Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble connecting NTL USB Modem

• 16-07-2006 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

What is the correct way to connect my NTL modem to my pc via USB?

Do I install the drivers first, then connect the modem? Or connect the modem then install the drivers?

There was a lightning storm recently, and it took out my PC. It hit the communal aerial in the area, went up my cable modem, and fried my PC (had the modem connected to my PC via USB at the time). Could the NTL modem's USB port be fried? If I ring NTL will they send a replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

if your PC got fried as a result of the lightning, i would hazard a guess that the modem did too...

When you turn it on to any lights come on?
    If so, what lights stay constantly on?

With regard software - it's usually the case of installing drivers and then attaching the device. Thoug tbh you're better off using the ethernet port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

sorry, forgot to say that the ethernet connection on the modem works perfectly, I'm browsing on it now ;)

But I need to use the USB, because I want my pc to act as a gateway for another pc to access the internet through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

mang87 wrote:
    But I need to use the USB, because I want my pc to act as a gateway for another pc to access the internet through

Buy a cheap router. Using USB and Ethernet is not advised and you will have to unplug the modem each time you use a different PC. You will NOT be able to use the two PCs simultaneously the way you are doing it.

paulm17781 wrote:
    You will NOT be able to use the two PCs simultaneously the way you are doing it.

Uhm, yes I can lol wtf, I've been using it that way up until my pc got fried by the lightning. I enabled internet sharing, and my pc acted as a router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

mang87 wrote:
    Uhm, yes I can lol wtf, I've been using it that way up until my pc got fried by the lightning. I enabled internet sharing, and my pc acted as a router.

Why don't you give the guy a break ? No need to be so condescending when you were the person looking for advice and someone was trying to help you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Why don't you give the guy a break ? No need to be so condescending when you were the person looking for advice and someone was trying to help you. :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't mean to sound condescending.

But will NTL provide me with a new modem, or will I have to pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

mang87 wrote:

Wow you're ignorant. You can't diagnose a simple modem problem yet you try to act like you things, perhaps if you explained your set up better people would be able to point you to a solution. Do your best to electrocute yourself when you're trying to fix it.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Wow you're ignorant. You can't diagnose a simple modem problem yet you try to act like you things, perhaps if you explained your set up better people would be able to point you to a solution. Do your best to electrocute yourself when you're trying to fix it.

Hi paulm17781,

If you had read what I had posted, you would have noticed I wanted to use my pc as an internet gateway for another pc on my network, never did I say I wished to use both ethernet and USB at the one time. :)
    mang87 wrote:

^^ I.E internet sharing

Anyway, will NTL replace it, or will I have to pay for it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mang87 wrote:
    If you had read what I had posted, you would have noticed I wanted to use my pc as an internet gateway for another pc on my network, never did I say I wished to use both ethernet and USB at the one time. :)

paulm17781 assumption was correct, most people don't use the NTL modem in the way that you describe. It is not advised to use the USB port on the modem. The norm is to buy a Broadband router and use the Ethernet from the NTL modem to connect to the BB router and then connect the two pc's to the router via ethernet or wireless.

If the ethernet on the modem is working, but not the USB, then it is likely that the modem is fine and that it is your PC that has the problem, therefore, no, NTL probably won't replace the modem. But why don't you ring them and ask, only they can give you an official answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

mang87 wrote:
    There was a lightning storm recently, and it took out my PC. It hit the communal aerial in the area, went up my cable modem, and fried my PC (had the modem connected to my PC via USB at the time).

I doubt this was the route the lightning took
    if it was then your tv/vcr/digital box (if you have one) /anything connected to the cable would be fried

all your neighbours would have the same problem(s) as well

the lightning would not have just selected the usb port - it would have totally fried the internals of the modem so ethernet would not work either

sounds like your pc usb port is the problem

one of these might be a good buy as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement