Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Expiry

Options
  • 17-07-2006 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Took a search, can't find anything that answers my question.

Got 2 points on Fri, 160k on kildare by-pass(120 the limit).It was a fair cop, but can't see how gunning people on a road designed for speed saves lives, but anyway.....my question is, my points remain on my licence till july 2009, if I (and I don't plan to) pick up another 2 points in december, lasting till dec 2009, will the first 2 expire before the 2nd 2?Or will all 4 points expire at same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If you got stopped last Frida, you wont officially have points 'till you recieve notification is about 6/7 weeks time. They will last 3 years from that time. Any more will start and finish in the same way, ie. the first points will expire earlier !!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Cheers MercMad

Not as bad as I feared so.Drove from limerick to dub yesterday with the needle on the limit whole way and made it up in good time, so my speeding days are over...funny tho only ever floored it on the motorway, always stuck to limit on national and back roads....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Its a pity they only could give you two points.

Why that now?

Anyone doing 100mph on a road where the limit is 75mph deserves to lose their licence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gyppo wrote:
    Anyone doing 100mph on a road where the limit is 75mph deserves to lose their licence.
    we no longer have imperial speed limits - didn't you know?

Also doing 160kmph on a clear dry motorway is IMO safer than doing 50 in a resedential area!

Ok, if you want to be pedantic:

Anyone doing 160 kilometers/hour on a road where the limit is 120 kilometers/hour deserves to lose their licence.

By the same token, people caught drink driving deserved to be dragged out of the car and shot.

I broke the law, and I was over the limit, but as I said already motorway is a road designed to for speed.Breaking the limit on national or back roads is crazy as far as I'm concerned, but people do it there more often as they know they won't be caught, hence vast majority of road deaths occuring on those type of roads.

@ OP,
    Whilst I might not agree completely with your theory on motorway speeds, I admire your honesty for holding your hands up and admitting you were wrong. Fair play to you on that aspect.

I believe that a motorway is designed for speed, but at 160kmh, you really need to be looking a long way ahead of you, and anticipating the actions of dozy twits who dont realise how fast you are coming up behind them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gyppo wrote:
    Im not - you suddenly converted the discussed speed limits into mph - something we don't use.
    gyppo wrote:
    Anyone doing 160 kilometers/hour on a road where the limit is 120 kilometers/hour deserves to lose their licence.
    I accept your beliefs. However, you can explain why this should be the case.

• Advertisement

gyppo wrote:
    I believe that a motorway is designed for speed, but at 160kmh, you really need to be looking a long way ahead of you, and anticipating the actions of dozy twits who dont realise how fast you are coming up behind them.
    Well the road is as straight as a die, so I can anticipate quite a bit ahead of me.Anyway, this is futile now, cos I won't be doing it again.I actually think you need to be more wary on the motorway when sticking to the limit, cos when your speeding your only concern is what is ahead and to the left, when in slow lane, it's what is ahead, to the right and behind.

I think they should raise Mway limit to 130/140 and lower back road limit to 70 in some sections.Doing 80/100 kmh on some sections of road in this country is ridiculous, never know what's around the corner(diggers, cows, children, walkers, cyclists).

@kbannon,

Fair point, I did convert. However, I, (and I'm sure many others) still think in mph, and therefore expressing speeds in mph gives a more meaningful expression of speed.

Earlier post -> I believe that a motorway is designed for speed, but at 160kmh, you really need to be looking a long way ahead of you, and anticipating the actions of dozy twits who dont realise how fast you are coming up behind them.

My fear on the motorways is what other people will suddenly do. Its bad enough that someone will suddenly change lane at 120kmh, never mind when you are travelling 33% faster again.
    Taking it from the other viewpoint, if you were about to change lanes, looked behind you and saw a dot 0.5km away, how are you to know when this car will be on top of you? What speed is it doing? 120kmh? 160kmh? 200kmh?

Speed limits are there for a good reason. If the speed limit on motorways was changed to 160kmh, I would have no objection. Then we would all be singing off the same hymnsheet!

@gyppo

That's another fair point.Some people have not found their indicator switch yet, whereas others engage it as they execute their indicated actions, which is too late.Im driving on motoryways(M50, M7, M4) a fair bit, and the vast majority of people have no clue, which in that case makes speed dangerous(don't speed when many cars about, had practically open road on fri nite).Driving 2 feet behind the car in front doing 120Kmh is bananas, really dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

gyppo wrote:
    @kbannon,

Fair point, I did convert. However, I, (and I'm sure many others) still think in mph, and therefore expressing speeds in mph gives a more meaningful expression of speed.
    !

anyone who still thinks in mph should be banned off the road. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

gyppo wrote:
    @kbannon,

Earlier post -> I believe that a motorway is designed for speed, but at 160kmh, you really need to be looking a long way ahead of you, and anticipating the actions of dozy twits who dont realise how fast you are coming up behind them.

My fear on the motorways is what other people will suddenly do. Its bad enough that someone will suddenly change lane at 120kmh, never mind when you are travelling 33% faster again.
    Taking it from the other viewpoint, if you were about to change lanes, looked behind you and saw a dot 0.5km away, how are you to know when this car will be on top of you? What speed is it doing? 120kmh? 160kmh? 200kmh?

Speed limits are there for a good reason. If the speed limit on motorways was changed to 160kmh, I would have no objection. Then we would all be singing off the same hymnsheet!

Nervous drivers with poor observation skills should be banned off the road. ;)

Sticks tongue out @SoP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

gyppo wrote:

oh get off that high horse/troll. you know nothing about the road conditions or anything.

so should anyone who does 160kmph on the autobahn be considered a menace to others? remember that alot of them are 2 lane motorways like our own?

If it warrented dangerous driving then the garda would have given a ticket for dangerous driving also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

comanche wrote:
    If it warrented dangerous driving then the garda would have given a ticket for dangerous driving also.

Slightly off topic, but there was a guy in court that go away with a dangerous driving charge for doing 155kph in a 100kph zone (somewhere around the red cow I think). Judge said speeding alone did not qualify dangerous driving (he got the points for speeding though).

I don't think 160kph in a 120 zone should be a banning offense, but anyone doing that speed can't complain if they get caught (not that the OP was complaining).

@ commanche,

if you took the time and trouble to read the thread correctly, you would have seen that I would have have no problem with a speed limit of 160kmh.
    My point was that everyone should be governed by the speed limit.

afaik, there are no autobahns in this country.

I dont know what the road conditions were - what I do know is the OP was going 33% faster than the legal limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

comanche wrote:
    oh get off that high horse/troll. you know nothing about the road conditions or anything.

so should anyone who does 160kmph on the autobahn be considered a menace to others? remember that alot of them are 2 lane motorways like our own?

I hate when people dont read the full thread before posting

if you look at gyppo second last post (??) he clearly says that if the limits were changed to 160kph then everybody be in the same position (on the same hymnsheet) making it easier to judges distances between cars and the like. When the limit is 120kph and some twit is doing 160kph how are you supposed to anticipate his actions if he is coming behind/along side/under you 33% faster than he is supposed to without you knowing...

ps there is a point in the rant there somewhere

• Advertisement

Thank you Neacy69

So are you telling me when you look in your rearview, you can't tell if someone is bombing up behind you?

Do you look in your mirror, indicate, move and hope for best.

Mirror, Signal, Mirror, Move....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

[QUOTE=thewing
    Got 2 points on Fri, 160k on kildare by-pass(120 the limit).It was a fair cop, but can't see how gunning people on a road designed for speed saves lives
    [/QUOTE]

Irish roads are designed for public transport, race tracks are designed for speed. Perhaps you got the two mixed up!!

thewing wrote:
    So are you telling me when you look in your rearview, you can't tell if someone is bombing up behind you?

hope for the fcuking best- please say your not telling me to hope that some twit wont kill me just cos he's in a hurry

thewing wrote:

When I look in the mirror, I used to hope that whoever was coming up behind was travelling within the limits of the law. Unfortunately, all you see now are clowns who don't believe in obeying speed limits, "bombing up behind you".

neacy69 wrote:
    hope for the fcuking best- please your not telling me to hope that some twit wont kill me just cos he's in a hurry

I wouldn't want anyone to be 'hoping' anything while driving, should always be sure of what your doing on the road.

A factor of driving on irish roads is having to factor in for idiots - speeding/lack of indication etc.

Just to reiterate, I was caught on fri nite, no other cars ahead, to the side or behind.Road was clear and dry.I don't speed when there is traffic about, and won't be speeding in any situation again...

@ibanezjem - yeah, your right.Only thing is, when know one else on it, don't feel too public!!But your right, and I was wrong.

thewing wrote:
    A factor of driving on irish roads is having to factor in for idiots - speeding/lack of indication etc.

I presume you are including yourself in this category.

@gyppo

I've admitted my guilt, if you want to start the name calling I refuse to oblige.

Fair enough, point taken

• Advertisement

gyppo wrote:
    Fair enough, point taken

dont you mean "points given" :D:D

sorry Wingman couldnt resist ;)

Advertisement