

Definitely worth checking out is the "Prince" shaving cream from Lush. Just ask any of the people who have stroked and/or licked my head after I've used it on my scalp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Talliesin wrote:
    The best shave you can get is from a skilled barber with a good old fashioned straight razor (the kind mobsters used to hide in their hats for murdering people with).
    QUOTE]

Definetly the best way to go if you want the ultimate shave, or looking for a relaxing way to waste away 30 minutes. I couldn't stop rubbing my cheeks and neck the first time I got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I use an electric and get a very close shave on my current model.

But you do have to spend a bit on a decent one. Mine was around €170... it's one of the philips ones that squirts lotion out.

I've also used a €60 one that I got as a gift, and it was completely useless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement