Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin should be burned down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

move out. If you live in a place where you acutally HATE half the people on your road, on the dart, on buses, you have to move out. You have a problem there, it will eat you up, no job or lifestyle is worth that.

monosharp wrote:
    Not that i don't like Dublin, but what i've found about it is that it might as well be located in the midlands in England. Apart from the accent and the traffic signs theres very little/no difference between Dublin and an English City. Met English girls before when i was in Dublin who couldn't believe how similiar it was, and how different it was in comparison to the rest of the country. (Cork, Galway etc).

Not that its a bad thing, its just i find it a little uncomfortable. Theres very little "Irishness" to Dublin.

Good point. I get the same reaction when English people sail in Royal Cork Yacht club, they just cant get over the Britishness of the whole area. Its just one of those things, they left a bit legacy...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

lightening wrote:
    I dont have any evidence that you sit around watching TV, Its just that if you do all the activities above and experienced them how could you not like Dublin?

How could you turn around and say "in the city I live in i frequently sail on yachts in the bay, mountain bike in stunning beauty, walk in wildlife sanctuarys, eat in amazing restaurants, immerse myself in culture in some of the worlds best museums and art gallerys, kite surf on the beaches camp overnight on deserted islands drinking wine around an open fire with my freinds and sometimes I canoe on one of the worlds biggest marathon river on the calender...." And then say you dont like it.

Indeed, I also have visited many countrys (a lot more than 19) and trust me, there is scumbags in every single one of them Ikky poo. You just dont see them because you are in the tourist areas of these city.

Most Dubliners respect their city, your just caught up concentrating on the minority few who dont, they are in Athlone, Galway, Limerick, Cork, Paris, Saigon... everywhere.

Not getting caught up in the what-to-do-in-Dublin debate, because I agree with you.

The issue is respect. It's the people who think they've got the right to drive everywhere, pollute everything and delay everyone else. You can smell the gasoline in the air and we either ignore it ot accept it. Why? It's the attitude you get from bars and restaraunts. And the prices. It's the people who throw they're bigmac wrappers into an overcrowded bin (and while on the subject, why can't we arrange to empty the damn things?) and they're half-full pint glasses by the wall of Brown Thomas, still visible the next morning. And we think this is a positive - sure he hada good night out, didn't he? They come from all walks of life. There is a much higher level of disrespect for the city and it's people from the city and it's NOT limitied to 'scumbags'.

Dublin has the potential to be the best city in the world. No denying it. Geographically, as has been pointed out, we're in a perfect position. But the people make the city and that's what's lacking. ANd burying your head in the sand won't help.

Anotehr thing I loved about foreign cities is the ability to get around without having to invest in a car and add to the smell and the grime.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Not getting caught up in the what-to-do-in-Dublin debate, because I agree with you.

The issue is respect. It's the people who think they've got the right to drive everywhere, pollute everything and delay everyone else. You can smell the gasoline in the air and we either ignore it ot accept it. Why? It's the attitude you get from bars and restaraunts. And the prices. It's the people who throw they're bigmac wrappers into an overcrowded bin (and while on the subject, why can't we arrange to empty the damn things?) and they're half-full pint glasses by the wall of Brown Thomas, still visible the next morning. And we think this is a positive - sure he hada good night out, didn't he? They come from all walks of life. There is a much higher level of disrespect for the city and it's people from the city and it's NOT limitied to 'scumbags'.

Dublin has the potential to be the best city in the world. No denying it. Geographically, as has been pointed out, we're in a perfect position. But the people make the city and that's what's lacking. ANd burying your head in the sand won't help.

Anotehr thing I loved about foreign cities is the ability to get around without having to invest in a car and add to the smell and the grime.

Well, I just don't get it, its a city, there is always going to be grime, dust and pollution, traffic, building and undesirable people. I really think city life just doesn't suit you?

I find the people friendly, my neighbours are all very nice, I lived in the inner city for 11 years, fantastic neighbours. I find the pubs friendly and I find restaurants and shops that are reasonably priced.

I recently walked in to a country pub and got stared out of it by everyone in the pub, people would not move out of my way to get to the bar, people were sneering at the girl I was with... not a good time, give me a packed Dublin bar any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

lightening wrote:
    I recently walked in to a country pub and got stared out of it by everyone in the pub
    They were probably waiting expectantly for you to say hello and introduce yourself.
    You should have given them some of the oul Dublin charm - "warra you bleedin lookin ah?!" ;)
    Where abouts in the country did this happen by the way?
    Group-sneering sounds like great craic altogether, I might move there.

