Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basil Pest - beetle?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Help! My indoor potted basil plant is being attacked. The leaves are being eaten away and there a loads of balls of what look like dung scattered inside and outside the pot each morning. Has anyone any idea of what the problem is and how to get rid of it. The dung balls are pretty big, so I'm imagining it's a beetle or something, yeuck! I'm getting itchy at the thought.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Dung you say.
    That is a reason to get itchy.
    Sounds like something left behind after a mouse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 matiz

The dung balls are too small to be from a mouse, but they're not microscopic either. They're in clusters on the leaves of my plant.
    I've done a bit of net surfing today and it seems my plant is prey to a gang of hungry caterpillars. I'll just pick them off when I get home and put them into a field nearby to wreak havoc elsewhere. Messy feckers..... Who'd have thought all that gunk could come out of a few little caterpillars!! Still itchy.... Thanks for your reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Maybe try putting one of those cake-protector style nets over the pot at night until you find out what the culprit is?
    [edit] Where they're coming from

I'm finding the same.
    I think the lovely smell of the basil entices all sorts of little bgugers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 matiz

A big fat juicy GREEN caterpillar!! I nearly screamed the house down when I spotted him hiding on the underside of a leaf - I hadn't expected him to be so big! He was the exact same colour as the leaf. :o He got dumped into the composter for his efforts.

This morning, I checked and there was no more damage to the plant, so I hope he was a loner.

Thanks everyone for your help!!! Much appreciated!

Advertisement