Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Wood floor - creaking and springy

Options
  • 17-07-2006 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi - I'm looking at buying a newly-built house which has solid wood, juncker-style flooring. In spots around the house, the flooring is pretty creaky and in someplaces it's a bit springy (you can press up and down on the floor to get the creaking going).

The house is, I'm told, 1 year old with a concrete sub-floor.

I'm thinking that perhaps the problem is that the floor has not been given enough room to expand. Is this a factor for solid wood flooring just like it is for floorboards?

I was thinking perhaps the remedy would be to remove the skirtings and cut back the wood by an inch or so for an expansion gap.

Or will I just ruin a perfectly good floor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Sounds like the concrete underneath is uneven, or it was possibly to moist still when the floor was being laid. Don't think cutting back the wood ad the sides would help, but I'm no carpenter...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

sapper wrote:
    Hi - I'm looking at buying a newly-built house which has solid wood, juncker-style flooring. In spots around the house, the flooring is pretty creaky and in someplaces it's a bit springy (you can press up and down on the floor to get the creaking going).

The house is, I'm told, 1 year old with a concrete sub-floor.

I'm thinking that perhaps the problem is that the floor has not been given enough room to expand. Is this a factor for solid wood flooring just like it is for floorboards?

I was thinking perhaps the remedy would be to remove the skirtings and cut back the wood by an inch or so for an expansion gap.

Or will I just ruin a perfectly good floor?

The initial impressions of the floor, is that either the floor was laid without provision for movement. Or the subfloor was poorly levelled.

Either way alarm bells should be sounding. This is a new house, and should not have these sort of problems, if the workman ship was up to standard.
    No decent tradesman would lay wooden flooring incorrectly , on a poorly levelled sub floor.

What about the hidden areas you cant see. Get a professional survey done, by some one competent,

kadman

Advertisement