• Advertisement

You should have given them some of the oul Dublin charm - "warra you bleedin lookin ah?!" ;)

Yeah!! "yes mad muckers" That would have gone down a treat....

I did say hello to the nearest guy, he just smiled at his mate and shook his head. It was in Tuam in Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

monosharp wrote:
    Not that i don't like Dublin, but what i've found about it is that it might as well be located in the midlands in England. Apart from the accent and the traffic signs theres very little/no difference between Dublin and an English City. Met English girls before when i was in Dublin who couldn't believe how similiar it was, and how different it was in comparison to the rest of the country. (Cork, Galway etc).

Not that its a bad thing, its just i find it a little uncomfortable. Theres very little "Irishness" to Dublin.

Well as someone who has worked in London and lives in Cambridge I can tell you that is absolute rubbish. There is a huge distinction between Dublin and UK cities. They are nothing alike. Even some of the D4 heads who try to adopt many British principles fail as the differences are so great. A friend of mine from Kildare visited me last year and without any prompting from me he remarked that there was a vast difference but that it was so subtle that he couldn't put his finger on it. I'm the same, I don't know what the difference is but it's obvious to any Irish person. There is plenty of Irishness in Dublin, you just have to know where to look for it. Irish bar staff for example are very different to British. In Britain they don't care how many people are gasping for a pint, they still take one order at a time and pour one drink at a time. That's one difference right there.

lightening wrote:
    I really think city life just doesn't suit you?
    Now I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I do relate to it... I don't think it's so much the people themselves personally that I hate, it's more the fact that there are so many of them and they're everywhere I go, right up in my face, making noise I don't want to hear, making smells I don't want to smell, inflicting themselves on me and invading my personal space... as I'm sure I invade theirs.
    I think most people get over this by 'tuning out' the crowds and the noise, which I do aswell, but I all too often find myself tuning back in and getting irritated by it all.

Especially after I've spent a few weeks in the back arse of nowhere.
    When you get back to Dublin, you realize that there's nowhere outdoors you can get near 100% silence, there's always something in the distance... the ambient hum of traffic or general people-noise... or if, like me, you live within 10 miles of the airport - forget about it.
    Near 100% darkness is another one... which I never notice until I leave Dublin... all the light pollution, the orange sky at night when it's cloudy, not being able to see the stars.
    And fresh air is another one... not even in the middle of the Phoenix park or the Botanic gardens do I feel like I'm really breathing fresh air the likes of which I'd get in some field in Kerry.

But that's city life and sure where would we be without it... I'm sure my MP3 player or LCD monitor were made in a city somewhere in the world... it's great for the economy and wonderful to have so many facilities within easy reach... so I'm really a hypocrite... I want to have my cake and eat it... but fúck it... nobody says you have to love the negetive aspects of an overall positive thing... I'm Irish and I'll moan all I bloody well like.

lightening wrote:
    Well, I just don't get it, its a city, there is always going to be grime, dust and pollution, traffic, building and undesirable people. I really think city life just doesn't suit you?

I find the people friendly, my neighbours are all very nice, I lived in the inner city for 11 years, fantastic neighbours. I find the pubs friendly and I find restaurants and shops that are reasonably priced.

I recently walked in to a country pub and got stared out of it by everyone in the pub, people would not move out of my way to get to the bar, people were sneering at the girl I was with... not a good time, give me a packed Dublin bar any day.

Copenhagen, Stockholm, Bremen ... all much cleaner than Dublin and roughly the same size. I like city life when the city is clean and well run.

A packed Dublin bar will do occasionally. Give me a nice well run spacious Parisienne coffee-bar by the Seine ahead of a bucnh yobs seeing how much alcohol they can pour into themselves in as short a space aspossible.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Copenhagen, Stockholm, Bremen ... all much cleaner than Dublin and roughly the same size. I like city life when the city is clean and well run.

Move there. You wont get as good an atmosphere as Dublin, but you will get the daily efficiency and clinical atmosphere you seem to yearn. There are spacious well run cafes in Dublin, usuall full of Italians and French people. Check out the Italian quater, lovely cafes there.

Have you seen the prostitutes and drug dealers along the Seine at night?

• Advertisement

... I want to have my cake and eat it... but fúck it... nobody says you have to love the negetive aspects of an overall positive thing... I'm Irish and I'll moan all I bloody well like.

Your not really, you seem to make the most of Dublin and get out when you feel like it... just like me.

Have you taken a trip out to Irelands eye? I think you would love the solitude.

lightening wrote:
    You never know unless you try it.
    Throw in "de bleedin head on ye!" for good measure.
    lightening wrote:
    I did say hello to the nearest guy, he just smiled at his mate and shook his head.
    That's classic... I wonder what was going on inside his head.
    I must run this one by some of my country pals, see what they make of it.
    Maybe it was some oul fella pub or it's just the same 20 regulars every single night.... hmmm.

Maybe it was some oul fella pub or it's just the same 20 regulars every single night.... hmmm.

It was. I had just finished a cross channel rowing race and was very beefed up and full of muscle... I reckon he thought I was some sort of gym going yuppie city sh*t head.

lightening wrote:
    I've been there as a kid... but all I can recall of it now are the masses of ferns and some girl getting stung by a jellyfish. o_O
    Must give it another look.

Getting away from it all once in a while is well and good, but it's the day-to-day bustle that grinds on my nerves... I'm like an anti-christ walking around town, people walking very very slowly infront of me, taking up the whole path... it's like a bloody obstacle course.
    People with umbrellas poking you in the head... people slaming shopping bags into your legs... trying to trip you up with buggys... 20 people, each in their own car, preventing 40 pedestrians from crossing the road until they've passed... and choking them with fumes into the bargain.
    All lovely people as individuals I'm sure, but collectively they're a total nuisance.
    I'd prefer somewhere with a lower population density.

Pfff, listen to me go on... we have it so good compared to the war-torn and starving countries out there... isn't it wonderful that all we have to worry about is roudy drunk people smashing the place up... we can sleep soundly without fear of being hit with an air-strike or missile. (unless the OP has his way)
    lol I'm such a malcontent, it's almost sickening... but that's a whole other thread for personal issues I think :eek:

lightening wrote:
    Move there. You wont get as good an atmosphere as Dublin, but you will get the daily efficiency and clinical atmosphere you seem to yearn. There are spacious well run cafes in Dublin, usuall full of Italians and French people. Check out the Italian quater, lovely cafes there.

Have you seen the prostitutes and drug dealers along the Seine at night?

I'm trying, believe me!! And yes you do get as good an atmousphere and friendliness. I've got an armful of German scarves from Bremen to prove it.

Sorry if efficiency and clenliness are things to strive for, but a guy's gotta have hisstandards :D

...so you going to move there then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

lightening wrote:

How exactly do you get out there without your own boat? I go to Howth regularly, love walking on the seafront or the cliffs, trying to spot seals, having an ice=cream, great place to go, espacially when you're smashed. Always see the sign for motorboat to Howth but as far as I know the sign has been there for years and I've never actually seen the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Been living in Cologne as a student since last October, coming home for good on Friday. I'm getting very depressed at that fact. Before I left I just wanted to live somewhere else for a while as I was bored with Dublin, but I never saw myself permanently living abroad. I missed Dublin a good bit in my first few months and really looked forward to trips home at Christmas etc. The idea of moving back now though really doesn't do anything for me. Suppose I was away long enough to break any attachment I had for the place.

Collie D wrote:
    How exactly do you get out there without your own boat?
    This lot don't depart from Howth but do a trip that includes Ireland's eye.

I knew someone who went to DCU a few years ago and in 2004 they took a trip from Howth. I'm sure if you asked in any of the pubs or chippers they would know and failing that you could ask someone on the pier. Just be careful you don't get press-ganged into service on the high seas :eek:

r3nu4l wrote:
    ThisI'm sure if you asked in any of the pubs or chippers they would know and failing that you could ask someone on the pier.

Initiative.... I love it. Collie D your gonna have to do a little bit of ground work.

• Advertisement

Interesting... now all I have to do is put aside enough time for a three hour plus round trip to get there...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Dublin is ok. Tis not the best nor the worst town in the world.

As for comparing it to an english midland town....have you ever been to a midland town? Dublin is nothing like them.

I lived in Leicester for a year and visited other towns like nottingham and derby. They are all complete and total **** holes. Nottingham is a ****ing awful dangerous little place while leicester is basically a town built within a massive roundabout....

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Interesting... now all I have to do is put aside enough time for a three hour plus round trip to get there...

Yep. make time for yourself. Cant blame Dublin if you don't have time..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

lightening wrote:

I did say hello to the nearest guy, he just smiled at his mate and shook his head. It was in Tuam in Galway...
    :D That's Tuam for ya. Most other small towns in the area are allot friendlier, I had two couchsurfers staying with me from Finland that put my town as the best fun they had in Ireland.

