Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: is ntl registering me as outside of ireland on the internet

• 16-07-2006 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I am trying to watch the cork - kerry match and NTL is making out that I am not in ireland , I am on ntl 10mb, i get the following message

""NOTICE
    Due to broadcast rights restrictions, this event is only available to viewers located in Ireland."

here is the link
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/stream/gaa_video.html

what can i do?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nothing, I'm having the same problem:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054962085

I'll be contacting NTL support tomorrow to complain, I advise you to do the same, the more complaints, the more likely they are to fix it and it is simple thing for them to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

You can't do anything, NTL routes all of its traffic through the UK.. you could try googling for an Irish based proxy, so that RTE thinks you are using an Irish IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

daveyjoe wrote:
    You can't do anything, NTL routes all of its traffic through the UK.. you could try googling for an Irish based proxy, so that RTE thinks you are using an Irish IP address.

thanks but I have no idea how to do that, BK can you try? just in case the link comes back for the last 10 minutes?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

okcomputer wrote:
    thanks but I have no idea how to do that, BK can you try? just in case the link comes back for the last 10 minutes?

Tried the NTL Dublin proxy, it didn't work, I'm just looking for other Irish proxies, anyone have one?

The results on are on the BBC website :rolleyes: here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/5185260.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

daveyjoe wrote:
    The problem isn't that NTL is routed through the UK, the problem is that NTL users are assigned IP addresses that come from a block of IP addresses that are registered in the UK. Even if the traffic was routed through INEX directly to RTEs servers, you'd still be blocked.

Until today, having a UK IP address suited some NTL customers, who could access BBC and Channel 4 content online that is restricted to UK users. Unfortunately, geo-ip is not a 100% reliable way to figure out where a user is actually coming from.

NTL will presumably be fixing this in the near term, as UPC takes NTL Ireland out of NTL UKs network.

Foxwood wrote:
    The problem isn't that NTL is routed through the UK, the problem is that NTL users are assigned IP addresses that come from a block of IP addresses that are registered in the UK. Even if the traffic was routed through INEX directly to RTEs servers, you'd still be blocked.

Yes, but given that both NTL and RTE are INEX members, they could get together, NTL could tell RTE what the Irish user IPs are and route the traffic to www.rte.ie directly to rte through INEX like they are supposed to do (I can see that they are not because I can see it from the traceroutes) :(

FYI Cork have won :D

Cork 1-12 0-09 Kerry RES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I used to get the same thing when I was with UTV BB. It's probably still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Given all the resources that the unionists who run RTE have deployed over the past decade or so to inflict crap commercial british tabloid television on their viewers, [despite the fact that people pay these bastards salaries via a “license” fee which implies an Irish public service broadcasting obligation] one would have thought that they would have welcomed you “mainland” NTL subscribers with open arms!

probe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

bk wrote:
    Yes, but given that both NTL and RTE are INEX members, they could get together, NTL could tell RTE what the Irish user IPs are and route the traffic to www.rte.ie directly to rte through INEX like they are supposed to do (I can see that they are not because I can see it from the traceroutes) :(
    I think that's over simplifing matters. RTE obviously use a geo-ip service, and NTL Ireland customers are assigned an IP address that is swiped to a UK address. That's not RTEs fault or problem. NTL could approach RTE with an IP list (and some money to pay RTE to facilitate IPs outside of the geo-ip service they use), but then what happens when IP ranges are modified, etc.

The fact that NTL and RTE are members of INEX means nothing. They need to peer/agree routing policy. I assume that'll change in time as UPC/NTL agree on network switch over, etc.

The simple solution is for NTL Ireland / UPC to correct their RIPE allocation (and point to IE, not UK). I'm guessing that a few hundred complaints will have no bearing on that, and that it will happen in time anyway.

.cg

cgarvey wrote:
    I think that's over simplifing matters. RTE obviously use a geo-ip service, and NTL Ireland customers are assigned an IP address that is swiped to a UK address. That's not RTEs fault or problem. NTL could approach RTE with an IP list (and some money to pay RTE to facilitate IPs outside of the geo-ip service they use), but then what happens when IP ranges are modified, etc.

I agree it is not RTE's fault, it is NTL's, I never said it was RTEs fault.
    cgarvey wrote:
    The fact that NTL and RTE are members of INEX means nothing. They need to peer/agree routing policy. I assume that'll change in time as UPC/NTL agree on network switch over, etc.

Well NTL is supposed to be the chair of INEX at the moment and everyone and his dog in the internet industry in Ireland knew that this was why RTE joined the INEX a few months ago, so it would have made sense that UPC should have already had the peering with RTE sorted.
    cgarvey wrote:
    The simple solution is for NTL Ireland / UPC to correct their RIPE allocation (and point to IE, not UK). I'm guessing that a few hundred complaints will have no bearing on that, and that it will happen in time anyway.

Well over a year ago I complained about NTL not peering in INEX for Irish traffic (to boards etc.) and they kindly fixed it in 2 days. They seem to have slipped back to there old ways, I'm hoping that they will be so kind as to fix it again.

Unfortunately the NTL engineers who used to post here on boards and fixed this are no longer with NTL, but with a competitor now, I'm just hoping some other engineers from UPC are reading this and fix it ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

bk wrote:
    Well NTL is supposed to be the chair of INEX at the moment and everyone and his dog in the internet industry in Ireland knew that this was why RTE joined the INEX a few months ago, so it would have made sense that UPC should have already had the peering with RTE sorted.
    It's got nothing to do with INEX or routing. You could be routed through the moon, and RTE would still have shown you the match IF you had an Irish IP address. You wouldn't have been shown the match even if NTL routed to RTE through INEX as long as you presented with a UK registered IP address!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 redbag

Ran into the same thing myself trying to watch the match. Couldn't really get a proxy server that gave me any joy. Dropped the following email to RTE and NTL.. Got the following response back from RTE... (NTL ignored the mail so far of course!)

A Chara,

Due to resource limitation's we have had to outsource today's game to a third party. It seems that they may be inadvertently blocking some genuinely Irish IP addresses. Please send me your IP address and I will ask them to include it in their Database for future matches.

Regards,
    John

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 10:09 +0100, Sport Online wrote:

Sent: Sun 16/07/2006 16:34
    To: sportDL
    Cc: cablemodemhelp@ntlworld.ie
    Subject: Live streaming of Munster Final...

Hi,
    Please note that anyone using NTL broadband (like myself) cannot access any of your live streams as the NTL server's IP addresses are all assigned in the UK, so RTE think I am accessing from the UK.
    Please make allowances in future for the large number of broadband subscribers who are serviced by NTL in Dublin, Galway and Waterford.NTL should be able to assist you further in this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

well during the dublin game, they flashed a message apologising to viewers of the webcast, was experiencing difficulty

Foxwood wrote:
    It's got nothing to do with INEX or routing. You could be routed through the moon, and RTE would still have shown you the match IF you had an Irish IP address. You wouldn't have been shown the match even if NTL routed to RTE through INEX as long as you presented with a UK registered IP address!

Yes and no, ideally for RTE's point of view they would prefer to peer with NTL in the INEX as it reduces their costs and they can do some nice multicast stuff to reduce bandwidth use for live streams.

Advertisement