Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Greyhounds don't win

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fitzyfitzboobs

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

RSPCA wrote:
    The RSPCA has previously expressed “grave concerns” about the fate of up to 12,000 retired greyhounds that go missing every year. A spokesman said: “There is no justification for killing these animals simply because they can’t do their job any more.”

Logan's Run

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

So what if he kills the dogs, greyhounds are bred for racing if they are no good then do away with them, its always been the case, are you going to keep 10,000 useless greyhounds as pets?
    Didn't think so.

"so what if he kills the dogs".........its comments like that that have this country the way it is when it comes to animal cruelty.

What do you mean "the country is the way it is" if you had read the post correctly you would have seen that these deaths occoured in England (a different country to Ireland)

It is regrettable that so many dogs are put down but Racing greyhounds are short-term investments. Even the fastest dogs only race for a few years, and are expected to generate enough profit during that time to make up for the initial investment for their food and housing up to that point. One champion dog can be extremely profitable.

Often, owners will purchase multiple greyhounds in the hopes that one will generate enough profit to compensate financially for all the others. Animal Cruelty is a different matter to putting down a greyhound, while both are regrettable perhaps only those involved in greyhounds can have an understanding of shooting the less good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Sadly, i do believe your serious :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Sadly, I do believe he's just perfectly illustrated the dog racing mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That's why I don't go to greyhound races, I don't bet on greyhounds, i don't support the "industry" with one cent (other than the percentage of my tax money that the governement spends on the racing industry against my will :mad: ).

Same applies to horse racing

All I'm serious about is that from what I have seen, if people have a lot of greyhounds that are no good (i.e do not win races) then these will invariably not be as well looked after as dogs that are winning races, it may not sound nice but dogs that dont win races face the bullet (i have never shot a dog by the way before you go making assumptions). If you talk to people involved in greyhound racing, most of them feel the same way but thats not to say that every dog that fails to win a race is out down, some are and some aren't again it depends in the individual.

Horse racing and greyhound racing are two seperate industries, it is not really fair to compare them.

I have yet to hear of anybody shooting a horse for not winning a race, horses have more uses than greyhounds when they stop racing i.e they can be used in riding schools or bred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

What do you mean "the country is the way it is" if you had read the post correctly you would have seen that these deaths occoured in England (a different country to Ireland)

It may have happened in England but your opinion that grey's are just a comodity and deserve no respect regardless of where they are is a perfect example of why there is so much cruelty in this country. You have no respect for the life of the greyhound. Once it's of no racing use it should be killed??

Do you feel the same way about people who for one reason or another canot contribute to society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

peasant wrote:
    That's why I don't go to greyhound races, I don't bet on greyhounds, i don't support the "industry" with one cent (other than the percentage of my tax money that the governement spends on the racing industry against my will :mad: ).

You can't be serious? The government funds dog racing? @##$! bad enough it's a poor excuse for "sport" but i can't believe it's actively FUNDED by the government.

Our government is crap.

Quoted from:
    http://www.igb.ie/about_us.aspx

The Irish Greyhound Board - Bord na gCon - is a commercial semi-state body which is responsible for the control and development of the greyhound industry in Ireland.

The Board was established under special legislation by the Irish government in 1958. The Greyhound Industry Act (1958) gave the Board wide powers to regulate all aspects of greyhound racing in Ireland including the licensing of the different tracks, the issuing of permits to officials, bookmakers, trainers and the implementation of the rules of racing.

The Irish Greyhound Board has licensed a total of seventeen tracks in the republic, of which nine are owned and controlled by the Board. The remainder are owned and operated by private enterprise. There are also a further three privately owned stadia in Northern Ireland.

The Board operates Tote facilities at all greyhound tracks and applies an on-course levy on all bookmaker’s betting. These levies together with gate receipts have funded the industry and allows the Board to:

Supplement prize money at all levels of greyhound racing.

Provide development loans and grants to greyhound tracks in order to enable them to improve their facilities.

To advertise and market the industry on both a national and international level.

Develop and improve greyhound stadia nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Thirty per cent of the current government's budget for sport goes to the greyhound and horse racing industries.

And to clarify a point, the reason ex-racehorses aren't destroyed at the end of their careers is because if they have been successful, they command massive stud fees and so continue to bring in revenue for the owner.

A racehorse is bred and trained to race around a track - they don't find second careers as riding school mounts or showjumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

boomerang wrote:

A racehorse is bred and trained to race around a track - they don't find second careers as riding school mounts or showjumpers.

Wrong! I do concede that some are put to sleep, but quite a lot are rehomed as riding horses (not necessarily riding school mounts). I help out in a racing stables and the horses in it are very sensible, grounded and well trained animals.

www.ihwt.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I beleive a lot of this is due to indescriminate breeding of these animals.
    People are just breeding tonnes of greys in the hope that one will be a winner - breeding should be more controlled and regulated.

Lets not forget that a huge proportion of these dogs shot in the UK would have been bred and come from Ireland.

Just like any idiot sticks 2 Boxers or 2 West Highland Terriers together in the hope of making a quick buck - no thought is being given to what defects are being passed onto another 6 dogs - I bet 80% of dogs in classified ads have not had a healthcheck before breeding - have not been carefully chosen to breed for their good looks , perfect breed standards, clean health and balanced temperament.

Nah sure stick 2 together , flog the pups and feck the poor unfortunate dog that is the result and ends up suffering skin allergies , ear problems etc for the rest of it's life.

I'm picking these 2 breeds as they seem to be the most popular dog of the day and 2 of the breeds I regularly see to be as far removed from breed standards as is possible yet claiming to be pure bred ..............

Never mind how greyhounds are bred ....

The whole "sport" is utterly pointless.

A handful of people make a living (if they're lucky) out of disregarding animals rights from birth to (mostly premature) death.

Overbreeding, cruel training, insufficient care and housing, doping, overmedication, neglect, injury,cruel "disposal" ...you name it, it happens to greyhounds in the name of "sport"

Ban the whole thing, I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yes I went completely OT there.
    I agree 100% - I hate greyhound racing - don't support it - try to dis-courage people at work from organising nights at the " dogs " as a social occasion.

I hate the fact that people are overlooking the fact that these are living creatures NOT commodities. They are dogs 1st and foremost and deserve to be treated as such - not some money making object to be passed from pillar to post and end up god knows where.

One of the gentlest breeds I have met and known and one of the most misunderstood breeds too. They are not vicious like people think - they are a sprinting animal so they do not need ooodles of exercise and they do make ideal pets for many people.

Sighthounds are one of the most popular pets in Sweden - where I beleive they do race greyhounds as the dogs enjoy it but betting on the races is illegal. Perhaps that would be an option here - or am I fooling myself........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Padangel

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    Sighthounds are one of the most popular pets in Sweden - where I beleive they do race greyhounds as the dogs enjoy it but betting on the races is illegal. Perhaps that would be an option here - or am I fooling myself........

Yes, there is greyhound racing here in Sweden but you cannot bet on the races. The owners race their dogs just for the sake of watching these beautiful dogs sprint, simply because the dogs absolutely love to run. Winning is not important, the main thing is that the dogs have fun. And then go home and sleep in a comfy sofa in the livingroom the rest of the day, and in it's owner's bed at night!!

So many Irish greyhounds go from the Irish tracks via rescue centers to new homes in Sweden (and Italy, and Germany, and the US) as nobody in Ireland wants to adopt them. Same goes for lurchers and other sighthounds, most people in Ireland who wants a lurcher wants it for hunting, not as a pet.

Padangel wrote:
    So many Irish greyhounds go from the Irish tracks via rescue centers to new homes in Sweden (and Italy, and Germany, and the US) as nobody in Ireland wants to adopt them. Same goes for lurchers and other sighthounds, most people in Ireland who wants a lurcher wants it for hunting, not as a pet.

Arent we fools... they are *the best pets ever*

I dont know any greyhound trainers so I'm speaking with ignorance here, but greyhounds seem to get an awfully raw deal in comparison with racehorses especially considering their wonderful gentle disposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I think to most people when they think of greyhounds they see the picture of it running around the track trying to get its teeth into a stuffed rabbit, people think they will bite, snap, attach small children, small pets.

I had never met any greyhounds until I took one out of Ashton Pound and she stayed in my house for the day, she was what I can only describe as "a lady", compared to my 2 mad mutleys.

Last year there was a gathering in the Phoenix Park of people who had greyhounds/lurchers who were pets some of the rescues brought greyhounds/lurchers that were looking for homes and people were genuinely amazed that these animals were out on leads like normal dogs playing, walking, running etc its was a sight to behold.

The groups like who Padangel is with are a lifeline to greyhound/lurchers (and other dogs) in Ireland as they go to wonderful homes. Very few rescues take them in over here cause they know they will be left with them for awhile. My friend has a greyhound and a lurcher and if nothing else the pair of them have made me fall in love with the breed, and one day I will have a grey or a lurcher of my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Irish-Lass wrote:
    The groups like who Padangel is with are a lifeline to greyhound/lurchers (and other dogs) in Ireland as they go to wonderful homes. Very few rescues take them in over here cause they know they will be left with them for awhile. My friend has a greyhound and a lurcher and if nothing else the pair of them have made me fall in love with the breed, and one day I will have a grey or a lurcher of my own.

I look forward to having a grey or lurcher myself as well:) Love them!!Unfortunately I work with a guy who owns greyhounds for racing and thinks nothing of making comments about shooting them if they break a leg:mad: :mad: I must find out what will happen to them when he decides to no longer race them. I dread to think.....:( Althoug at least if I know maybe I could have some say on what might happen to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

I have an ex-coursing lurcher and she's so sweet natured that she gets bullied by my other dogs if I dont watch out for her. She's highly intelligent and spotlessly clean and has a gorgeous quirky personality. Its such a shame that lurchers have a bad name because they truly are wonderful pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I know someone who breeds and trains greyhounds if they dont perform the person kills them I have talked to him about it and he said they are traceable if the greyhound is caught with people lamping they will trace the dog back to him!!! you can not win.

It appears to be the case if the animal is not making any money it gets killed whether or not its a horse/greyhound or any other creature!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I don't have much time for anyone who relies on animals to make their living tbh. I don't think they have much respect for them. I've heard of dog breeders who will kill pups if they don't have the right markings or right features. I read the article on the Sunday Times on Sunday too and was horrified to see the pictures of the two greyhounds that were killed, such beautiful healthy dogs. I'm sure something can be done to regulate the breeding of these dogs and limit the numbers being bred. All that matters is money to some people and those people shouldn't be allowed to keep any animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

"I don`t have much time for anyone who relies on animals to make their living"

Does that include vets? ;~)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

i would hope not, then ya dont like doctors much either

junkyard wrote:
    I don't have much time for anyone who relies on animals to make their living tbh. I don't think they have much respect for them.

Argh!

That is just a ridiculous fecking statement. My blood is boiling... You've just condemned every farmer, riding school owner, Vet etc in the country.
    Ridiculous generalisations like this really dont help. Treating an animal like a cuddly pet, and treating it with respect is not the same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

I resisted answering. Thank you for putting it so well. :mad:

fits wrote:
    . Treating an animal like a cuddly pet, and treating it with respect is not the same thing!

I would agree with that bit, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Am I the only one that didn't take what Junkyard said literally. I would assume that he was referring to dog breeding, greyhound racing etc. As somebody who has posted on here asking what was best to feed his dogs, I seriously doubt he would refrain from using a vet if care was needed. Considering he went on to refer to dog breeding and grehounds, I would have thought people could have appllied a bit of common sense. To stretch his comment to say that he's condeming farmers is just nonsense.

Advertisement