Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bricks for Fireplace

Options
  • 17-07-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

I've bought a new house. The fireplace in the living room is currently a hole in the wall. I've seen a photo in a magazine that I like where they lined the chimney with red bricks and then plastered up to the bricks, so there's no surround.
    I've enquired about bricks but it seems I need to use firebricks which are yellow.

Anyone know where I can get red bricks that would be suitable?
    Can I use reclaimed red bricks?
    Is there anything I should be aware of ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can you prehaps show a picture of what you would like to do, because I have two ideas in my head, and they are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ShayC

Hi,

It's a bit like the one in the attached photo, only smaller and neater.
    The chimney inside the fireplace is lined with bricks.

Hope that makes sense.

thanks

It should be possible to get the firebrick coloured to suit your wishes. Will be obviously more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Try this crowd www.stsalvage.ie ...
    They should have what ye need ... I think reclaimed firebricks are 1 euro
    each ...

Thanks for the replys, will give those guys a call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I dont think you have to use firebricks for just a fire surround. After all, the bricks will only see the periphery of the heat if you use a standard built-in fire surround.

However, you might have use a non-standard mortar mix for the brickwork.

We have an old brick firelplace at home for the last 30 years and its
    still going strong, bit brown around the edges but thats all ;) .

ShayC wrote:
    The chimney inside the fireplace is lined with bricks.

Thats a point I asked him to clarift starman100. He is actually intending to use bricks as a fireback an also as a surrond. Your right that the surround need not be firebricks, but might as well have them matching.

Hi,

Yes Mellor is correct, was hoping to line the inside of the chimney, purely because I think it would look nicer. As I said I've seen a photo in a magazine and the fireplace is quite wide and is bricked on the inside also.
    Obviously the ones at the back will blacken but it still looks nice.

Thanks for the help, I'll investigate further and if need be use a normal fireback and just brick the front.

thanks

Advertisement