Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Maiden stuff

• 17-07-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

The first single from 'A Matter Of Life And Death' is up on www.ironmaiden.com - 'The reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg'. A 7 minute mid paced track in the style of 'Age Of Innocence' off the last album.

I like it, very much in the style of the last couple of albums (both of which I liked a lot).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Meh, its alright, nothing special though. most of it was standard average maiden stuff, a few bits were above average though. And only one solo??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Yeah, only one solo in a 7 minute song..strange for Maiden! I like it for what it is though. I didn't think the first single off the last album was representative of the rest of the album though. No way can I dislike anything Maiden do at this stage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Very true Fozzy. Wildest Dreams wasn't representative of Dance of Death AT ALL. By far the weakest track on that album.

Liking this one though. Agree with the first poster in that it's no great departure from the last album (which I also see as a good thing) but if you compare it to something like Age of Innocence it doesn't really match up favourably in my eyes. It lacks a lot of the raw power and spine-tingling ability of that track.

Having said that it's a solid tune, and anything by Maiden is welcome in a time where truly great rock music is difficult to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Not bad, the start kinda reminded me of the older stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

toffo wrote:
    Not bad, the start kinda reminded me of the older stuff.
    yea i thought the same too, good track but not great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Hmm... pretty average. Don't really know what to make of it yet.. I'll need a few listens. There's not enough guitar riff and too much boring powerchord bits. Focuses too much on vocals, with not a lot happeining behind them.

The riff that comes in eventually kinda reminds of "Fear Is The Key".. how oldschool

Video sucks ass though.. probably their worst ever. It's no Holy Smoke in fairness..

Let's hope that's the last time anyone mentions the new stuff in the same breath as No Prayer For The Dying!

*shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Father Jack is such a rip-off of thise Holy Smoke priests..

man, that video kicks ass in a most unusual way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

AlanOB wrote:
    Let's hope that's the last time anyone mentions the new stuff in the same breath as No Prayer For The Dying!

*shudders*

Did you hear that 'Tailgunner' was voted 'song most likely to make you drive too fast/get a speeding ticket' in a recent poll? :p:o

I've listened to the new track about 10 times now. It's an odd choice for a lead single, they've always released a 3 or 4 minute rocker in the past (e.g. 'Wildest Dreams' 'The Wickerman' etc.). Still, they're not going for a chart placing (at 7 minutes it'll be too long to qualify). It's a good song.

Bruce's voice sounds like razor wire on that song (and on the album in general) but yeah the video does have a strange appeal.

Sure the new vid is awful, but who cares? I've never been convinced to listen to a band by a video alone and I doubt anyone else who is serious about their music has been either.
    Did you hear that 'Tailgunner' was voted 'song most likely to make you drive too fast/get a speeding ticket' in a recent poll?

When the general public vote, the results are never worth taking seriously! Weird that a Maiden song was chosen though. Where was the poll done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Initial impressions...not bad. I think I'll need to listen to it a few times before forming a full opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

peter1892 wrote:
    Did you hear that 'Tailgunner' was voted 'song most likely to make you drive too fast/get a speeding ticket' in a recent poll?

I would have gone for "Trashed" from Black Sabbath's Born Again album

I would have said the cover of Deep Purple's "Highway Star" from Metal Church personally.

Gets the adrenaline racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Bad Religion - Supersonic would have gotten my vote.

AlanOB wrote:
    When the general public vote, the results are never worth taking seriously! Weird that a Maiden song was chosen though. Where was the poll done?

It was mentioned on Bruce's radio show a few weeks back, I don't know who actually took the poll. If any Maiden song would make me drive faster it'd be 'The Trooper' or 'Aces High'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

AlanOB wrote:

*shudders*
    Yeah. Never thought I'd cringe to maiden music till I heard some of the toss on that album. Jeez. The holy smoke vid does rock though... If the next album manages to improve on "Dance of Death", I'll be a damn happy 12 foot tall robot replica of a 17th century zombified corpse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

New song seems decent enough. I loved the two most recent albums.

As for a song to drive fast to; 'twould have to be Deadbolt by Thrice! If you know the song you'll know why :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dg101

At least things have been looking up since the dark days of Futureal..

Dg101 wrote:
    At least things have been looking up since the dark days of Futureal..

Aye, but that track was follwed on 'Virtual XI' by 'The Angel & The Gambler'....noooooooo!!!! :eek: :p

'Different Worlds' is up on the official site now as well - www.ironmaiden.com

I like it a lot - the chorus is great :)

• Advertisement

Ah, deadly song! Easier to get into than TROBB, real catchy

'Brighter than a thousand suns' is up now. Holy f**king sh*t! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Anybody going to the concert in December. Ill be going, will they be playing their new songs or what do you think. To be honest not looking forward to it, not a maiden fan doing it as a favor to a mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Im not goin...yet, but Im sure they will have a mix of old and new songs. Id be more bothered about the presence of Trivium. Im not able to play the new songs, annoying it is. ah got it, but not on Media Player. Drums sound good anyway...thats always a plus

Mushy wrote:
    Id be more bothered about the presence of Trivium.

Trivium, Schmivium - you can stay in the bar for them! ;)

I'd imagine Maiden will play a bunch of songs off the new album & selected oldies. I'm really looking forward to hearing the album now, I'm highly impressed by 'Brighter than a thousand suns', great riff, great vocals & superb drumming. From what I've read, Nicko gets 'man of the match' for this album.

And more stuff...there's a 'making the album' video up on the site now:

http://www.ironmaiden.com/homepage.php?section=0&subsection=0

I reckon this is what'll be on the DVD that's in the CD package

Ok stupid me has just realised the concert is over 18's and dumb Reganio is under 18 any advice do they always ask for ID. If so what can I do going with mates and none of them are over 18. Help.

I don't ever remember being asked for id at any concerts, although last time Maiden played in the Point I was asked at the bar when I went for a drink. I'd forgotten it, so I just went to another bar at the other side of the hall, no bother at all!

Cheers was hoping that don't mind not drinking just want to get in

• Advertisement
Advertisement