Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs Officers...

Options
  • 17-07-2006 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Was talking to a friend from Belfast over the weekend. He's on a 6 month contract in Dublin at the moment and work is putting him up in accomdation. Anyway he got stopped on Friday by Customs as he was leaving his place of work - seems this is common practice for them. To cut a long story short, he told them he was living in Dublin, they fined him, threatened to take the car off him but eventually told him to keep the car off the road until he got it imported (even copied down the mileage on the car).

My question is around the role of Custom officers and is more out of curiousity then anything else - Legally, what can and can't they do when they stop you in a scenario like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

First thing he should do is read the relevant (Irish Republic) Statutes and go browse Oasis. Because if all that you post is fact, the Customs Officers were very much in the wrong (which I'm surprised at).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Tell them to fu<k off.

In his situation he's legally entitled to have the car down here still on NI plates for a max of 12 months before deciding whether or not to import.

I'd be making a call to customs first thing this morning making a huge fuss and looking for a written apology due to the embarasment caused at your workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I doubt the Customs would put themselves in a predicament like that. It sounds as if they knew their stuff and were waiting for him, and it sounds like this guy would like to THINK he has a 6 month contract, I mean if it were true, he could prove it and avoid paying the fine !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭smarten31

Customs often come to where I work checking cars ( Dublin ). If not able to provide the correct docs etc they just take them away...dont think there is much you can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

the powers handed to customs seem to know no bounds, they're a law unto themselves :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

decrrrrrr wrote:
    My question is around the role of Custom officers and is more out of curiousity then anything else - Legally, what can and can't they do when they stop you in a scenario like this?

Legally they can lift the car, until he proves he has a right to have it on the road with NI plates... They have more powers than Gardai in a lot of respects.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

http://www.revenue.ie/services/foi/s16_2001/vrt_ins.pdf
    Pg 126/667
    Subject to certain conditions, restrictions and limitations, a qualifying, unregistered vehicle, i.e a vehicle which is validly registered abroad, may be granted temporary exemption from the requirement to be registered in the State. This relief normally applies for a period not exceeding twelve months and in such cases there is no requirement to make a formal application. Where a formal application is required, evidence of eligibility, as necessary, must be produced. Application can be made at any VRO and where exemption is granted the local RAET is to be advised of the details.
    From this and without wanting to read the entire document I believe that a foreign registered car may avoid VRT for up to 12 months if they *apply* for an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

the powers handed to customs seem to know no bounds, they're a law unto themselves

...........but they aren't ! They are acting within the Law, its the folk who use foreign cars here illegally that are being caught, nothing wrong with that IMO !

People need to familiarise themselves with the Law before falling foul of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

kbannon wrote:
    From this and without wanting to read the entire document I believe that a foreign registered car may avoid VRT for up to 12 months if they *apply* for an exemption.

That's not how I read it :)
    Subject to certain conditions, restrictions and limitations, a qualifying, unregistered vehicle, i.e a vehicle which is validly registered abroad, may be granted temporary exemption from the requirement to be registered in the State. This relief normally applies for a period not exceeding twelve months and in such cases there is no requirement to make a formal application.

Nonetheless, I note that-
    Where a formal application is required, evidence of eligibility, as necessary, must be produced. Application can be made at any VRO and where exemption is granted the local RAET is to be advised of the details.
    -is not particularised. So what does this 'where a formal application is required' correspond to?

Advertisement