Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I name them?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Apologies for the stupid length of the post but because the industry revolves so much on recomendations or warnings i think its important to question whether i name this guy.

Had a bit of a dodgy experience getting my septum pierced over the weekend and was wondering if I should be naming the place that did it or just put it down to the "always get pierced where you know and trust"

I was away over the weekend (in ireland), the only few days away I'd get over the summer so I had a stupid amount of cash with me and as we had a free afternoon I decided I'd get my septum done as I had been considering it for a while. Had asked a few heads I had met that where would be a good place in town to get done and all said this place, none particularly recommended or didn't and didn't know of other places to get pierced.

Thinking about it now there's several points I should have done a runner from the place but stubborness and the memory of my mate piercing my ears in his kitchen (still my best piercing experience) kept me there.

Usual studio story, buzz in a door and up way too many stairs to a waiting room, talked to the assistant/receptionist about it, filled out the form all that jazz and waited to be seated. Needed a whizz so popped across the hall to find a jacks blocked with loads of bog roll, kind of what you'd expect from a city centre pub not a place that's performing supposedly sterile procedures.

When I got called in to the piercing room it all seemed grand, bit of banter with the piercer, chose jewelery etc. etc. then the comedy started, he tried to reset his bed/chair thingy, one of the ones from a doctors surgery where the head and feet parts can go up and down, was actually like seeing a laurel and hardy routine, he'd put down the head end, the feet end would drop, he'd pull up the feet the head end would drop, I was pishing my self, he finally got it sorted and I hopped up and lay on my back as he readied all the bits and pieces.

When he put on his gloves he made a big deal of telling me he wasn't going to touch anything with them as he grabbed the door with his elbow to call in his assistant but then when he walked behind me and i craned to see him i could see him grabbing things out of presses and moving his trolley over. Now I don't know what's acceptable procedure in that instance but it wasn't cool seeing him grab stuff when he made such a big deal of telling me he wasn't opening the door with his hand.

As he started he said he wasn't going to mark it he'd prefer to just get the spots right with the clamp. He clamped it and really wrenched the crap out of my septum as he bent it back and forth to see both sides if you get me and got his assistant to check it. He had to reset it as the assistant knocked him as he moved to see and the clamps had moved. Once he was set again he pierced my septum, hurt like a mother but I had been expecting this, ring went in and we were done. He said have a look and see if you're happy and before I got up I asked him if he was happy with it, don't know why just did, he said yeah yeah, real happy, he gave me a mirror and i had a quick look and said yeah cool cos my GF was outside and wanted her to have a look as she had been worried beforehand, went out to her adn the two of us looked in the mirror.

It was crooked, not a little crooked, crooked, I'd say the holes were off each other by maybe 3mm one closer to the tip of my nose than the other, mightn't seem a lot but with a piercing as in your face (excuse the pun) as a septum its ****ing glaringly crooked esp as you see the ring flat against the face.

I go back to the assistant and tell him its crooked, he has a room full of customers so brings me back in pretty quick. The piercer decides he can't see how its crooked but me and the ass. can and I have to explain to him whats wrong, this is when he decides that I moved and its my fault, he says he'll do it again but its because I moved.

Now all the time he's giving me his banter about how he's a perfectionist and is more than happy to do it again, sorry but:

If your such a perfectionist why were you happy for me to walk out of there?! If i moved why did you go through with it?
    Did you not check it before you said i was done and could go?

Then he said he had a gut feeling as he was doing it that something wasnt right, yet he still did it?!

He redid it, hurt worse than the first time but at least its straight, he's promised me a free piercing but I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

TBH i don't really mid him doing it crooked the first time but the fact that he was happy to let me leave there if i hadn't noticed is real bad.

What do you guys think? name and shame or do you think he didn't actually notice it?, benefit of the doubt? It's the accumulation of all the little things that i don't like, seems careless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Name and Shame. Because i'm bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Jasus!

They sound pathetic... I had my septum peirced with no problems, it's dead straight and the percer made damn sure of it. He sounds like a cowboy.

I'm not too sure about naming and shaming to be honest though....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I think you should name them, I mean it was a personal experience and I think if it was the other way around and you were offering a glowing referance nobody would say don't name the person. It works both ways....do a good job and get more business form good word of mouth reports.....get sloppy and lazy and do a bad job and lose business from a bad rep. Thats the way the industry works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 idiotproof

A good point from Shelli has me telling you that I doubt you will be surprised to hear that it was Luke McMahon of Metal Works (a metal morphosis outfit) in Galway that pierced my septum.

I'm sure there's loads of people that have come out of there perfectly happy with their work but my measure of people is when things funk up. I had no problem with him doing it crooked in the first place, I've a few piercings so I'm a little bit more chilled out about it than most but his attitudes once i brought it up with him were annoying and tbh bullsiht. He tried to tell me my Snakebite done lipring was crooked aswell and that I had moved, I don't care if this is the case you were going to let me leave you shop with a crooked piercing.

Stay away from Metalworks in Galway, above The Body Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

idiotproof wrote:
    buzz in a door and up way too many stairs to a waiting room.

well if it was in dublin, that line right there has pretty much named the place

• Advertisement

mwa ha ha ha ha fooled by my cunning skull duggery!
    thats why i didnt say what city, like most I'd hold Snakebite up there as one of the best places to get pierced from personal experience and from friends adament (sp?) recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

el rabitos wrote:
    well if it was in dublin, that line right there has pretty much named the place

I thought so at first and refrained from posting, thinking either he was going to be wrong (:p) or there was somewhere else like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

i got a all my stuff done there and they were grand til the last time i got pierced, wont go into it, not wanna get in trouble or anything... will if i allowed?? it was one of the brotheres that did it, not really remember his name?

also my tats arent done so well(previous thread!). dont think i will go back there to be honest....

Off Topic but found this out the hard way this morning:

Trim your nose hairs BEFORE you get you septum done, had a painful time this morn cleaning the lymph away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

so where abouts was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

idiotproof wrote:
    Luke McMahon of Metal Works (a metal morphosis outfit) in Galway that pierced my septum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Metal Morphosis outfit....Doesn't surprise me in the least that you got a dodgy job done there. I'd be worried about the fact that he asked the assistant did it look OK. That kind of thing would make me walk out straight away.

I don't know about walking out on on someone if they asked their assistnats opinion, firstly its a second pair of eyes, in this instance it didn't help, and its a way of engaging someone they're training and looking at a piercing thats not done very often. In my work I'd ask for people below me to check what I'm doing for those reasons, maybe they'd spot something I hadn't noticed, maybe i would bring up somewhere whee they would go wrong.

I think you can say that in hindsight, but if you were in Snakebite and your piercer was working with a trainee and asked what they though you wouldn't walk out.

Advertisement