Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff for Spurs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeah, I haven't a clue what site I even posted that poll on now. :) Here's a poll from a Spurs site atm:

who would u rather have?
    nedved 5% [ 7 ]
    duff 94% [ 117 ]
    Total Votes : 124

Obviously age is a huge factor but still that's a huge margin of Spurs fans that rate Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

eirebhoy wrote:
    I prefer the old fashioned winger that Duff can be. I want him to get the ball and beat his man at every opportunity as it produces the best results.

Agree 100%, but maybe we have to accept that his place in history is as a player with bags of potential who was just too injury prone. This isn't his fault obviously, but it sure as hell isn't Mourinho's either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I think it's harsh to say he only had potential, for a while he had fulfilled it and was an absolute top class player. I don't see why he can't get back to that, hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    Obviously age is a huge factor but still that's a huge margin of Spurs fans that rate Duff.
    There's obviously a huge amount of International managers that rate him also considering the 3 on 1 marking that he receives whenever he plays for Ireland.

Departing Duff wanted by six top clubs

By Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh and Duncan Beech
    DAMIEN DUFF is wanted by six Premiership clubs including Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool.

A source close to Duff admitted that Tottenham Hotspur were also interested in signing the Ireland midfielder, but that no deal was done, nor had the 27-year-old, as reported, underwent a medical.

A move away from Chelsea is ‘highly likely’ it was admitted, but money would have no hand to play in the decision. Chelsea have offered €90,000-a-week Duff a two year extension to his current contract to tempt him to stay at Stamford Bridge, but Duff is eager to play more regularly.

“The Spurs thing is a bit of a setup,” the Irish Examiner was told. “There is no truth in it, he has not taken any medical tests at all. It is highly likely he will move, but as always in football that could change.

“If anything happens it’s going to be a purely football decision. Several clubs have shown interest in Damien. Six clubs in the Premiership and one outside England, but he knocked that one on the head himself.”

He reported back for pre-season training on Monday at Chelsea’s Cobham base but the signings of midfielder Michael Ballack and striker Andriy Shevchenko could see his opportunities diminish.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=891980#891980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Nice one. So its only really a waiting game to see where he goes. The only thing is that it unlikely he will go to UTD purely because they;re Chelsea's main rivals. This whole Spurs sounded realistic due to the fact that he wouldn't have to move house, but in that report it said that the Spurs link was a "setup"?

By the way, who does Duff support? I have it in me head that hes a Liverpool man? Maybe that'll have a bearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The_B_Man wrote:
    Nice one. So its only really a waiting game to see where he goes. The only thing is that it unlikely he will go to UTD purely because they;re Chelsea's main rivals. This whole Spurs sounded realistic due to the fact that he wouldn't have to move house, but in that report it said that the Spurs link was a "setup"?

By the way, who does Duff support? I have it in me head that hes a Liverpool man? Maybe that'll have a bearing?

Yeah I think he is a Liverpool fan, I think there were whispers after he left Blackburn that he would have preferred Liverpool to Chelsea, but that Liverpool couldn't match Chelsea's bid, so it was a non-runner.

TBH I don't think it's a done deal yet; there has been very little talk of Robben leaving, and it is widely held view by people itk in Spain that he is a target for Madrid, so something could still come of that. As Liam Brady said yesterday morning on Newstalk, I think that given the choice, Mourinho would prefer to keep Duff than Robben.

The_B_Man wrote:
    This whole Spurs sounded realistic due to the fact that he wouldn't have to move house, but in that report it said that the Spurs link was a "setup"?
    When he left Blackburn, rumour had it that he would go to Utd. because he wouldn't have to move aswell, so I wouldn't really worry about that being a factor.

The only problem about the piece that EB posted is the words...
    A source close to Duff

According to SSN Duff left Chelsea's training ground this morning shortly after arriving. He was due to train but called away by other matters.

Baz - I don't read the Examiner but is it a reliable paper or just as bad as the tabloids?

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Baz - I don't read the Examiner but is it a reliable paper or just as bad as the tabloids?
    Dunno. Don't read it either. It's just when I hear "a source said" I tend to be a bit sceptical. "A source close to Duff said he'll be off to Spurs soon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Noooo, this can't fade into summer rumour, it has to happen.

get this thread back up to the first page.

Run Damien..RUN!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

apparently liverpool and newcastle are vying for him too.

It'd be tough choosing between liverpool and spurs but i think newcastle are a distant third tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Skysports are reporting that his agent has been given permission to talk to Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle. I'm surprised that Chelsea are willing to let him go to Liverpool and if it's true, I think that will be his first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

F365 suggests Newcastle are the main challengers to Chelsea:

http://www.football365.com/news/story_189179.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Duff to Barcodes - its official.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~870767,00.html

Hope they lose in the twobob cup tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Scratch one from the CL playing list.

Crap :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

For all his faults Shepherd is still a force to be reckoned with in the transfer market, Newcastle have a history of attracting the big names (Shearer, Woodgate, Owen amongst others) and appear to have outmuscled our rivals yet again, but I wonder what this means for Luque's future in Toon? I rate him very highly and would be sorry if we don't get to see the best of him. I suppose he'll be sold now to make way for a decent striker.

Since the news broke I've noticed a lot anti-Newcastle comments saying we're a club in decline. Strange because in reality since Souness was sacked we've been on the up and up. Duff has been one of my favourite players since he broke onto the scene in 1997 and I'm sure he, along with Given, Parker and Solano, will keep the club moving in the right direction.

Howay the Toon!

eh, Newcastle? did Liverpool or Spurs change their name? i thought they were a distant 3rd? tho look at it this way. with Duff, they just might be challengers!

kinaldo wrote:

Since the news broke I've noticed a lot anti-Newcastle comments saying we're a club in decline.

A club in the Intertoto is a more apt term rather than decline. Seriously irelands best attacking player leaving CL football for Newcastle when Spurs an pool were in for him.

With duff in your team what will you be challenging for UEFA cup qualification ?

Kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great signing for Newcastle. It's a pitty they won't be quite at full strength come the start of the season with Owen still out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Get In! :D

KdjaC wrote:
    A club in the Intertoto is a more apt term rather than decline. Seriously irelands best attacking player leaving CL football for Newcastle when Spurs an pool were in for him.

With duff in your team what will you be challenging for UEFA cup qualification ?

Kdjac

Newcastle on paper should be qualifying for the uefa cup with ease. I keep saying if it wasn't for Souness' complete mis-management last season we would have finished ahead of Spurs. If we make it through the intertoto and get a striker to fill in for Owen then we''ll be one of the favourites to lift the uefa cup. We were a mid-table team until Booby Robson signed just 2 players (Bells and Robert) who quite literally transformed us to finish 4th, 3rd and 5th so that is where I expect us to be again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

kinaldo wrote:
    Since the news broke I've noticed a lot anti-Newcastle comments saying we're a club in decline. Strange because in reality since Souness was sacked we've been on the up and up. Duff has been one of my favourite players since he broke onto the scene in 1997 and I'm sure he, along with Given, Parker and Solano, will keep the club moving in the right direction.

Howay the Toon!

a club in decline? dont you have to have been a club on the up first? or have been on top?

newcastle have a history of having all the right players and not having a clue what to do with them.

its like, one year they have all the right players and the wrong manager, then the next year or two they have the right manager and sub par players.

i dont know what duffs thinking tbh, are newcastle sponsored by hibernian insurance? PRETTY good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

el rabitos wrote:
    its like, one year they have all the right players and the wrong manager, then the next year or two they have the right manager and sub par players.

Personally I don't think we have ever gotten it right on the player/manger front. Close with Keegan in the mid 90's and pretty consistant under Bobby, I hope we do well this year and Roeder doesn't mess us up!

He's coming for the wage packet. Neither Spurs nor Liverpool would be able to match Newcastle on the wage front. We have a fair few quid freed up with Shearer and Bowyer gone. Hopefully if we get rid of Dyer we will get in another top player.

A top class striker and a top class centre-half and we will be in contention for a top 4/5 finish.

Newcatle had a better finish to the season last seaon under Roeder then Spurs had.

We will hopfully be in Europe this year, but if players stay fit and we get one or two more in, we will definately be in europe next year.

evilhomer wrote:
    We will hopfully be in Europe this year, but if players stay fit and we get one or two more in, we will definately be in europe next year.

Altho your a Newcastle fan, im not :p I look at this transfer from a purely irish point and its a bad move for the national team, yes he will get his game but he wont be playing in the Champions League anytime soon.

Leaves with a grand total of 0 CL players this season if O Shea goes to Spurs. Celtic players dont count as they play for Celtic.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Can't believe he is going to Newcastle massive step down. Though I always read rumours on the internet that he wanted to head back up North as he was not settled in London could be a load of bo**ox but might be a reason why he turned down spurs. Bad move from an Irish perspective, with Newcastes lack of strikers he could end up playing up front. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

kinaldo wrote:
    , but I wonder what this means for Luque's future in Toon?
    well, since he is the only fit forward/striker they have, then im pretty sure hes ok.....

as i said to castor troy\twosheds jackson today (for htose of you with that far a memory) all you need now is another 8 decent players (given going with those mentioned before)

personally, as always i believe a deal is done only when a deal is done a not before. im disappointed. i would have loved to have seen duff at spurs. why he chose toon, i have no idea.
    i really dont consider them to be the force they used to be. alan shearer carried that team so much, and when he is not playing they look like recent promotion candidates at worse, mid table mediocraty at best.

i fail to see waht duff brings to toon as an over all force. after all, its not as if he bangs in the goals. hes a provider. i dont see toon with the player to finish it off. but hey, another 8 siginings and they will be ok until someone gets injured.

as for spurs, keep looking at the future baby. im oging for 3rd in the premiership this year behind chelsea and liverpool tbh.

The amount of sh1t I've had to endure watching Newcastle down the years has not deterred me from being optimistic about the forthcoming season. Anyone slagging off the club after they've just signed a top class player can only be doing so out of spite and jealousy. Saying Newcastle only have about 3 good players is plain ignorant. Also, so what if he isn't playing CL football this season, he wouldn't be doing that at Spurs either and at least he won't be spending time on the bench.

as for spurs, keep looking at the future baby. im oging for 3rd in the premiership this year behind chelsea and liverpool tbh.

i agree, and thats why i'm fairly shocked at duff's choice tbh.

spurs have been agressively recruiting all the best young english talent in the last few years and now seems to be the time for reaping the rewards of it.

ye well, he left chelsea to get regualr football, and hes pretty much guaranteed to play every game for newcastle. serves his purpose for leaving anyway.

• Advertisement

I dont know why everyone is bitching becuase he hasnt gone to spurs. spurs are only in the uefa cup not cl. and newcastle imo will make uefa cup this season. and he will play week in week out which is what you want from an irish perspective. and i think he will play on the left not as a striker. i dont think roeder would dish out 10 million+ on a left winger to play him as a striker ffs.

I dont know why everyone is bitching becuase he hasnt gone to spurs. spurs are only in the uefa cup not cl. and newcastle imo will make uefa cup this season. and he will play week in week out which is what you want from an irish perspective. and i think he will play on the left not as a striker. i dont think roeder would dish out 10 million+ on a left winger to play him as a striker ffs.

spurs are a youngish team with a good spine to them and have alot of momentum right now, whereas newcastle have a few top players in a couple of positions, some over the hill players, a few over paid wasters and a chairman that couldnt put the right manager in place for fear of actually winning a throphy. no offence like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

as i said to castor troy\twosheds jackson today (for htose of you with that far a memory) all you need now is another 8 decent players (given going with those mentioned before)
    BAN CASTOR TROY!!! ;)

It seems a strange one, but a least duffer will be getting regular football, although will he get the Newcastle injury jinx with his dodgy hamstrings.

el rabitos wrote:
    spurs are a youngish team with a good spine to them and have alot of momentum right now, whereas newcastle have a few top players in a couple of positions, some over the hill players, a few over paid wasters and a chairman that couldnt put the right manager in place for fear of actually winning a throphy. no offence like :D

Good youngish teams don't always come to fruition think back to Leeds and even Newcastle a few seasons ago. Spurs finally get into Europe and all of a sudden they're gonna conquer the world! Thanks for taking Jenas off our hands btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

tbh Duff has turned out to be a mercenary which has shocked me because I thought he left Chelsea for footballing reasons not financial. I think a lot of this fiasco is down to his agent who we all know. Duff had the chance to come to spurs and complete the jigsaw. Apart from out right back position the left wing was the only slot that needed to be strenghtened. Instead he choce to go to newcastle because they were prepared to offer him silly money reported to be about 80k a week whilst we would only offer 50k + a large signing on fee.

