Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin should be burned down.

Options
  • 17-07-2006 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

this city is a ****hole full of scumbags who should be shot, the match today is a perfect example. one poxy pointless game of boggerball is enough reason to justify the loutish scumbag behaviour by these so called "fans" who also always make it out to celtic games.
    pissing on streets, throwing glasses at random buses going by, jumping on car bonnets. fighting on the roads. what happened today wasnt celebrations it was hoolaganism. certain stands should be only available for the cross section of people who behave like this and burned down, we'll identify the bodies by the sovereigns and gold chains,
    rant over - backlash begins

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

bye now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

SHUT THE F**K UP

Its dublin, get over it, nothing that happend today as you described would be the 'Norm' at temple bar at 3am am on a saturday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I understand and agree with your point, to an extent but I do think you could have expressed yourself a little more eloquently (and coming from me thats saying something :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Let the napalm carpet boming comence... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good grief, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Dublin but theres a fierce amount of hate in that post there OP. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

allmixedup wrote:
    this city is a ****hole full of scumbags who should be shot,
    Yeah, but we're not allowed to shoot people or orchestrate acts of genocide, no matter how hilarious.
    Any other suggestions?
    Gold hoopy earrings that make people sterile?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Allmixedup Banned for a week,you have some issues you need to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Dub13 wrote:
    Allmixedup Banned for a week,you have some issues you need to deal with.
    Wow,seems you have some issues too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fitzyfitzboobs

Holy crap thats a lot of anger, I wouldnt think dublin is the best place on earth but bombing it off the face of the earth isnt the answer either - maybe just cut it out of ireland and replace it with a tropical island full of topless beauties, happy days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

dubtom wrote:

1)He is Trolling.

2)He insulted everybody who was at the match (80,000 plus people),Celtic fans,all GAA fans thats a lot of people.

3)He suggested people be burned and "identify the bodies by the sovereigns and gold chains".

4)He is only banned for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I walked along the boardwalk on Eden Quay on the way to work this morning and felt angry at the absolutely disgusting amount of empty beer cans, vodka bottles, McDonalds wrappers etc. It was knee-deep.

I wouldn't burn down Dublin however. My preference would be a snipers rifle and a position on top of O'Connell Bridge House. Selective culling is more effective (and more satisfying) :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

dubtom wrote:

In all fairness I agree with the mod on this one!! My son and my mother were at the game yesterday and the OP basically insulted them with his post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

dubtom wrote:

Punishment seemed fair enough to me, on other forums he would probably be banned for good!

I think that the general tomfoolery (euphamism for scumbaggery) seen after some matches is unfortunately typical of a certain element of society and to be honest is also seen in other towns and cities across Ireland albeit on a smaller scale by virtue of demographics.

There is very little that can be done with these people as they do not see that society has a right to expect better vehaviour of them and their inevitable response to such expectations is somewhere in the region of "F*** you!". Modern life I'm afraid.

The vast majority of fans are well behaved, a (somewhat imperfct)solution to the problems seen yesterday would be to ban certain people from receiving match tickets in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If anything a week is too leniant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

i think he has a valid point (in a fashion)..... people over here are always going on about football hooliganism by english football fans ..... GA fans are no different (well maybe slightly :) ) .... obviously its the minority in both cases let me stress.

I have been living over here for 6 years now, and over the last years i have noticed increasing levels of anti-social behaviour (not just in the media, but things i have seen for myself), especially in the city centre, and more so on match days when dublin are playing. Once you get a few scumbags together + beer = trouble.

Let the cull begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Inclined to agree with the OP in principle but not in intensity.

Having spent the last two weeks in Northern Germany, in a very peaceful and clean environment. Coming back, I can't help but notice litter everywhere and smell the gas fumes in the city everywhere. Even on the outskirts.

I was in a pub the night Germany finished third. The celebrated as if they'd won the damn thing. One guy threw a bottle of beer into the ground and was quickly given out to by three other fans in their early twenties. At 11am the next monring, the place was spotless.

Dubliners, I am sorry, do not respect this city. They might respect it's GAA team, but not it's city.
    SHUT THE F**K UP

Its dublin, get over it, nothing that happend today as you described would be the 'Norm' at temple bar at 3am am on a saturday night!

Why?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

as above... I would not burn down Dublin.. thats stupid! I wish the type of people he is talking about though did not exist.. Still its the same in every major city on the planet.. There will always be some element of society that are pretty much scum.

