Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any sign of new gyms in Waterford?

• 16-07-2006 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of anything on the rumour mill that might suggest we might get a proper gym in the future? (One that dosnt cost a fortune like the hotel ones).

Im sick of the vomit inducing quotes from the hotels around the city. Any other county with our population in Ireland has plenty of purpose built fitness facilities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Did you check out the weight training place out on the northern extension? I think it's up near the NCT place but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Roen wrote:
    Did you check out the weight training place out on the northern extension? I think it's up near the NCT place but I'm not sure.

Ah its more the leisure centre kind of thing I'm after.. A bit like total fitness or somewhere like that, with plenty of space and lots of machines, Maybe even a pool. Theres such a market for it here.

I know it's out of the city but I use Splashworld. You can get off peak rates, as in from 7am til 4pm everyday weekday and all day at the weekends. You also get to use the pool. It suits some people (like me) but I can see what you mean about getting screwed in the city. I think the off peak rate for the year is about €350, six months is €190

Roen wrote:
    I know it's out of the city but I use Splashworld. You can get off peak rates, as in from 7am til 4pm everyday weekday and all day at the weekends. You also get to use the pool. It suits some people (like me) but I can see what you mean about getting screwed in the city. I think the off peak rate for the year is about €350, six months is €190

Cheers for the info.. any idea what full membership costs for 6 months? Do they have a decent area for rowing machines, weight machines etc?

Sounds like a plan I hadnt thought of.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

the woodlands hotel charges 550 a year for membership, its mad

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote:
    Cheers for the info.. any idea what full membership costs for 6 months? Do they have a decent area for rowing machines, weight machines etc?

Sounds like a plan I hadnt thought of.. :D
    I don't know what the full for six months is but the years full subscription is kind of on a par with any of the hotels I'm afraid, it's about €500-€540.
    On the plus side they have three rowing machines, four bikes, two cross trainers, two steppers and seven treadmills. The weight machines are excellent, and they also have a full compliment of free weights. Good gym imo.

Roen wrote:
    I don't know what the full for six months is but the years full subscription is kind of on a par with any of the hotels I'm afraid, it's about €500-€540.
    On the plus side they have three rowing machines, four bikes, two cross trainers, two steppers and seven treadmills. The weight machines are excellent, and they also have a full compliment of free weights. Good gym imo.

Excellent... Are the staff any good in terms of doing programmes for you and giving advice?

Yep, they do out a full programme for you and do fitness tests every month or on request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I joined the Woodlands a couple of months ago there good out there at least your not put on a 6 month waiting list like the Tower Hotel. They did up a good programme for me. I get a review every month.

Your other option is Waterford Glass Leasure centre pay as you go don't know what the prices are like though

trishw78 wrote:
    I joined the Woodlands a couple of months ago there good out there at least your not put on a 6 month waiting list like the Tower Hotel. They did up a good programme for me. I get a review every month.

Your other option is Waterford Glass Leasure centre pay as you go don't know what the prices are like though

How much did the Woodlands quote you trish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Trotter wrote:
    How much did the Woodlands quote you trish?

€550

I've been bad I haven't been this week it too hot to work out

trishw78 wrote:
    €550

I've been bad I haven't been this week it too hot to work out

Crikey thats expensive.. do you think its worth the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Try Tycor gym, it's €40 per quarter but you have to pay €4 per visit but you can get a weekly card for €12. The equipment is very good there.

Just got the flyer in through the door for Splashworld as my membership is up in a fortnight.
    Adult All hours €520 12months €330 6months
    Adult Off peak €330 12months €190 6months

Off peak is from 7am-4pm and includes Sat and Sun all day.

Roen wrote:
    Just got the flyer in through the door for Splashworld as my membership is up in a fortnight.
    Adult All hours €520 12months €330 6months
    Adult Off peak €330 12months €190 6months

Off peak is from 7am-4pm and includes Sat and Sun all day.

Nice one Roen.. I think I'll go for a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

What's the Crystal like. Any know how much they charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Roen wrote:

Membership is full there, one of the lads I work with told me last night that they've stopped taking any more members for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

deisedevil wrote:
    What's the Crystal like. Any know how much they charge?

The Waterford Crystal isn't too bad. I'm going to start getting back out there next week, I think it's about €4 or €5 a visit. Avoid peak hours if you can because it can get fairly busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

I use Waterford Glass. It isn't a smart posh 'gym', but it's got all the kit and helpful staff. If your going to go to the gym to look at yourself in mirrors and stare at the women then try one of the other gyms. I've been to all of them and it really is the best, if not the nicest decorated. :@)

helibelly wrote:
    If your going to go to the gym to look at yourself in mirrors and stare at the women then try one of the other gyms.

But.. is that not why I go to the gym? My God! No wonder I'm not buff!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Baby4 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

The sign on the window in Tesco is an application to have the existing permission for a gym changed to permission for more retail space as far as I know. So forget that as a possibility.

Ohh Imagine a big huge pool complex with a maaaaassive floor space for a gym and an indoor soccer pitch.. with 4 small astroturf ones outside.. Oh and a general purpose hall that can be converted like WIT's one for concerts.

Sigh.. I can dream.

POLITICIANS.. THATS what I want.

Advertisement