Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power out in Cork

Options
  • 17-07-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    where'd all the electricity go? We've a back up generator here which kicked in straight away but I'v heard the whole city is without electricity. Can anyone shed some light (bad pun I know :o ) on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah my brother rang me askin was it down... Mine is fine though... I am livin on the Boreenamana R.d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

There was a quick interruption in service here in UCC - like a surge or brownout.

It's killed the ac in my server room - 'luckily' it killed the servers too so no heat issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Where in UCC are you? I'm Elec. Eng.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah my brother rang me askin was it down... Mine is fine though... I am livin on the Boreenamana R.d
    Same here, all fine. Out in other parts of Ballinlough though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

yeah, had a quick blink and dropped a couple of calls, stupid floursecnet lights flashing when they relight

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote:
    Where in UCC are you? I'm Elec. Eng.

Computer Science. I just heard from B&E that it was a power surge, all back to normal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

I'm working over near the Kinsale Roundabout. We had no power from 1115 to 1245. Twas great, sat out the back in the sunshine with nothing to do...bliss :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

damn back up generators

now I've to spend the rest of the day fixing servers. without any air con.
    I hate power cuts.

deRanged wrote:
    now I've to spend the rest of the day fixing servers. without any air con.
    I hate power cuts.

I love power cuts.... I can't wait til 2050 or whenever the oil runs out.... no power for days... weeks even... bliss.... I'll have to hook up my bike to the computer and pedal power!

• Advertisement

Nah, iniscarra will still be running and we'll ahve more renewable energy sources by then, just you'll have plenty more power and wont be able to sit in the sun, damn you escaping into the sunshine

I'd say we'll all be micro generating at that stage.... mini turbines on the chimney & solar panels on the roof....

so you can organise your own terribly local blackout when teh sunshines? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Yeah Bord Gais got hit too.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Grid Control went down and you all burned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Went out in Little Island too but our backup generators kicked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I was too asleep to notice any problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im in the Northpoint Business park in Blackpool. The power went for a second, then the back up jenny clicked it. Pity. We could have went out an sunned ourselves had it not hit.

just got some sun after all - the fire alarm went off so we all had to go sunbathe for a while.

power spike - ac failure and a fire alarm. you'd swear it was a monday.

Been taking calls for various alarm and lift companies since it happened, woo for electrical stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It went in Douglas too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

deRanged wrote:
    just got some sun after all - the fire alarm went off so we all had to go sunbathe for a while.

power spike - ac failure and a fire alarm. you'd swear it was a monday.

I saw that ealier, everyone was flooding out of the Kane building. What happened? Was it just because of the power failure? Jeez, that building has nuclear/radioactive materials in there, hope noone was running any sensitive experiments when the power cut :D

Bacchus wrote:
    I saw that ealier, everyone was flooding out of the Kane building. What happened? Was it just because of the power failure?
    the fire alarm in G1/G2 went off - presumably related to the building work going on.
    that's at least the 2nd time they've done that.
    hope noone was running any sensitive experiments when the power cut :D

well I was - but they were running in Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It just surged or something in my office on North Main Street. Phone calls were cut off mid call and the lights went off for a second.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Same in Mahon - quick flicker of the lights, nothing went down. But at home the microwave reset and the router went down. Tescos in Douglas sparked off their fire alarm and shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Spare a thought for poor old me! Had my driving test today at 11 and I was just going down Sarsfield hill and way up ahead was a red light. It was ages away still so i was looking in the mirrors and stuff and i glanced again and as they say, there it was gone. I had a whole driving test in Cork City without encountering one set of traffic lights. Crossroads were hell, that whole giving way to traffic on your right rule does not work because then no one will be able to move. It was a free for all. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has anyone found out what caused it yet?
    D-Generate wrote:
    Spare a thought for poor old me! Had my driving test today at 11 and I was just going down Sarsfield hill and way up ahead was a red light. It was ages away still so i was looking in the mirrors and stuff and i glanced again and as they say, there it was gone. I had a whole driving test in Cork City without encountering one set of traffic lights. Crossroads were hell, that whole giving way to traffic on your right rule does not work because then no one will be able to move. It was a free for all. Ah well!
    Did you pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

God no!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Errah only nerds pass the first time. Apply again straight away and let us know when the next date is, so we can all cross out fingers and think happy thoughts that day. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Errah only nerds pass the first time.

Mmmmm...nerds :)

Advertisement