Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killer throat

• 16-07-2006 5:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, this is probably very minor but I was wondering how long I should leave a sore throat before going into the doctor to get it checked out?

It felt like just an ordinary sore throat about a week ago but since then I've had a few nights out and it seems to have become much worse, with sharp pain in my tonsils which means swallowing (and sleeping as a consequence) is very difficult.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you taken anything like strepsils or something? You might have some sort of an infection, best get it checked out anyway to be sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This thread better addressed in a medical forum? Would think that the OP should consult a GP, too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This thread better addressed in a medical forum? Would think that the OP should consult a GP, too?

Good lord, imagine the amount of lawsuits slapped on boards if there was such a forum! :D Just go to the doctor when you get a chance OP.

"Ruu told me to cut open my stomach and remove my liver because it was probably not working anymore, I just did that now I feel worse!" :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ruu wrote:
    Good lord, imagine the amount of lawsuits slapped on boards if there was such a forum! :D Just go to the doctor when you get a chance OP.

"Ruu told me to cut open my stomach and remove my liver because it was probably not working anymore, I just did that now I feel worse!" :)

Ruu, you do have a valid point! The same point could be made in our legal forum or in threads that ask for advice on stock tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Back on topic you lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

i have a sore throat too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to pharmacist today, go to doctor tomorrow. I can understand a sore throat lasting a few days, but not more than a week.

I'd lay off the booze for a few days also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'm gettin my tonsils out on the 8th of August, i'm a bit worried cos i know the older you are when you get them out the worse you feel after the operation. To be honest though anything has to be better than a dose of tonsilitus. OP just gargle with Disprin that should tide you over until you visit the Doc tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I get it at least once in a while and i find augmentin works wonders when i can barely swallow it seems to clear up nicely and numbs the pain far more effectivly than over the counter treatments, however it isnt for a minor sore throat and bear in mind it is a prescription drug.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sounds like you have tonsilitis, OP. This is not medical advice, I'm just speaking from experience. I've gotten it 5 times this year, with symptoms including a mild to extremely severe sore throat, difficulty swallowing, lack of appetite, fever and inability to sleep.

It generally clears itself up in about a week to ten days, but it would probably still be a good idea to see your gp. S/he can put you on a course of penicillan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Faith wrote:
    Sounds like you have tonsilitis, OP. This is not medical advice, I'm just speaking from experience. I've gotten it 5 times this year, with symptoms including a mild to extremely severe sore throat, difficulty swallowing, lack of appetite, fever and inability to sleep.

It generally clears itself up in about a week to ten days, but it would probably still be a good idea to see your gp. S/he can put you on a course of penicillan.

Penicillan is baad!

My advice would be to ride the storm. Rest yourself for 3 days, drink lots and
    lots of drinks and stay in bed. If its not better after 3 days of TLC then
    go to the doc but i think you'll find most things like this are sorted
    if you treat yourself to 3 days of real TLC;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

My best advice, see a doctor anytime you can. They'll tell you what you need.

And what is with sore throats this weather? Got one meself and I know at least 2 others who do as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I've had my tonsils removed, but was plagued with tonsilitis about a dozen times a year before I had them out. What you describe sounds like acute tonsilitis to me.

You need to see a doctor, tbh. Tonsilitis is an infection, and infections generally don't just clear themselves up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Penicillan is baad!

Uh, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

More than 10 days, see a GP (Old wisdom words ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sounds like you could have an infection. check your glands to see if they're swolen. consult a GP/pharmacist asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

heres what everyone should do when they have a sore throat
    eat 2 slices of dry toast
    gargle mouth wash for about 30 seconds
    wait a minute -eat something and if its not completely pain free go to the doctor

i used to get lots of throat problems sometimes in bed for weeks, but once i figured out the above test, i'll either recover unaided, or go on antibiotios and be fine in about 4 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. Bought a pack of Strepsils yesterday, always thought them just lumps of hyped-up sugar but they really worked!

I seem to get this sort of extremely sore throat a few times a year so I might just ask about it next time I'm at the GP and see what I can do.

Advertisement