Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contents Insurance for Tenants

Options
  • 16-07-2006 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Firstly, I hope this is in the correct forum - apologies if it isn't.

After searching high and low for contents insurance (I'm the tenant) I can't seem to find anything out there, does anyone know of any insurance co or broker who offers the service.

There was a broker via www.rent.ie that use to do it, but they discontinued the service (and when i emailed them they couldnt recommend anyone else)

I know theres a bit of risk with tenants insurance but I would of thought given a lot of people are renting (as they cant afford to buy, like me) that there would be a market for such a product (its avaliable in the UK and other countries).

As I share I dont think I can take out insurance for the whole house and just cover my bellongings (as I'm not related to the other people I live with). . or can I?

I am a professional person living with other profesionals and we are all in out late 20's/early 30's.

Any advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

iirc, it's up to the landlord to provide contents insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

eth0_ wrote:
    iirc, it's up to the landlord to provide contents insurance.

??

I know landlords normally have insurance for their stuff (furniture etc) but they are not going to pay for insurance for my personal stuff? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

landlords are not responsible for renters contents. I use bank of Ireland for my renters insurance, happy enough with premiums and the service.

Ken

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

landlords are not responsible for renters contents. I use bank of Ireland for my renters insurance, happy enough with premiums and the service.

Ken
    I also use BoI and have been for a few years now. They seem to be one of the few that offer content only insurance for tenants.

One possible problem though, I think they require that all persons in the house are from the same family. If thsi is still the case it OP may find it even harder as he shares with strangers.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

I have mine with a broker insure.ie, i do own my place tho but when i was filling in the form it asked weather i own or am renting, so they possibly do it for tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

use 123.ie , i'm renting and paying policy that costs €19 a month and cover of €15,000 including 3 specifially named items (mainly my cameras , laptops) that i can claim for even if it damged / lost / stolen outside of the house

pretty good value if you ask me

MrPudding wrote:
    I also use BoI and have been for a few years now. They seem to be one of the few that offer content only insurance for tenants.

One possible problem though, I think they require that all persons in the house are from the same family. If thsi is still the case it OP may find it even harder as he shares with strangers.

MrP

Thanks for the replys people.

This is where the problem is I think (I'm not related to any of the people whom I share with)

I just looked at 123.ie - but doesnt say anything about conents insurance for tenants (i'm the tenant) :confused::confused::confused:

BOI's cover - is that avaliable for tenants to get?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

when go to fill out the quote form it's asks you if the property is owned by someone else / rented by you in a drop down box thats the one you need to select

Cheers

Advertisement