Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000Euro Registration Fees

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

The registration fee is the same for all colleges as far as I know, only the student service levy varies - uccs is also taking a big hike this year - but they're getting gym membership included for it, I want to be in ucc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Umaro wrote:
    And besides, I won't be paying it - Bank of Mum & Dad FTW!!!

Not everyone is that lucky.

Steph, my brother's registration fee was almost €100 less than mine last year.

Meh, tried finding stuff online - failed miserably - people don't want us to know how much reg fees are i fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

well how would feel if your hard earned E1000 went to funding a fraction of your fabulous taoiseach's annual makeup expenses heh? It's a fact!

I don't care about the makeup he has two part-time make up artists who make him look presentable.We don't want to see him without the makeup.Image is everything nowadays and we have to have him looking well and presentable for the cameras that he faces everyday.

He's An Taoiseach of Ireland that says everything you know.

OT What do people think of the new student centre? We're paying it out of the registration fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Chakar wrote:
    I don't care about the makeup he has two part-time make up artists who make him look presentable.We don't want to see him without the makeup.Image is everything nowadays and we have to have him looking well and presentable for the cameras that he faces everyday.

He's the An Taoiseach of Ireland that says everything you know.

:eek: You're either incredibly naive or a very good troll.

On-topic: I would just like to reiterate what another poster said, Free fees my hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

"The An Taoiseach"

Nice...

[/pedant]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Chakar wrote:
    Im going to become rich when I invent a way to stab people like you in the face over the internet.

You know absoloutely nothing kid, fucks sake you don't even pay taxes so how would you know.

Your posts on these boards have been nothing but idiocy and I don't know how you haven't been banned yet, so please, do us all a favour and fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

well how would feel if your hard earned E1000 went to funding a fraction of your fabulous taoiseach's annual makeup expenses heh? It's a fact!
    This expense is needed tbh.
    Countries political leaders have to look good on camera.
    If he looked like a hick on tv, it would have a negative economic effect on the country.
    Business people are influenced by the small things like this.

Its been well documented from the "anorak phase"
    What youre talking about is tabloid drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    This expense is needed tbh.
    Countries political leaders have to look good on camera.
    If he looked like a hick on tv, it would have a negative economic effect on the country.
    Business people are influenced by the small things like this.

So, essentially some other people are shallow and we must also behave in a shallow manner in order for them to like us! There's got to be a much better justification for such an unnecessary expense, especially when so many of the essential requiremnets inthis country are underfunded: education, health, transport etc.

I would certainly like to see a detailed breakdown of this €1000 fee, and sufficient reaon for its yearly increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ok if you can be banned for posting abusive or racist remarks because they unjustifiably cause people offence then you should definitly be bloody banned for posting about the need for our "an taoiseach" to wear makeup on TV in a thread about the UCD registration fee:mad:

OT: I too would like to hear the reason for the increase and would hope it's not to do with that new student center which imo we don't need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

humbert wrote:
    Ok if you can be banned for posting abusive or racist remarks because they unjustifiably cause people offence then you should definitly be bloody banned for posting about the need for our "an taoiseach" to wear makeup on TV in a thread about the UCD registration fee:mad:

Wholeheartedly agree. This place is fúcking ridiculous.
    humbert wrote:
    OT: I too would like to hear the reason for the increase and would hope it's not to do with that new student center which imo we don't need.

Hasn't the registration fee gone up every year anyway? So they can't really justify it by saying it's the new student centre. A breakdown of everything we're paying for would be nice, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

It can't possibly be for the Student Centre because that's exactly what the Student Centre Levy is for (name kinda gives the game away, doesn't it?).

If the actual Reg part of the total fee doesn't go up then the total payment for non-grants students should be €850, and €75 for grant recipients. I suppose we just have to twiddle our thumbs until something more concrete appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's fairly typical of UCD... a bit of detective work to find out anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Back on topic, the Taioseachs make up expenses have about as much to do with this topic as Dirt Tax has to do with buying bread....or something.

GarthV : This is your first post on this board so I'll let you away with a 3 day ban for that outburst. You know damn well thats not acceptable ANYWHERE on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hasn't the registration fee gone up every year anyway? So they can't really justify it by saying it's the new student centre. A breakdown of everything we're paying for would be nice, that's for sure.

Its defo nothing to do with the new student centre.I wonder how one would get a breakdown of this 1000 euro fee?How could it have gone up so drastically since I started in 2001?Maybe money to build the new residences?Id understand maybe if prices for photocopying and prinitng things off the comuter had gone down a bit but they've actually gone up!And back in 2001 the lecturers used to give out the handouts in class which now makes it more expensive for students now to print off lectures before each class.So where is this money going to? Get mulder and scully onto this one methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

It's the same for everyone in the country though, isn't it?! It can't be a UCD specific thing, it's the Government cranking up the 'free' fees. I've never known anyone who didn't pay the €750/€775 as we do (obviously they don't pay for our Student Centre Levy but you know what I'm getting at.)

It's the same for everyone in the country though, isn't it?! It can't be a UCD specific thing, it's the Government cranking up the 'free' fees. I've never known anyone who didn't pay the €750/€775 as we do (obviously they don't pay for our Student Centre Levy but you know what I'm getting at.)

Oh yeah spose your right.Doh panda being stupid! Tis a bit of disgrace saying its free fee's when its evidently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

panda100 wrote:
    Tis a bit of disgrace saying its free fee's when its evidently not.

But when has "free" ever meant "free" (if you get what I mean)!! Type "free" into google and you'll be lucky to find anything that is worth something but will cost you nothing...

Samos wrote:
    But when has "free" ever meant "free" (if you get what I mean)!! Type "free" into google and you'll be lucky to find anything that is worth something but will cost you nothing...

I see what your saying but 1000euro is a lot of money and is definatly by no means 'free'. Im in college for 6 years so paying 1000euro each year means I will pay 6000euro.For someone already struggling that is a heck of a lot of money and might well deter people from doing a long course such as medicne because of the huge fees you have to pay even though they are apparently 'free'.Thank god for student loans!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I honestly don't see why we're building a new student centre to accomodate the logistical failures of the college (re: room bookings etc). I had no problem booking a room in Eng in the early part of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Red Alert wrote:
    I honestly don't see why we're building a new student centre to accomodate the logistical failures of the college (re: room bookings etc). I had no problem booking a room in Eng in the early part of the year.

Here's the newswire item for the new student centre it gives the basic information here

doesn't really explain why its needed though does it? I've booked rooms a few times (albeit via lecturers) and it's never been problem - i'm pretty involved in the archeological society too and whilst our coffee morning moves it only ever deviates between three rooms and we've never had a problem getting rooms for things as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

"approved by yizzer all in the referendum, nudge nudge, wink wink" - re: the new student levy I voted no, and it mainly got through because very few people bothered to vote at all, yet we are all lumped with the rising costs for something that current students will not benefit from, another bugbear I have about it is that if the plans have not been fully put together for the new student centre, then planning permission has not been applied for, so how do we know for sure that the centre will go ahead, it is clear that this year all students will have to pay €15 for something that may or may not happen (as it is subject to planning permission - correct me if I am wrong on this), will we have to pay an extra €25 in 2007/2008, or is it the €15 plus an €10, and for 2008/2009 will it be an extra €50, or the €25 plus €25, during the campaign very little concrete information was given, just making giving us delusions of grandeur, I'd be willing to pay a levy for a future student centre if proper, transperent information was given and proper plans were available to the students instead of woolly ideas about a 'great new student centre' and if the same plans were put through the planning permission process, as it is there is no way they will have the centre ready by the end of 2007 (as stated during the campaign for it) and if they do, well I'll be gladly humbled. Lastly the campaign for the student centre was pushed through very quickly and was very much a last minute job giving us little or no time to delve into things more deeply. I was very dissapointed that it went through and were it not for exams and approaching summer holidays I would have taken this much further, also there was nothing on the student website other than that propogandist crappy page about the merits of the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Ours is not to reason why,
    Ours is but to pay the university a shítload of dosh and not complain about the resultant hole in our bank balances.

Not the most pithy of phrases, I admit. But it seems to work for 20,000 other gibbons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nursebetty

Y has this gone off into a new student centre thing? I think it's a good idea. I know u can get rooms here and there around campus but does it not make sense 2 have student activities all in the one place run by themselves and purpose built and all? I'm not involved in any socs or clubs realy but if they r willing 2 work 4 it then i wouldnt begruge them. Just wat i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Umaro wrote:
    I don't know, it always seems pretty ungrateful when people get stingy about paying fees for something which will provide them with thousands of extra income in years to come.

Oh please - You haven't a foot to stand on. Mummy and Daddy pay your fees (and no doubt your rent, car, etc) so I don't think you're in a position to comment.

What bothers me about the whole debacle is that people on a grant don't pay any fees. I go to college with a girl who is very wealthy and due to some creative accounting she is in receipt of a grant.

As a student who has already been in college I have to pay registration and tuition fees (altogether it was €2000 FOR 05/06). I found this hard to do as I have other expenses and don't have an income and knowing 95% of my class were getting the same education for "free" just didnt seem right.
    What I propose is that EVERY student regardless of income pays a fee (€200-€300) which should cover all college costs and takes the pressure of the other fee paying students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Oh please - You haven't a foot to stand on.

Yeah I do, I have two and they're both wearing Dubes!

jk
    Mummy and Daddy pay your fees (and no doubt your rent, car, etc) so I don't think you're in a position to comment.

Mum and Dad pay my fees, I dont have any rent to pay and I just use Mum's car. I wouldnt say I'm badly spoilt or anything, and I am extremely grateful for the head-start they give me. I understand that I do have to work hard for something if I want it. This summer I'm working full-time and saving everything I earn, so I can afford to study abroad for the 2nd semester of 2nd Commerce.

I do understand that there are students who have difficulty paying fees and they have to work during term time to pay their way through college. I guess its something you just have to overcome if you want the benefits of a college degree.
    What bothers me about the whole debacle is that people on a grant don't pay any fees.

Shocking.
    I go to college with a girl who is very wealthy and due to some creative accounting she is in receipt of a grant.

Good for her, but just because she's working the system to her advantage doesn't mean all other students in recipt of grants should have their fee exemption waived.
    As a student who has already been in college I have to pay registration and tuition fees (altogether it was €2000 FOR 05/06). I found this hard to do as I have other expenses and don't have an income and knowing 95% of my class were getting the same education for "free" just didnt seem right.
    What I propose is that EVERY student regardless of income pays a fee (€200-€300) which should cover all college costs and takes the pressure of the other fee paying students.

A solution that would hugely benefit you by saving you €1700-€1800, whilst making people surviving off grants have to pay fees as well? Sounds good, where can I sign the petition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

What bothers me about the whole debacle is that people on a grant don't pay any fees.

Shocking

Whats "shocking" about that???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

stepbar wrote:
    Whats "shocking" about that???

I see the old scarcasm detector is on the fritz!

when it comes to the registration fee I would like to know exactly what it is for and as it increases the free fees rhetoric gets harder to swallow. If that's the fee for our education then fair enough, well worth it, but don't tell us we're getting it for free then tell us, oh yea there's just the matter of this 1000 euro "registration fee".

Advertisement