Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book finishes about 50 pages before it should

Options
  • 15-07-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

About 6 months ago I bought a book in Waterstones. It went into my "to read" pile and a few days ago I started reading it. I went to look up a footnote and discovered that it is incomplete. It has 250 pages and according to the title's page on Amazon it should have 300, in fact the entire last chapter is missing.

According to your sticky;
    If the goods have been used for some time, or if there is undue delay in making the complaint, or if there is reason to believe that the goods have been accepted, the consumer's entitlement, at best, may be to a repair or to a partial refund.

There are no hard and fast rules as each case has to be considered on its merits.

When I bought it I had no reason to believe it was not fit for purpose however in using I've discovered that this is the case even though I purchased it 6 months ago, so where do I stand?

It's a Penguin Paperback btw, their quality control department apparently on holiday, asleep, attending gender sensitivity workshops or whatever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Bring it back, if it is clear that the book was missing the pages due to a fault they shouldn't have a problem with swapping it unless they really want to be tossers. The time delay might be an issue but it is a clear case of a product being sold that is unfit for it's purpose.

I have a mate in the book trade, there are a lot of returns from bookshops for various reasons. I must ask him if missing pages is a common problem, haven't heard of it before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you have proof of purchase, there's little doubt in my mind that they're replace it. If you don't they might replace it, but they have no requirement to.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

That's good to hear - I still have the receipt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am sure penguin would also send you out another one if you rang them. there's probably a whole batch screwed up like this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am sure penguin would also send you out another one if you rang them. there's probably a whole batch screwed up like this.

I agree,I cant image this happened to just your book.Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I had a situation were I got to page 97, turned over and 98 to 149 were gone. They had printed later chapters. I had bought book in UK, wasn't going to be there for some time. I emailed the publisher, got a very speedy response - they immediately despatched new copy of book, a complimentary 2nd book - and told me just to throw the other away.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Went to Waterstones this morning. The chap at the counter pointed out that their returns policy only covers first 21 days. I pointed out that I could only have discovered this when I started reading it last week. The Waterstones guy said he'd see what he could do, he went away for about 10 minutes, probably searching through the stores and came back with a new & complete copy.

So well done Waterstones - 100% customer satisfaction :)

(I'll always check when I buy a book in future though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

pork99 wrote:
    Went to Waterstones this morning. The chap at the counter pointed out that their returns policy only covers first 21 days. I pointed out that I could only have discovered this when I started reading it last week. The Waterstones guy said he'd see what he could do, he went away for about 10 minutes, probably searching through the stores and came back with a new & complete copy.

So well done Waterstones - 100% customer satisfaction :)

(I'll always check when I buy a book in future though)

Thats good that they replaced it, but that "21 day return policy" is actually an exchange policy ie, if you wanted to change the book or get your money back. It does not apply (cannot apply) to goods that do not satisfy the Sale of Goods Act. The guy just must have been new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They really should have taken it without question, there is no way that the wholesaler wouldn't give them credit for the faulty book in these circumstances, no matter how old it was.

But well done to them for sorting it out in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i used to work in a bookbinders.
    could happen fairly easily if someone wasnt watchin what they were doin and the safeties were turned off.
    when a hopper gets emptied the line should stop, but who knows what way some people have their equipment set up

• Advertisement
Advertisement