Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt

Options
  • 17-07-2006 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

two small things i could use some help with.

1) buying a jap import that has already been imported from japan, eg a silvia on uk plates- does it get charged as a uk car or a jap car.

2) not being able to find the correct jap model. eg gallant VR-4. i can't find the right match whether i select uk car or jap car.

any ideas???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

1. I'd say a U.K. car as its already imported into the E.U.

2. It might be a "special" model according to the customs and they'll screw you on the V.R.T. for the privilege, check this out before you buy. I got screwed by them recently when I imported a Saab convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

On the silvia note,check out the vrt on them before you intend buying if its from japan,its risen 1k+ lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

cantdecide wrote:
    two small things i could use some help with.

1) buying a jap import that has already been imported from japan, eg a silvia on uk plates- does it get charged as a uk car or a jap car.

2) not being able to find the correct jap model. eg gallant VR-4. i can't find the right match whether i select uk car or jap car.

any ideas???

Its the country of FIRST registration so you pay the VRT of the Japanese Silvia not the Uk,

If you phone them with the chassis number they will give you a quote, Print off all the quotes you get so you have some back up if it changes while in between buying the car and clearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

The question they ask is "Vehicle First Registered in Japan" so I think I would answer Yes to that in your case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The reason they ask about 1st reg in Japan is so as they can charge VAT as well as VRT.

If you import a jap car that has been registered in the UK before here, then you are not liable for VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i assumed part of it was that there are japan only models as well? ie, there was never a european cefiro

Advertisement