Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record Breaking Temps???

Options
  • 16-07-2006 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Regarding extremes, the highest air temperature recorded in Ireland was + 33.3°C at Kilkenny Castle 26th June 1887. The record maximum during the 20th century is +32.5°C at Boora, Co. Offaly on 29th June 1976.

Ok this week is a good of chance as any to break inland record temperatures.
    As August tends to be our wamest/hottest month,this summer has proved to be one of the best in years and were only mid way through.
    Sunshine,temps,and very little rainfall is setting up nicely for a record summer in these three cats.

So will we beat 33.3c? 50/50 what do you think.

Will we break Irish temperature records this week. 25 votes

Yes we will exceed record breaking temps
    0% 0 votes
    It will get over 30c,but no records
    12% 3 votes
    Not even close but it will be warm high 20s
    88% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I dont think we will.

I think today temperatures might get to 27 or 28c.
    Tomorrow looks even hotter with temperatures upto 30c inland.
    On Tuesday temperatures will be very very hot upto 31c.

But its Wednesday when temperatures may give the record
    a scare. the intense heat will be in the east. 850hpa temps
    of +15c. Temperatures by 4pm could reach 32c inland.

But i cant see us hitting the record at the moment.

Although extremely hot for us;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think we will get over 30C but we wont break the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

darkman2 wrote:
    I think we will get over 30C but we wont break the record.
    My thinking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Maybe, at least 3 NRA sites reported > 30 today but I don't know yet if any official stations got to 30. If they did there might just be a chance on Wednesday for > 33.3 if as the forecast says each day until then will be warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Ok we have reached over 30c today in some parts.Will it break the 33.3c record tomorrow measured at Kilkenny as it seems to be the warmest place in Ireland.
    It will feel every bit warmer tomorrow due to the increase in humidity,so values of 25c and 75% humidity will make it feel like 30c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'll go for 31.5 in Kilkenny tomorrow (as the Ireland max - probably this year) if conditions remain optimal.
    If the sky remains totally clear and humidity low than anythings possible even records..but 31 ish is my guess

I wonder what the return value is on this ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

31.5c was the max today as per Eagle on the 9.25. Appeared over N Laois, S Offaly on the map. I got 31.2c here in S Laois with my re-adjusted sensor in a screen.

Close, but no cigar... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Danno wrote:
    31.5c was the max today as per Eagle on the 9.25. Appeared over N Laois, S Offaly on the map. I got 31.2c here in S Laois with my re-adjusted sensor in a screen.

Close, but no cigar... :(

Well thats hot,nearly 8c warmer than what i got.Best of luck with that heat Danno.It be worse tomorrow with the higher humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently 18.7c It fell quickly after sundown but seems to be holding now.

I am not looking forward to the humidity tomorrow. Thankfully I took a walk this evening to sweat out any remaining Arthur Guinness from Sunday night outta me!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Max temps since 1958 (As far back as CSO have) Many of these would be station records.
    I've added in overall if different
    19th July 2006

Station July Overall
    Belmullet 28.7 (1976) 29.9C
    Birr 30.8 (1983) 31.2 Jun 76
    Valentia 29.7 (1976)
    Casement 29.8 (1983) 30.5 Aug 75 31.0C
    Clones 30.5 (1983)
    Cork AP 28.7 (1983)
    Dublin AP 27.6 (1983) 28.7 Aug 90
    Kilkenny 31.4 (1983) 31.5 Jun 76
    Malin Head 27.0 (1976)
    Mullingar 29.7 (1983)
    Rosslare 26.2 (1983)
    Shannon 30.6 (1983) 31.6 Jun 76

EDIT: formatting went astray, but still quite readable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement