Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey - Worth the 11 year wait?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the recent Prey thread, and the fact that it took 11 years (It was announced in 1995) to develop, I thought I'd set up a poll to see if people thought it was worth the wait?

Now I haven't played it, but I've heard about it, but I might consider getting it, just to see myself. The fact that you get Serious Sam free with it makes it tempting, as it means it works out cheaper as well.

Was it worth the wait? 29 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    13% 4 votes
    I don't know/Not sure
    51% 15 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    34% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Only played the demo. Looks good. But to be honest its not my kinda game. Prefer Operation Flashpoint type games better. I'm playing the regiment at the moment. Not the worlds greatest game, but I'm enjoying that more.

Horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Not worth the wait, it's too short also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Yeah but were you really waiting 11 years for it?

Everyone though it was canceled years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

No game is worth 11 years wait, but like TomCo said, we've not really been waiting 11 years since they canned it then resumed work on it in 2003 or whenever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye, the first thing i heard of it since the canning was that there's a demo available to download.
    even if it hadn't been canned back then, it'd still be worth the wait imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I played the demo. I was thinking I'd heard of Prey somewhere before alright, it was the big hype a good few years ago IIRC. Mad.

Anyway, yeah it looks a good game from the demo - I was impressed with the storyline, dialogue, cool anti-gravity effects, portals and puzzles. And being based on the Doom 3 engine, it was always going to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Multiplayer is funny, with lack of any real centre gravity point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

atari jaguar because i didn't wait 11 years. it popped up out of nowhere for me and blew me away for being the first fps since doom to make me want to hurl from motion sickness...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It was more like 3 years since it's a different developer, the only things that remain are some of the story elements and the portals. It was canned a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

11 years? Erm, how long are we waiting fo Duke to return, tbh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

and also Stalker

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭WonderBoy9

[You're welcome to post a new thread about this LAN, you are not however welcome to spam this thread].

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No game is worth an 11 year wait, but as has been said, not many were exaxtly still waiting for it, doesn't make it not a good game though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

From what I've played of it so far its a finely crafted FPS but how can one practically claim we have waited 11 years.
    Technology has changed so mach over those years its impossible to claim that anything other than a set of concepts on a sheet of paper could have remained over the intervening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you can see the Doom 3 engines influence all over it. I've only played the demo but the storyline didn't grab me as amazing "in a bar->on spacecraft->save GF". I actually had heard nothing about this game (although like others i remember constantly hearing mutterings of this game over the years) so when it started up with the jukebox and the bar, I thought it was going to be set on earth (for a change) but no, here comes the aliens, and like quake and doom, i'm crawling through alien infested sewers and pipes and corridors all in near darkness, but now I have an indian accent and a budgy flying about

Not worth it IMO, i'll wait until someone I know buys it and then just complete it to see if he "gets the girl", although if its anything like quake or doom his GF probably ends up being turned into an alien and you have to fight her as the end boss :D

3 years ago this game would of been amazing, now its just your run of the mill FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I thoroughly enjoyed it. But then I am an FPS whore.

Bring on DUKE 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

L31mr0d wrote:
    Not worth it IMO, i'll wait until someone I know buys it and then just complete it to see if he "gets the girl", although if its anything like quake or doom his GF probably ends up being turned into an alien and you have to fight her as the end boss :D
    third last boss actually:o
    and i honestly didn't see it coming... you've gotta love the rage Domasi (?) goes into after the battle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

tman wrote:
    third last boss actually:o
    and i honestly didn't see it coming... you've gotta love the rage Domasi (?) goes into after the battle :D

rofl,
    I honestly knew nothing about the game, but its such a typical thing to do, they did it in Quake4 and Doom3. Plus all the machinery was very reminiscent of Quake4, hacking humans to pieces, I knew there would be some point to it all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I answered Atari Jaguar, but its a cool game,looking forward to finishing it. I remember the screenshots in pczone all those years ago.....

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It has some nice ideas that aren't really taken advantage of imho (Compare the Valve Portals demo to Prey gameplay and you'll get a glimpse of just how much of a great idea was wasted. Also the spirit walking was just another step in simple puzzle solving, it had no optional/tactical use). The weapons for the most part didn't have a good feel to them either, and the enemy AI was pooage.
    That said they did an excellent job in creating the environments and a soundtrack by Jeremy Soule is always a big plus. Worth getting on budget, at full price it's a bit of a stretch, depends on how hard up for FPS action you are.
    Overall it's a 70% imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement