Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Raw Beetroot??

• 16-07-2006 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi there, hope someone can help me. A girl who works with me has her own veggie garden and has a glut of veg at the moment so is giving away lots. She said she'll bring me in some beetroot this week but I have no idea how to cook it. Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Check out the Recipe Finder on bbc.co.uk/food - loads of ideas there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

It's really nice roasted with a spash of balsamic and olive oil, never remove all the green to the butt or it leaks while roasting. Then when roasted serve it with goats cheese mixed with a little lemon juice ground black pepper, salt and if you have some fresh parsley or chives it can do no harm to throw them in the mix too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 maglet

eat the beetrood raw, it's delicious - grate it over some salad, perhaps with some finely chopped red pepper, balsamic & good olive oil & salt & pepper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Blub2k4 wrote:
    It's really nice roasted with a spash of balsamic and olive oil, never remove all the green to the butt or it leaks while roasting. Then when roasted serve it with goats cheese mixed with a little lemon juice ground black pepper, salt and if you have some fresh parsley or chives it can do no harm to throw them in the mix too.
    Roast beetroot is yum to the max, but it takes yonks to cook. A couple of hours in a medium oven maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

You can use it to make borscht (russian stew).

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/20/Borscht19214.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

all of the above are great ideas,another suggestion not heath concious but tasty,deep fried beetroot crisps,thinly slice the beet and place on a cloth to take out excess moisture,deep fry at 190 degrees untill the oil stops bubbling,place on kitchen paper untill cold,sprinkle with salt,honestly they taste so good

Advertisement