Dublin itself is a great city... infrastructure could be better but its not the worst either. It is after all a medievil city so we cant complain about the narrow streets. There should however be no reason to have so many cars in the city centre. We need better public transport and a higher density population living in the city centre.. in other words we need skyscrapers.... build them down the docklands area as is happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Dublin is a great city, ask ANY tourist that visits. You need to do stuff to enjoy it though. Sitting on your couch pissing and moaning wont get you anywhere.

Go sailing in Dublin bay.

Climb the Sugarloaf, its only a hill.

Walk the full lenght of the Bull Wall.

Order chicken wings in Elephant and Castle.

Go to the botanical gardens.

Book Surfing lessons in Sligo or Donegal if you really need to get out of the city.

Shoot the sluice rappids on the river Liffey in a canoe.

Go to the Zoo.

Do the Kilmainham Gaol tour.

Go and see the bogmen in the museum.

Go to the National Art Gallery.

Take a trip to Irelands Eye.

Do the hop on hop off bus trip.

Go to a restaurant.

Nice post! :D

Great to see some really positive things said about Dublin. HEre's a couple more, could go on for ages.

Walk the pier at Dun Laoghaire

Walk the pier at Howth (on your wayt o see Irelands eye :))

Walk around Howth Head

Despite all the problems Dublin has, everytime I fly in from Stanstead I look over the city and feel relief and happiness to be home for a few days. I love it.

lightening wrote:
    Dublin is a great city, ask ANY tourist that visits. You need to do stuff to enjoy it though. Sitting on your couch pissing and moaning wont get you anywhere.

Go sailing in Dublin bay.

Climb the Sugarloaf, its only a hill.

Walk the full lenght of the Bull Wall.

Order chicken wings in Elephant and Castle.

Go to the botanical gardens.

Book Surfing lessons in Sligo or Donegal if you really need to get out of the city.

Shoot the sluice rappids on the river Liffey in a canoe.

Go to the Zoo.

Do the Kilmainham Gaol tour.

Go and see the bogmen in the museum.

Go to the National Art Gallery.

Take a trip to Irelands Eye.

Do the hop on hop off bus trip.

Go to a restaurant.

Now the problem there is that every city has something similar. That said, I'm not doubing that Dublin has a lot of possibilities (but could do with some more varied nightlife!) However, it's the people that live here that is the point. We might love the city but, as I said earlier, disrespecting it or taking it for granted seems to be a positive characteristic around here.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Now the problem there is that every city has something similar. That said, I'm not doubing that Dublin has a lot of possibilities (but could do with some more varied nightlife!) However, it's the people that live here that is the point. We might love the city but, as I said earlier, disrespecting it or taking it for granted seems to be a positive characteristic around here.

I think the point was just that not everything about Dublin is negative, I don't think he was denying the existence of problems.

I go to fantastic places for my holidays but I'm sure in those cities and towns there are forum boards giving out about the impact of scumbags on the local community. Unfortunately there are scumbags everywhere but to post a hugely negative thread saying the city should be burnt down was a bit stupid. I don't want my parents house burnt down out in Lucan just because some lout jumps on a car bonnet and starts a scrap in Drumcondra :eek:

r3nu4l wrote:
    I don't want my parents house burnt down out in Lucan just because some lout jumps on a car bonnet and starts a scrap in Drumcondra :eek:

I'll assume that's meant for the OP rather than me...?!

Ikky Poo2 wrote:

Not all cities have what Dublin has. No other city in the world has Dublin Bay;) Not many cities have beaches 4 miles from the city centre, two wildlife sanctuarys, a mountain range beside it. These ameneties offer a huge huge range of adventure sports and activities, kite surfing on Dollymount for one, mountain biking in Wicklow for another.

Go for lunch in Temple Bar on a Saturday morning, the atmosphere is great. Maybe you are hanging around places where a lot of scumbags hang around. Maybe you should start doing different things to appreciate the city. I never ever see scumbags in Ho Sen, the so cheap Vietnam restaurant beside the central bank, or in the national museum.

I avoid the boardwalk because I believe it is full of scumbags, let them have it... I get to annoyed when I see them.

Please, dont go Dublin bashing if you have not tried at least five of the things I have listed. Sitting at home watching TV and bitching about where you live is no use. You need to take advantage of what is around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've lived in the City Centre for the last few years, and my walk home from the pub usually means going up O'Connell St. I generally never see any problems.

Last night however, I was walking along Westmoreland St, heading northbound, and there was a gang of Dublin fans, kicking the living snot out of eachother, outside (surprise surprise) Abrakababra. Girls and guys involved, all in Dublin jerseys, and no sign of the Laois colours. Fighting amongst themselves. So much for team spirit.

Walking up O'Connell St. then, was pretty much more of the same. Fighting, and general uneasiness. I got repeatedly eyeballed by p*ssed up Dublin fans, staggering accross the pavement, many of whom were dropping rubbish on the ground and shouting at passers by.

What was special about yesterday? Why did so many people feel the need to be such dirty scumbags? Genuine question.

K.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    I'll assume that's meant for the OP rather than me...?!

that last bit was meant for the OP, yeah, should have been more clear.

lightening wrote:
    Not all cities have what Dublin has. No other city in the world has Dublin Bay;) Not many cities have beaches 4 miles from the city centre, two wildlife sanctuarys, a mountain range beside it. These ameneties offer a huge huge range of adventure sports and activities, kite surfing on Dollymount for one, mountain biking in Wicklow for another.

Go for lunch in Temple Bar on a Saturday morning, the atmosphere is great. Maybe you are hanging around places where a lot of scumbags hang around. Maybe you should start doing different things to appreciate the city. I never ever see scumbags in Ho Sen, the so cheap Vietnam restaurant beside the central bank, or in the national museum.

I avoid the boardwalk because I believe it is full of scumbags, let them have it... I get to annoyed when I see them.

Please, dont go Dublin bashing if you have not tried at least five of the things I have listed. Sitting at home watching TV and bitching about where you live is no use. You need to take advantage of what is around you.

I've done virtually everthing on that list, repeatedly. Why do you assume I just sit around watching tv and moaning...? Have you any evidence to support this?

I spend most of my time travelling. I've been in 19 different countries and God knows how many cities. And even Paris managed to put together a beach. AND IT WAS CLEAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Not that i don't like Dublin, but what i've found about it is that it might as well be located in the midlands in England. Apart from the accent and the traffic signs theres very little/no difference between Dublin and an English City. Met English girls before when i was in Dublin who couldn't believe how similiar it was, and how different it was in comparison to the rest of the country. (Cork, Galway etc).

Not that its a bad thing, its just i find it a little uncomfortable. Theres very little "Irishness" to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

monosharp wrote:
    Not that i don't like Dublin, but what i've found about it is that it might as well be located in the midlands in England. Apart from the accent and the traffic signs theres very little/no difference between Dublin and an English City. Met English girls before when i was in Dublin who couldn't believe how similiar it was, and how different it was in comparison to the rest of the country. (Cork, Galway etc).

Not that its a bad thing, its just i find it a little uncomfortable. Theres very little "Irishness" to Dublin.

Well most of the city was built in English times.. there are plenty if IRISH things though.. Irish signs, Temple bar has lots of Irishness... Love or hate Carrolls its very Irish :D

Dublin as was mentioned before has one of the best locations of any city in the world!! Few cities, like maybe Sydney for one has a better bay location for sailing etc with islands. Few major cities also have mountains within a few minutes drive (depending on traffic).
    No major city in the world has a park as big as a Phoenix park!! (makes NY central park look like a back yard!).

Im often surprised when i go somewhere else like Paris or Prague how much Graffiti is everywhere.. beautiful buildings destroyed with it... barely an inch of free space anywhere... Dublin has very little compared to most major cities i have been to.

Dublin is a great city as i have said... and only a SMALL minority of people spoil it.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    I've done virtually everthing on that list, repeatedly. Why do you assume I just sit around watching tv and moaning...? Have you any evidence to support this?

I spend most of my time travelling. I've been in 19 different countries and God knows how many cities. And even Paris managed to put together a beach. AND IT WAS CLEAN.

I dont have any evidence that you sit around watching TV, Its just that if you do all the activities above and experienced them how could you not like Dublin?

How could you turn around and say "in the city I live in i frequently sail on yachts in the bay, mountain bike in stunning beauty, walk in wildlife sanctuarys, eat in amazing restaurants, immerse myself in culture in some of the worlds best museums and art gallerys, kite surf on the beaches camp overnight on deserted islands drinking wine around an open fire with my freinds and sometimes I canoe on one of the worlds biggest marathon river on the calender...." And then say you dont like it.

Indeed, I also have visited many countrys (a lot more than 19) and trust me, there is scumbags in every single one of them Ikky poo. You just dont see them because you are in the tourist areas of these city.

Most Dubliners respect their city, your just caught up concentrating on the minority few who dont, they are in Athlone, Galway, Limerick, Cork, Paris, Saigon... everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

<snip lol - doh>

tbh I like Dublin, I just hate about one in every two people here. ;)

Advertisement