The party I am most suprised with in this whole mess is Newcastle. Why on earth would you splash that kind of cash on a position which was probably your strongest. It would like us signing a right winger to keep Lennon out of the team. I mean the club is already in debt up to their eyeballs and their defence and strikeforce is in a shambles. I cant believe they are not saving their money for those positions. I can see Newcastle doing a Leeds very soon if they are not careful.

kinaldo wrote:
    The amount of sh1t I've had to endure watching Newcastle down the years has not deterred me from being optimistic about the forthcoming season. Anyone slagging off the club after they've just signed a top class player can only be doing so out of spite and jealousy. Saying Newcastle only have about 3 good players is plain ignorant. Also, so what if he isn't playing CL football this season, he wouldn't be doing that at Spurs either and at least he won't be spending time on the bench.

that right. im really jealous i dont support newcaslte

dont you have a thread of your own for players?

as for CL, who said anything about that?
    kinaldo wrote:
    Good youngish teams don't always come to fruition think back to Leeds and even Newcastle a few seasons ago. Spurs finally get into Europe and all of a sudden they're gonna conquer the world! Thanks for taking Jenas off our hands btw.

youre obviously a bit young otherwise youd know that leeds problems were financial, not the actually players themselves.

as for jenas, yep, hes certainly turning into the player that he should be since he left st james park. not the finished article by along way, but certainly far more accomplished technically and physically than he was at newcastle.

um, i think thats the point people are making.

newcastle dont have any forwards...

and i dont see anyone bitching. i see people reacting with surprise at the decision. he good luck to him at toon. i think most people would say he was better of going to spurs though, but sure, hes the man in charge of his own destinay. although that destany is probably now to tear every ligament he has on toons dodgey training ground.

Playboy wrote:

The party I am most suprised with in this whole mess is Newcastle. Why on earth would you splash that kind of cash on a position which was probably your strongest. It would like us signing a right winger to keep Lennon out of the team. I mean the club is already in debt up to their eyeballs and their defence and strikeforce is in a shambles. I cant believe they are not saving their money for those positions. I can see Newcastle doing a Leeds very soon if they are not careful.

Most clubs are in debt these days and Newcastle thankfully have the resouces to finance theirs, unlike Leeds did. So that's very unlikely to ever happen, certainly not anytime soon.

As for the strikeforce, I think it's a case remaining patient, not wasting money on the wrong player, and being sure of whether or not we'll be playing in Europe before spending anymore.

kinaldo wrote:

er...i'm a liverpool fan. i just admire how spurs have agressively hunted down some of the best young english talent and delevoped them well.

you cant really compare newcastle a few years ago to spurs, newcastle have a poor history of the wrong manager at the right time in terms of the squad they have. and leeds' success was just artificial, they spent money they just didnt have and they paid for it.

spurs arent in the dept leeds were and have a good young proven winner in jol.

it could all go assways, but this season they could easily take 3rd spot, unless they go and help man u by selling carrick to them. in all reality man u (in their current state, haven brought in nobody) are there for the taking. spurs, arsenal and liverpool can really capitalise and knock utd down a fair bit imo

as for CL, who said anything about that?
    My post wasn't a response to u directly. Kdjac was harping on about Cl football.
    that right. im really jealous i dont support newcaslte
    I'm jealous of Barcelona and other clubs but not that I don't support them.

youre obviously a bit young otherwise youd know that leeds problems were financial, not the actually players themselves.

I know that some of their players got into a lot of trouble off the pitch and never actually won anything. The most they acheived was a CL semi final.

• Advertisement

so, you actually are not aware of why leeds never did anything after their CL semi?

its because they had to sell all their bloody players, and their stadium, to pay the 95m they had in debt.

if youre going to back up your arguments with examples, make sure you the examples work for you. or at least know what the example is.

currently we are all jealous of newcaslte, and spurs are leeds 5 years on according to you.

indeed.

start a newcaslte thread. you have a fine new signing to start it of with....

kinaldo wrote:
    Most clubs are in debt these days and Newcastle thankfully have the resouces to finance theirs, unlike Leeds did. So that's very unlikely to ever happen, certainly not anytime soon.

As for the strikeforce, I think it's a case remaining patient, not wasting money on the wrong player, and being sure of whether or not we'll be playing in Europe before spending anymore.

Yes i think we will invest heavily in a new striker or 2. And id rather be patient and make the right buy. But not too long and do panic buys towards the end of the transfer window.

kinaldo wrote:
    and never actually won anything. T

when was the last time newcastle won anything?

off the top of my head it was 57 or 58.

am i close?

Playboy wrote:
    tbh Duff has turned out to be a mercenary which has shocked me because I thought he left Chelsea for footballing reasons not financial. I think a lot of this fiasco is down to his agent who we all know. Duff had the chance to come to spurs and complete the jigsaw. Apart from out right back position the left wing was the only slot that needed to be strenghtened. Instead he choce to go to newcastle because they were prepared to offer him silly money reported to be about 80k a week whilst we would only offer 50k + a large signing on fee.

Well the left mid i think is a position we could strengthen...we have nzogbia and he is good but still very young, and luque has to play up front this season.

am i close?

We will the intertoto cup in a few weeks :cool:

lmao

good. best of luck. see you in the uefa cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

am i close?

LOL. The same could be said about Spurs in all fairness. It's been 15 years since they won anything of note.

At least Newcastle have played in the CL in recent years.

personally, as always i believe a deal is done only when a deal is done a not before. im disappointed. i would have loved to have seen duff at spurs. why he chose toon, i have no idea.
    i really dont consider them to be the force they used to be. alan shearer carried that team so much, and when he is not playing they look like recent promotion candidates at worse, mid table mediocraty at best.

i fail to see waht duff brings to toon as an over all force. after all, its not as if he bangs in the goals. hes a provider. i dont see toon with the player to finish it off. but hey, another 8 siginings and they will be ok until someone gets injured.

I'll give you one idea: Perhaps he had a word with Andy Reid, yet another midfielder on the Spurs scrapheap. Maybe Duff didn't fancy taking that chance. After all, he's already had one season being in and out of a team.

Newcastle can guarantee him football and, TBH, week-in, week-out, I don't think there's a better left winger than Duff in the PL when he's on his game. He'll be a huge asset to them.

Newcastle are still a very good side. After Souness left last year, they rose up the table dramatically and almost finished in a European position. Owen is a worry but I think they could easily sign a striker before the start of the new season. There's nothing too bad about their midfielder either. Emre, Parker and N'Zogbia are all great players. The defence has tightened up since that 8.5 million waste of space Boumsong was dropped too.

I'd back them for a top six finish this year if Roeder can get things right.

Well the left mid i think is a position we could strengthen...we have nzogbia and he is good but still very young, and luque has to play up front this season.

There's your problem right there. Luque, with a career goalscoring record slightly better than Emile Heskey's, moves up front to replace Shearer and the injured Owen, while you buy Duff to play LW in Luque/Nzogbia's place.

Newcastle are doing with Duff what they did with Owen the previous year, papering over the cracks with a big name signing in the hope that it will placate the fans. What's Owen's games per £ spent to date, £1.45m? Thing is, they have some great players at the club, Emre/Luque/Parker/Given and now Duff, but its a seriously imbalanced squad, with defence and a centre forward or two desperately needed.

As for Duff's choice, have to say I'm surprised at him. It appears money has talked, much like self-professed Spurs fan Scott Parker last season, and I think it will backfire on him, much to Ireland's detriment.

Oh, and the dolphins must be Kerry, cos I've found myself agreeing with everything el rabitos has had to say...:D

Oh, and the dolphins must be Kerry, cos I've found myself agreeing with everything el rabitos has had to say...:D

hey i'm smrt! i know...stuff...

i think weather or not spurs sell carrick will really be a show of their ambition, selling him to united is only helping them when they're looking pretty desperate.

3rd or 4th place and an fa cup or league cup final and a long run in the uefa would be a good season and a step forward i reckon

so, you actually are not aware of why leeds never did anything after their CL semi?

I am aware oh wise one, but I was commenting on their under-acheivement prior to selling off all their best players, some of whom helped them get relegated.
    if youre going to back up your arguments with examples, make sure you the examples work for you. or at least know what the example is.

OK that makes a lot of sense.
    currently we are all jealous of newcaslte, and spurs are leeds 5 years on according to you.

Yes that's exactly what I said.
    start a newcaslte thread. you have a fine new signing to start it of with....

I'm sure you're not at all jealous of Newcastle's new signing but please don't tell me what to do.

el rabitos wrote:

i think weather or not spurs sell carrick will really be a show of their ambition, selling him to united is only helping them when they're looking pretty desperate.

I read that one differently...

Carrick's dragging his heels on contract negotiations, suggesting he wants a move. Extracting top $ from Utd becomes top priority if we do accept that Carrick's on his way out. The more we get for him, the less they have to spend on others. That said, we're not hawking him around OT, they know they need to come up with the goods if they want him.

Zokora will be a better player anyway...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement