Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League marketing starved

• 16-07-2006 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Mention here of the eircom League marketing department being denied promised resources, but no source given. Has anyone come across this elsewhere?
    http://bohsnews.crispynews.com/article/show/11051

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

More spectators might be tempted to give the league a try if the achievements of the three clubs in Europe were trumpeted as they deserved to be but the silence from the league was deafening. Apparently, the league’s marketing department isn’t getting some of the money pledged to it and no attempt is being made to sell the game to the public in the manner that the GAA and IRFU have pursued with considerable success.

Poop, nothing will change even with marketting, go stand by a river in richmond overlooking a mound of rubble, sit in an empty stadium in tolka with a row of seats to yourself, stand in the shed in Dalymount and be wary of the bats eyeing you up.

Even if we all had pretty stadiums fully seated, still wont make a difference to attds.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

KdjaC wrote:
    still wont make a difference to attds.

I don't know about that. We could do with a good run in europe, more televised games a national academy that feeds the league with young talent and maybe a bit more hype in general. It certainly helped the Premiership (the hype I mean!)

The league going professional/semi-pro will help the standard.

You can't just give up on trying to raise attendance. If we ever do get attendances up we could keep/bring in some higher quality players.

evilhomer wrote:

The league going professional/semi-pro will help the standard.

Funny point that, with the raising of the standard and the negative football professionals create, does it mean that if Drogheda and others play the way they are atm that altho its horrendous to watch the standard has been raised?

Flat back 8 win 1-0 score in 90th minute with your only shot on goal, people actually want to watch that?

Kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

KdjaC wrote:
    Flat back 8 win 1-0 score in 90th minute with your only shot on goal, people actually want to watch that?

If the charlton years convinced me of anything is that the Irish public will put up with ANYTHING so long as there's a nice big occasion and a win at the end of it.

KdjaC wrote:
    does it mean that if Drogheda and others play the way they are atm that altho its horrendous to watch the standard has been raised?

Technically, yes they have raised the standard (regardless of how pretty it is).
    Teams will have to have more quality and patience about their build up if they want to beat teams like the Drog's, which will help improve the league.

What you are saying is that you would like to see attacking flowing football, where the teams go at each other hammer and thong for the entire 90 minutes and we see 4-3 results every week.

I would love to see that too, but point out a top league in the world where that happens (even La Liga isn't a massive goal fest every week). Plenty of teams shut up shop once they score. Look at the Italians they have made it an art form!

• Advertisement

evilhomer wrote:

What you are saying is that you would like to see attacking flowing football, where the teams go at each other hammer and thong for the entire 90 minutes and we see 4-3 results every week.

I would love to see that too, but point out a top league in the world where that happens (even La Liga isn't a massive goal fest every week). Plenty of teams shut up shop once they score. Look at the Italians they have made it an art form!

No what you see if professional football at its highest level, what we see is semi pros so mistakes are made, chances created, keepers lobbed (a lot).

The advent of pro football in Ireland will not make it a more enjoyable spectacle or put more bums on seats. Didnt before and wont again.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    The advent of pro football in Ireland will not make it a more enjoyable spectacle or put more bums on seats. Didnt before and wont again.

If you read my first post there are several other points about how to put "bums on seats"

Including More televised games and getting the game "hyped up more". If RTE put 20% of the money it puts into getting rights to show the premiership into the league here it would help a lot of clubs go pro.

Plus the games being on TV would make people want to go and see them (if the quality of the spectacle improves) but I think you only get better football with better footballers and you won't get that without more fans and more money.

evilhomer wrote:
    If you read my first post there are several other points about how to put "bums on seats"

Including More televised games and getting the game "hyped up more". If RTE put 20% of the money it puts into getting rights to show the premiership into the league here it would help a lot of clubs go pro.

Plus the games being on TV would make people want to go and see them (if the quality of the spectacle improves) but I think you only get better football with better footballers and you won't get that without more fans and more money.

Altho it sounds ideal, it still wont be enough, there is only one way to get more people into going to games and thats bringing kids and oddly foreign people ( i usually bring a few kids down and few polish lads from work heading down next week :p )

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

thing is, RTE will get the money back through advertising for the money it puts into premiership rights (otherwise it wouldn't get them), but it probably won't make it back on eircom league matches unless they get them for very cheap. Also, why go to matches if you can see them on TV? In england, thats why there's no televised prem 3pm matches on Saturday, to keep up attendances for lower divs.

astrofool wrote:
    Also, why go to matches if you can see them on TV?

lol classic.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

KdjaC wrote:
    lol classic.

kdjac

There is a perfect logic to that theory as applied in England. Fans living in smaller English towns who support their local English clubs but who also support a bigger English club as their second team wouldn't go to the home games of the smaller clubs if Premiership games were on at 3. Unfortunately, we have to work on the assumption that fans of bigger English clubs living in big/small Irish towns... :(

KdjaC wrote:
    lol classic.

kdjac

and a classicly stupid response.

Take it into context, and while there is a difference between attending matches and being an armchair fan, the difference is that people are often lazy or too busy to spend the time needed to go to matches (driving, getting tickets etc.), and most end up not going to matches if they can get their fix from the TV, and thereby negatively effect smaller clubs. Obviously, the premiership it not very negatively effected, as all its grounds are usually near full, but given a hypothetical high capacity stadium that could fit as many fans as wanted to go, then if the TV wasn't an option, premiership games would most likely recieve much higher attendances (given no drop off due to lack of TV promotion) Into the future its a tricky problem to solve as streaming becomes more commonplace, and will probably end up with the larger clubs having to spread the money around the lower divisions more evenly, as they are the ones that get football popular at a grassroots level among people.

astrofool wrote:
    and a classicly stupid response.

Take it into context, and while there is a difference between attending matches and being an armchair fan, the difference is that people are often lazy or too busy to spend the time needed to go to matches (driving, getting tickets etc.), and most end up not going to matches if they can get their fix from the TV, and thereby negatively effect smaller clubs. Obviously, the premiership it not very negatively effected, as all its grounds are usually near full, but given a hypothetical high capacity stadium that could fit as many fans as wanted to go, then if the TV wasn't an option, premiership games would most likely recieve much higher attendances (given no drop off due to lack of TV promotion) Into the future its a tricky problem to solve as streaming becomes more commonplace, and will probably end up with the larger clubs having to spread the money around the lower divisions more evenly, as they are the ones that get football popular at a grassroots level among people.

ONe person is a fan of their club the other someone who likes to watch football on tv. Simple really.

kdjac

I'm sorry, in no definition of the word FAn does it require attendance at the ground (http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-48,GGLG:en&q=define%3A+FAN) at best you are arguing semantics and an opinion, which is again a classicly stupid response and not connected to the world at large.

Though i'd be quite interested in people who "move air for human comfort" for their club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

The perennial ugly football argument is overstated. Many matches, regardless of where they are played, are a blend of both good football and hoofing -- but of course TV edits out or distracts when the EPL serves up rubbish.
    I think the key is to capitalise on the huge numbers of kids now playing the game. As these come through there should be more talent on show. What we don't need is madcap FAI schemes and the Niall Quinns of this world showing them the way to the airport. Instead, we need to build an appreciation of the national league as the top level of football in Ireland.

astrofool wrote:
    I'm sorry, in no definition of the word FAn does it require attendance at the ground (http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-48,GGLG:en&q=define%3A+FAN) at best you are arguing semantics and an opinion, which is again a classicly stupid response and not connected to the world at large.

Though i'd be quite interested in people who "move air for human comfort" for their club.

So then whats inside a pub whena match is on? And whats inside a ground when a match is on?

Is it drinkers and football fans?

As said before when this opinion is posted the only people who get the hump over it are people who dont go to matches. So no amount of marketting or fancy stadiums is going to get them to go if they wont even go and support their own team in whatever country it is.

Football fans go to football matches.....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

astrofool wrote:
    I'm sorry, in no definition of the word FAn does it require attendance at the ground (http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-48,GGLG:en&q=define%3A+FAN) at best you are arguing semantics and an opinion, which is again a classicly stupid response

I'm sorry, boards.ie wouldn't exist if people didn't "argue opinion", regardless of whether or not you happen to think it's a "stupid response".

Advertisement