Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy cereal thats NOT just birdseed.

• 17-07-2006 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there is a brekky cereal out there that is both healthy, and tastes good? Kind of annoyed by recent revelations that most of our cereal have way too much sugar/salt/concentrated evil in them.

I tried switching to some of the healthier cereals like country store, but good God, you can only take those small hard tasteless crunchy things and the weird white powdery stuff for so long.

Can anyone recommend a cereal thats good for you and is actually nice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 glucosamine

i presume you don't like porridge? Branflakes or even better all-bran? If you're a cocoa pops/sugar puffs/lucky charms with sugar sprinkled on top type of guy you could consider dropping cereal from your diet and having fruit, natural yogurt and some wholemeal brown bread for breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Bran flakes : "They're tasty, tasty, very very tasty... they're very tasty"

You could try shreddies.. instead of sugar sprinkle some cinnamon on them.... yum.. in fact that goes for any cereal.. no sugar.. use honey or cinnamon or fruit or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

special k meusli medley is lovely and i hate normal special k! worth trying its nicer than any of the other meauslis i tried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Trusty old corn flakes (not with tablespoons of sugar on them) :) with ice cold milk or bran flakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

special k meusli medley is lovely and i hate normal special k! worth trying its nicer than any of the other meauslis i tried
    They wouldn't be as healthy as normal Specia K would they? Id imagine its got extra sugar/honey in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Inisin

Wheatabix? Just throw some fruit on it to help with the taste when it turns to sludge.

Or try some good museli. There's a guy in the temple bar food market on saturdays that has some nice stuff, you can even ask him to throw in some other things like rasins, pineapple peices or whatever you like the look of. I've found it quite nice and it has no added sugar, just whatever is in the fruit you ask to be put in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i think it is meant to b very healthy its not full of sugar its got little pieces of fruit in it (apricot i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Special K or Corn Flakes aren't really healthy, why not try porridge?

I used to kinda scoff at the very idea of porridge being edible let alone nice, but to be honest I wouldn't be without it every morning now, love it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Archeron

HavoK wrote:
    Special K or Corn Flakes aren't really healthy, why not try porridge?

I used to kinda scoff at the very idea of porridge being edible let alone nice, but to be honest I wouldn't be without it every morning now, love it. :)

Cool. Must try it again. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Looks like porridge is the winner here. I tried it beofre but I got bored with it before pretty quick. (my fault because I eat the exact same thing eeevvveeerryyy day) so maybe I'll throw in some fruit or something to change it a bit.

How disappointed I was when I heard cornflakes arent very good for you, as Ruu says, good old cornies with ice cold milk flipping rocks!!!

Edit. Hey, its my post 666. Looks like it'll have to be some sort of Satanic porridge :-)

• Advertisement

Think I'll be sticking with the corn flakes here, I doubt if it will make a massive difference to me. My last medical showed I was in top shape. *flexes* Best of luck OP. :)

Well Cornflakes aren't very unhealthy, but not overly healthy for you either, by no means will you die of a heart attack contributed to by cornflakes, don't worry :D

Whereas Porridge is actually very good for you. Try it with some fruit or a spoon of honey. Really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

shreddedwheat and wheatabix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have fruit and fiber every morning, the fruit makes it a little less bland than all bran. I'd eat porridge only for it turns to concrete in the bowl if you don't clean it immediately.

Just skip breakfast that hole most important meal of the day craic is all a big con by the cereal companies to make you skip lunch.

What about cheerios? They always claim to be good for you, low sugar, fat and cholesterol content.

Cheerios, now thats a really great cereal, but someone I'd feel they aren't all too good for you, they both look and taste very artifically sweetened...

There are actually days where I've eaten cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My parents went away a few weeks ago for awhile and not being bothered to cook dinners, I lived for an entire week on nothing but porridge, protein shakes and the odd bit of chicken or cheese.

The worst thing is that I thought it was great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I got the new Branflakes 'Yogurty' last week and it's great, makes it a whole lot easier to eat bran flakes.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Ruu wrote:
    What about cheerios? They always claim to be good for you, low sugar, fat and cholesterol content.
    Woah I dunno about that..any as processed as that can't be ''good for you''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Kelloggs? I think have this Kashi multigrain cereal out - it's a bit pricey but it looks healthy with 7 different wholegrains, tastes abit like less sweet sugar puffs so prob not that healthy but does look quite virtuous!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Sauce

ThrownAway wrote:
    Woah I dunno about that..any as processed as that can't be ''good for you''
    Arent cheerios made from wholegrain oats and only contain 1 gram of sugar so they cant be all that bad for you.

As for me, I like to have porridge every morning with a handful of all-bran thrown ontop of it.

If you are concerned about your salt intake I dont think that all-bran is a good option as its high in salt

Jesus lads there was an article in the paper yesterday about cereals, some of the kids crap like Coco Pops and similar had as much as 30g's of sugar per 100g! They had a table done up, some of it was actually worse then eating a large bar of chocolate...

It was sickening, I knew some of those crap filled cereals were bad but not THAT bad! Anyone else read it? I can't remember what paper it was...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The only cereal I can eat without sugar is Fruit and Fibre... Lovely jubbley :D I'd eat it by the bucket load... Keeps me reglar too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Archeron

HavoK wrote:
    Jesus lads there was an article in the paper yesterday about cereals, some of the kids crap like Coco Pops and similar had as much as 30g's of sugar per 100g! They had a table done up, some of it was actually worse then eating a large bar of chocolate...

It was sickening, I knew some of those crap filled cereals were bad but not THAT bad! Anyone else read it? I can't remember what paper it was...

Didnt spot that, but I'd like to see it if you find any links or copies of it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

HavoK wrote:
    Well Cornflakes aren't very unhealthy, but not overly healthy for you either, by no means will you die of a heart attack contributed to by cornflakes, don't worry :D

Whereas Porridge is actually very good for you. Try it with some fruit or a spoon of honey. Really nice.

Mmmmmmm porridge with honey! :)

But undercook the oats so that way is still got a bit of bite and not just glue! Add chopped dates, v. sweet! Or prunes to keep ya right!!! ;)

Forget about Alpen or Country store, that white powder is very worrying. :( Have you tried getting a bag of fruity meusli in a healthfood shop. Soak some overnight in apple juice or one of those yoghurt drinks. In the morning add a grated apple if you like, it is lovely and soft and delish and healthy.

Bears no relation to birdseed! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I blend porridge oats, milk and bananas for a drink in the morning. I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Fill half a bowl with porridge, get a generous handful of "homecook" brand sultanas, put them into the porridge, add enough water to submerge all flakes, give it a swirl with your finger to blend sultanas, put it in the microwave for 2.5 minutes on high (800 watts) take out, give it a stir around with your spoon, fill the top half of the bowl with cornflakes and add unsweetened organic soya milk (if it's alpro brand, it's the wine coloured carton).

This is how I've been eating my cereal for months and months, I never get sick of it and I look forward to eating it, it's lovely and ok, so cornflakes aren't the healthiest thing in the world, but they are fine and add great taste and texture when eaten with porridge and sultanas.

Get a decent sized bowl and it will fill you up good until lunch.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Quite partial to Crunchy Oats myself, the wholesomeness of porridge oats with fruit and in crunchy cluster form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement