Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restoring SqlServer 2005 db back to SqlServer 2000 db

Options
  • 15-07-2006 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been working at home on a nixer using Sql Server 2005 express edition as the db. I now need to upload it onto the work server which runs SqlServer 2000.

Would it be possible for me to make a backup of the db and then just restore it onto the work server ??? (i cant try it until monday).

I dont imagine it is this easy so any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm almost certain that the DB isn't backwards compatible.

If the two machines were networked, and you had access to the Data Transfirnation Services in SQL 2000 (I don't think you get the equivalent with 2005 ExpEd) it'd be fairily simple, but thats not much help if one's at home and the other at work.

Does bcp come with ExpEd? If so, you can create scripts for all the objects, and use bcp to dump and load the data to "flat" files.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

managed to use the SQL Server 2005 script generator wizard to script the whole DB to a new query window in 2000 format, which has just saved me a couple of hours, cool !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

grahamor wrote:
    managed to use the SQL Server 2005 script generator wizard to script the whole DB to a new query window in 2000 format, which has just saved me a couple of hours, cool !

Doesn't bring your data though, does it?

If not, Thats what you might want bcp for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I think you could also add it as a Linked database and export your schema and data that way

don't forget that the SQL security model is a bit different in 2000/2005

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

SQL Server 2005 has a compatibility level you can set per database. You can set a database to be compatible with SQL 2000 (80 for SQL 2k). You should then be able to backup and restore to SQL 2000.

• Advertisement
Advertisement