Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a food steamer

• 16-07-2006 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im making a big effort to eat healthier so I bought a small steamer that I can use on the cooker to cook veg and chicken fillets etc.

It has 3 sections to it, one for the water and then 2 perforated ones for the food. Can I put the raw chicken in the first one and the veg in the next one up, or will that poison me?

Also.. What other kind of interesting things can you cook with a steamer? (Its the metal type that you use on the hob).

I have visions of a very pale looking chicken fillet and a load of uninteresting veg on a plate.. so can anyone give me tips on how to use it, and keep using it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

ooooo all the interesting things you can do with a food steamer, where do I begin??? You can do Chinese cuisine, monkfish and more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Cheers :) Are the normal savoury gravy granules that come in the red tub bad for ya? I gotta mask the taste of the mingin vegetables lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Are you ending up with mushy veg? Steamed veg should be "almost" undercooked slightly so that they retain a bite. Cook them for shorter time rather than longer. When they're cooked just use a pastry brush to paint some olive oil onto them, rather than pouring it you can just use a small amount if you use the brush and control it, little bit of salt and a little pepper, it'd definitely be healthier than gravy granules which would be packed with salts.
    Fresh herbs are good for seasoning too.

I use my steamer to cook fish a lot. I wouldn't do chicken in it really it's not that suited. Stick to fish, veg and rice dishes.
    Start your Chicken breast under the grill and transfer it to a preheated oven to finish it, with a few herbs too.

<edit> a nice dip to have with steamed fish is soy, chopped chili and ginger.

Advertisement