I've never been a big fan of Dublin but I came into Dublin docks one day and had to drive from there through the city and it really made me want to spend a few days in Dublin. Dubliners do tend to look down there noses at the rest of the country, Dubliners that have never moved out of the city in their lifes shouldn't be so full of themselfs .There is allot of Violence one of the times I got lost in the car up there (what happens the signpost once you get into Dublin, actually it's common in every Irish city/big town, they just disappear and your on your own) it was mid day on a busy street and 2 guys where beating the crap out of someone on the street and people where just walking by like nothing was happening.

I've been around Europe and spent a week in most of the main citys and I have to say my favourite city is still Galway.

Have to agree with you there... Signposting is dreadful, got lost a few times myself.

However I really really don't think most Dubs look down their noses at the rest of the country. Maybe you just think they do.

Galway city is great fun allright. I have seen fights there too.

Scumlord, spend a weekend in Dublin, do the touristy things, you will be pleasantly surprised.

lightening wrote:
    Yep. make time for yourself. Cant blame Dublin if you don't have time..

In a decent city, it'd take half that time. The points I raised are 1) Dublin is unclean due to Dubliners inability to respect the cty and 2) Infrastructure and public transport lag well behind other European cities.

Listing touristy things to do and asking my why I haven't moved there yet counters neither argument.

Scumlord wrote:
    I've never been a big fan of Dublin but I came into Dublin docks one day and had to drive from there through the city and it really made me want to spend a few days in Dublin. Dubliners do tend to look down there noses at the rest of the country, Dubliners that have never moved out of the city in their lifes shouldn't be so full of themselfs .There is allot of Violence one of the times I got lost in the car up there (what happens the signpost once you get into Dublin, actually it's common in every Irish city/big town, they just disappear and your on your own) it was mid day on a busy street and 2 guys where beating the crap out of someone on the street and people where just walking by like nothing was happening.

I've been around Europe and spent a week in most of the main citys and I have to say my favourite city is still Galway.

Kind of. The problem here is that most of the poeple I've met from the country look down their noses at Dublin. And then go on for hours on end telling me all about the binges they've been on the irdes they've shagged (not unline some Dubs, I know) which bores the arse of me inside of five seconds. That said, I have met some very interesting people down the country.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    In a decent city, it'd take half that time. The points I raised are 1) Dublin is unclean due to Dubliners inability to respect the cty and 2) Infrastructure and public transport lag well behind other European cities.

In what decent city? No other city has Irelands Eye!

This is my point.

Look, just try it, you are coming up with silly excuses now, doing your best to have a bad time. Try it, get out there and do something. Have you got a bike? There is a cycle track practically from Amiens st. to Howth. Are you near a Dart line? A Luas? They are not packed at the weekend. Is there a bus stop near you? Do you have access to a car? The traffic is not bad at the weekend.

Your point about Dubliners not being able to respect their city is an Irish thing, Irish people do not respect their country, there is litter in Cork, Limerick, Galway. Country people burn plastic, country people litter Dublin and the country.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Dublin is unclean due to Dubliners inability to respect the cty.

I think we should remember that a huge proportion of the population of Dublin are not born and bred Dubliners! True a lot of Dubs disrepect the city through littering, grafitti etc but a lot of country folk and foreigners also litter constantly.

A friend of mine from Galway used to deliberately dump his supermacs containers and any other rubbish he had onto the street secure in the knowledge that 'some working-class Jackeen will be pickin' it up after me' :rolleyes:

lightening wrote:
    In what decent city? No other city has Irelands Eye!

This is my point.

Look, just try it, you are coming up with silly excuses now, doing your best to have a bad time. Try it, get out there and do something. Have you got a bike? There is a cycle track practically from Amiens st. to Howth. Are you near a Dart line? A Luas? They are not packed at the weekend. Is there a bus stop near you? Do you have access to a car? The traffic is not bad at the weekend.

Your point about Dubliners not being able to respect their city is an Irish thing, Irish people do not respect their country, there is litter in Cork, Limerick, Galway. Country people burn plastic, country people litter Dublin and the country.

For the love of God, is it seen as "doing your best to have a bad time" when criticising Dublin? These are not excuses, THEY HAVE BEEN MY POINT ALL ALONG before you decided to divert the topic! Check out post no. 17, wirtten three days ago.

Point taken about the litter being a nationwide problem, but how does that make it allright? How does that make Dublin clean?

• Advertisement

yawn... come back to me when you have at least tried to have a good time.

You have been given lots of examples of how to enjoy the city and you come back with "it will take me to long to get there" You should really move out of Dublin, its just not for you. Move to the German city you love.

As for Dublin GAA players, avoid going out on nights when the dubs are playing if they get to you...

I got stuck GAA traffic from the country, now I avoid driving around Drumcondra on match day.
    It must be soul destroying living somewhere you dont like.

Advertisement