Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Expiry

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Geeez.... Some people...

When are people going to learn that driving is a mixture of common sense, observation and the ability to anticipate whats going to happen. Yes, you should be well able to anticipate 'someone bombing up behind you'. Speed limits are set by someone who has to cover all possible conditions and scenarios that could happen on that road. As we know, there are many speed limits around this country that are not suitable for the road they govern. I am also of the opinion that 160km/h on a motorway is a perfectly acceptable speed under the correct conditions. However I stick to the speed limits simply because of the law. I drove on a two lane autobahn last month at 190km/h while being overtaken by other cars, Golfs etc. nothing special.

@gyppo: Are you saying that your no 160km/h rule would apply to someone driving on an empty motorway also?

Its the lack of driver education and idiocy of drivers in this country that make driving here so dangerous. The amount of ejits who dont indicate or tailgate in this country is astounding. Again, over in the continent, the quality of driver skill is superior, simply because the system doesnt allow them to just jump in a car and drive when, where and how they want to.

I drive a bike also and one of the things you learn is called a 'life-saver'. This is simply looking over your shoulder to check for vehicles, no matter what you see in the mirrors. I also apply this rule to car driving.

I'd like to see those chevrons on motorways/dc's in this country like on the continent - you are supposed to be able to see two of them at any time ensuring a safe distance to the vehicle in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

LOL @neacy69!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Drax wrote:
    Geeez.... Some people...

When are people going to learn that driving is a mixture of common sense, observation and the ability to anticipate whats going to happen. Yes, you should be well able to anticipate 'someone bombing up behind you'. Speed limits are set by someone who has to cover all possible conditions and scenarios that could happen on that road. As we know, there are many speed limits around this country that are not suitable for the road they govern. I am also of the opinion that 160km/h on a motorway is a perfectly acceptable speed under the correct conditions. However I stick to the speed limits simply because of the law. I drove on a two lane autobahn last month at 190km/h while being overtaken by other cars, Golfs etc. nothing special.

@gyppo: Are you saying that your no 160km/h rule would apply to someone driving on an empty motorway also?

Its the lack of driver education and idiocy of drivers in this country that make driving here so dangerous. The amount of ejits who dont indicate or tailgate in this country is astounding. Again, over in the continent, the quality of driver skill is superior, simply because the system doesnt allow them to just jump in a car and drive when, where and how they want to.

I drive a bike also and one of the things you learn is called a 'life-saver'. This is simply looking over your shoulder to check for vehicles, no matter what you see in the mirrors. I also apply this rule to car driving.

I'd like to see those chevrons on motorways/dc's in this country like on the continent - you are supposed to be able to see two of them at any time ensuring a safe distance to the vehicle in front.

Drax, if you read the full thread, you will see that I have no problem with a 160kmh speed limit on a motorway, provided it is a legal limit and applies to all.
    At the moment, the legal permitted limit under optimum driving conditions (such as empty, dry, ) is 120kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if you are in the overtaking lane and you are holding up traffic behind you then you should not be in the overtaking lane .

i think this topic has gone way off the op's question which i think was answered in the second or third post

if you want to discuss why people in this country can go over 120k then id suggest making a new thread . personally i know of 2 roads that i would consider good enough for a 140k speed limit ( m1 from airport exit - the end ) ( m7 portlaoise - cant rember just before the roadworks start )

dont forget to inform your insurance company of the points. gyppo made good points stop taking his head off

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I'll wait for renewal

M7 was the road I was on....

Yup way off topic....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

gyppo wrote:
    @ commanche,

if you took the time and trouble to read the thread correctly, you would have seen that I would have have no problem with a speed limit of 160kmh.
    My point was that everyone should be governed by the speed limit.

afaik, there are no autobahns in this country.

I dont know what the road conditions were - what I do know is the OP was going 33% faster than the legal limit.

No you have no problem with a 160kmph speed limit. but you do have a problem with the driver being 33% faster than the speed limit. Does that make him a dangerous driver, does it mean he should recieve an automatic ban?

Personally I have no problem with someone breaking the speed limit when the conditions allow it once they are willing to accept the consequences (and the OP did accept one of the possible consequence of driving at 160kmph).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

comanche wrote:
    No you have no problem with a 160kmph speed limit. but you do have a problem with the driver being 33% faster than the speed limit. Does that make him a dangerous driver, does it mean he should recieve an automatic ban?

Personally I have no problem with someone breaking the speed limit when the conditions allow it once they are willing to accept the consequences (and the OP did accept one of the possible consequence of driving at 160kmph).

Yes, I believe it does make him a dangerous driver. Someone who believes that they should drive at a speed 33% faster than the maximum allowed appears to have no respect for the law, themselves, or most importantly, other road users. Speed limits are a set of rules applied for good reasons. The consequences of an accident at such a speed dont bear thinking about.
    To re-iterate: anyone who drives up to 33% faster than other road users are allowed to pose's a distinct danger to other road users, regardless of how good this driver is (or purports to be).

To be speeding at a level over 33% of the maximum permitted level should warrant at least more than 2 points.It should not matter that the road was quiet, dry, etc.. - the rules of the road must apply to all users, and must be enforced.
    I think the OP in fairness has been upfront in admitting his wrongdoing. I also think he got away lightly, and that there should be more punitive penalties for drivers who reach these speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

thewing wrote:
    ...and won't be speeding in any situation again...

The system works!

Back on topic for a second,

I was caught in July 2003 on the Nass Road (opp. Joels, just off the M50 exit), heading towards the Belgard Road. I was doing 50 mph and it was a 40 mph zone. I was unaware the limit was 40mph, as I could have sworn the sign said 50mph.

Anyways, Im holding my hand up and saying, yes, I was going over the speed limit, its a fair cop (I was caught by the unmarked transit van camera). I received the notice in October 2003. I paid the fine and took the 2 points within a week. The limit on that section of road has sinced been raised to 80 kph (50 mph). I did inform my insurance company when I received the notice in October 2003, and they took note on my policy, and factored this into my premium.

Since then, I have been extra careful not to go over the speed limit on any road, and also have bought a car with cruise control (best thing ever for the open roads - no worries, just point and drive, the speed stays the same - I love it!)

According to the Department of Transport, the points wont expire until December 2006 :eek: , as the points were not applied to my licence until that date.

2 Questions coming up....

1. Should my points have been applied from October 2003, when I paid the fine (admission of guilt) and took the points?

2. Do I have any legal challenge over
    a) the points not being applied until Dec 2003?
    and
    b) the limit on the road being raised to the speed that I was actually caught at?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

re #1 - to answer your question, yes they should have but in the silly world of Irish law and government bureaucracy this isn't the case - the date you pay the fine and the date points are applied are separate.

#2a - no legal grounds AFAIK
    #2b - you broke the law of the time. Whatever law comes into force after the date of your offence is irrelevant.

Advertisement