Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling speakers WANTED

Options
  • 16-07-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I've run some wires to 2 ceiling speakers in my dining room from my stereo. They are only cheapo car stereo speakers at the moment, but I want to replace them with good quality ones that are designed for this sort of application.

The o/p imp. from my stereo is 6ohm so preferably I'd like to match that speakers to that. The car ones I have in at the moment are 8ohm.

Any recommendations of places to get them? Preferably white ones if possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

How about these from Thomann, or these (both 4 Ohm and low wattage).

Had a quick look thorugh all the ceiling stuuf they have and it's all 4 ohm or 100v stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm gonna be running cables into the ceiling joists in my extension so I can go with speakers in the ceiling in the new kitchen/dining room. What sort of cable to I need - is it speaker cable and power or just speaker cable (what sort)?

As its a big kitchen/dining room it would be ideal if I could have more than two sets of speakers in the ceiling run from the same hi-fi, possibly with the ability to have them all play the same sound, with the option to have only the ones in the kitchen on at any one time and vice versa. Is this possible?

Hey Frank

Something like this will do the switching for you, ordinary cable will be fine; .25 two core electrical cable should do the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I got a 5 way switch in Maplin. Can't remember how much but think it was less than €20. It allows any of the 5 to be on, or any combination

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Spocker wrote:
    How about these from Thomann, or these (both 4 Ohm and low wattage).

Had a quick look thorugh all the ceiling stuuf they have and it's all 4 ohm or 100v stuff
    Spocker, they look like they're just for intercoms with low wattage....they'd pop 5 secs after I turn on my music

Quite true, I was only going for cheap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Your domestic hifi stereo amp will normally only go to 4 Ohms per channel.

That is one 4Ohm speaker per channel, max total number of speakers = 2
    OR
    2 8Ohm speakers per channel, max total number of speakers = 4
    OR
    4 16Ohm speakers per channel, max total number of speakers = 8

It is possible to use a combination of series and parallel wiring to out do these limitations, but your power distribution has to be watched as you might end up with one speaker being louder than all the others. Check out Ohms Law.

So you say you want more than 2 sets?...I presume you mean you want more that 2 pairs, if so then you will have to use 16 Ohm speakers, other wise you will blow the output stage of your amplifier.

Run 2 core 0.5mmsq or 0.75 mmsq to each speaker individually back to the location of your switcher. DO NOT loop from one speaker to the next, this results in a bunch of dead speakers if something happens the line and doesnt allow you to change the format of the system in the future.

Run 4mmsq from your amps location to the switcher this will be the feed to the switcher.

mark the cables as you go.

once you have all the cables in and the speakers up, decide on how to lay out your stereo imagary. say you are covering an L space with 8 speakers you could:

L R

R L R

L R L

Check out the specifications of the speakers and find the ones with the widest coverage angles, as most homes have relatively low ceilings. Alot of pro ceiling speakers are meant to be installed in higher ceilings eg commercial buildings etc.

I would recomend http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-186248.html
    beware tho that these are a contained unit with a tank behind them. Check the dimensions.

These are a 16 Ohm 30W unit, they are available without the 100vLine transformer, and would be cheaper I would imagine. I couldnt find them on Thomann, but check out the lads in Donegal http://www.ror.ie
    The will get them for you.

Unfortunatley in speaker land you get exactley what you pay for.

Dave_W

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Manic...

• Advertisement
Advertisement