Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo's: Do you have one & why?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Never had one before but finally going to get it done.

Does anyone know any good places in dublin?

Somewhere with good artists that wont **** up my arm for life and also clean etc.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Try this forum. You’d actually be more original not getting a tattoo tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I didnt realise that the purpouse of having a tattoo was to be individual or different than the masses.

Thanks for the info though and Ill be sure to check that forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Kiera wrote:

Why? It is still a relatively small percentage of the overall population that has a tattoo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

be advised that forum is not the most friendly of places..there's some people who seem to think having a few tats gives you the right to be an arrogant asshole.

Dragan wrote:
    Why? It is still a relatively small percentage of the overall population that has a tattoo.
    Hey don’t get me wrong. I have one but I just think that every skangbag in the city has one too. I don’t regret mine and still think its pretty cool but I tend to hide it more now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Degsy wrote:
    be advised that forum is not the most friendly of places..there's some people who seem to think having a few tats gives you the right to be an arrogant asshole.
    Hmmm, I never seen abuse there. Linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

it's an idea i've been toying with for a while, and i got one of those henna tats a few weeks ago while at a festival for a laugh and thought it was nice
    just want to get a black tribal design on the upper arm, nothing major or out of the ordinary... and definetly not tacky either
    but at the same time i dont want to get some dodgey artist who ****s it up - hence my post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Kiera wrote:

Its not always about being different, i didnt get mine so i'd stand out, i got mine because I wanted it and so i could enjoy it. I dont give a crap about being different, these days anyway, theres no way to be different because there are so many people out there doing all sorts of things, if you try to be different, there will always be people out there doing the same thing, so just do whatever you feel good with and don't care about being different.

On the other side of the argument, one might get a tattoo to not be different but to actually fit in, which is a, perfectly good, but different story.

Does anyone know any good places in dublin?

You'll find places in the Tattoo forum, but I suggest Snake Bite, the guys are good artists and tattooers and friendly people (exept when theyre fighting with each other, like they were when i was there, but they were still nice to us anyway). Celestial Ring can be pretty good too depending on who tattoos you, and its a nice clean environment (not that Snake Bite isnt of course!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i have 2 and dont regret it but jsut get something that means something to ya thats my only bit of advice...well that and the fact i recommend Stigmata Tau in Swords main street, both Cathal and Mick are good guys and do great work. new guy there wally is pretty good too but aint seen enough of his work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There is a forum for this on boards (under Arts) other than AH where you would get to more people with specific advice on the location you are seeking. Also the quality and problems that might occur at specific places.

Otherwise on AH you also get comments by people who are not into tatoos, like me, who get bored with wearing the same clothes all the time, and would get bored with the same tatoo for the rest of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Degsy wrote:

he he he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Simple enough,

just wondering what type of tattoo you have and why did you get it?

For the record, At times I wanted to get one but I never could find anything that would 'mean' something to me.

Motm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

don't have one. don't see any point in getting one.

Kiera wrote:
    Hey don’t get me wrong. I have one but I just think that every skangbag in the city has one too. I don’t regret mine and still think its pretty cool but I tend to hide it more now.

If you have one and you like then you have no reason to hide it dear. If because of the idea that some other people might think ill of you for having one then sadly those kinds of people will nearly always find something bad to think about people.

For example , in town the other day i was called a "yuppie c**t", my crime? Holding my phone and my i-pod in the same hand while i lit a cigarette.

Never mind the fact that i was wearing a nice pair of baggy jeans and my "I've had both.....and dead is better" t-shirt.

Some people! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No. Why not? I get bored with the same clothes, and would get bored with the same tattoo for the rest of my life.

If you really want to get the "inside" on why people get tattoos, there is a tattoo forum under Arts on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

No. Also don't see the point. Although I saw a girl on Saturday with a great tatoo of her own likeness on her back above her left hip, it was really good. Some tatoos are excellent and no doubt the person who does them is an artist but I would never get one myself and don't find them attractive.

Whats' worse are 'fashionable' tatoos such as the ol' chinese symbol on the arm, or a heart with 'Mum' written in it for blokes or the 'tramp stamp' on the lower back for women. These are pretty crass and unimaginative.
    That's only my opinion and I know others will disagree so that's fine with me, I understand why some people like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

get a W on each bum cheek so when u bend over it says WOW

Have chopped and changed about what i want to get done for a long time....finally starting to get all my pieces together though.

I know when i get my first done i will end up getting a few of them, so i want to have a nice theme running through them...as such i am going for the Good Vs Evil theme with a sprinkling of modified Celtic Tribal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

threads merged

No no no. I don’t wear long baggy t-shirts to cover it. I just don’t like being somewhere like in the pub yesterday before the game and there were loads of girls with tattoo’s showing. I made sure mine was covered as I didn’t want to seem like a sheep.

I’m proud of mine and have never seen anyone with the same idea, I just think every second person has one and showing them off like some of the girls yesterday made them look very skangerish.

I hate all those roses, Irish flags and the band around your arm. Scum city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have to say I quite like tattoos and if I ever think of one that'd mean something to me I'll probably get it done but what I really, really hate are the one's skanger birds get done on their chests and then insist on wearing low cut tops to show off... *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I have two, one on each inner forearm. Taking up that lenth. I dont hide or show them off. They are just there. They are there for my reasons and my own meaning. I still have to get the thrid one on my back. Been meaning to do it for a year now. Just not had the money. They are all of my own design. I do like the lables people are putting on tattoos now. Like the "tramp stamp" Not juging at all now is it :rolleyes:

If you want to get one. Think it through long and good. Try your own design and placement. Then talk to the artest. He or she will know if it is posable. They can also improve apon it and tidy it up if you are a crap drawer like me. Getting something to "fit in" would be the worst thing you will do. In a year or two. You will be regretting it more than likely.

I've been stopped and asked about mine a good few times. I have also gotten some bad looks from people. Like in a shop, I get the look of "oh he is so going to rob the place" from people. but all in all. I dont give a crap. If someone doesn't like them or finds them "unattractive" then fine. If someone likes them and wants to know more. Then fine. But at the end of the day. The only person they will matter to. Is the wearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have two.
    one on left thigh, one on left upper arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Degsy wrote:
    And yet there's a far worse forum here on boards I won't name, it's one of only two forums I've ever quit on account of the other members. While here in the tattoos forum there will be heated discussions/arguements and some hostile posting at least during such people still listen to each others' points and don't just dismiss them out of being too full of themselves to listen to anyone's voice but their own.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    Whats' worse are 'fashionable' tatoos such as the ol' chinese symbol on the arm, or a heart with 'Mum' written in it for blokes or the 'tramp stamp' on the lower back for women. These are pretty crass and unimaginative.
    That's only my opinion and I know others will disagree so that's fine with me, I understand why some people like them.
    lol! Love the term, "Tramp Stamp"! So true.
    Kiera wrote:
    I hate all those roses, Irish flags and the band around your arm. Scum city!
    Kiera wrote:

This is my whole problem with people getting these tattoos to be fashionable, half wish the tattoo artists would give such people a tattoo of a sheep instead of whatever they asked for, learn to think for yourself people! This is why, while I have tattoos myself, I'd probably have more respect for the people I've encountered who don't want to get tattoos than those who have them, as all the one's who I personally know who have them did so out of fashion.
    I always laugh about the stupidity of humanity in general in that we all want to be accepted as individuals yet:
    (a) We do anything, including in this case permanent scaring, to be fashionable and fit in with a specific group.
    (b) We dislike and behave agressively to those who don't fall within the group(s) whom we consider ourselves a part of - hence race wars, apartheid, religious wars, etc.... I.e. we refuse to accept the individuality of another.
    (c) The more individualistic a person is the more they're likely to be bullied and have people trying to force them to conform.
    Suppose it's no wonder these people can't think for themselves and at least come up with a design that means something to them rather than one like their mate Jonno has...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

I have three, right arm, right shoulder and right leg. Done over the space of ten years, and all of which mean something personal to me. They are part of who I am as a person. Not a fashion statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Kiera wrote:

Just because you probably picked one off a wall doesn't mean he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Degsy wrote:

Where as you don't need a reason to be an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

sutty wrote:
    I do like the lables people are putting on tattoos now. Like the "tramp stamp" Not juging at all now is it :rolleyes:

Never said it wasn't judging, it is but I'm not ashamed of calling it like I see it. If I see someone with a tatoo of a map of Ireland and 32 written in it then I think "republican and probably bigoted" based on personal experience. (I'm an unmarked republican who is not bigoted but voices my opinion reasonably!)

Likewise with a tramp stamp, I know five girls with them who all qualify for the 'tramp' label and I had brief liaisons years ago with two who definitely deserve the label. I have nothing against these girls, they are nice, friendly people but are definitely tramps by definition.

Also, I think tribal markings are lame, if you don't belong to that tribe don't get the tatoo. Simple enough really, these people are wholly unimaginitive.

A friend of mine loves "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" and got himself a tatoo of a man wiht a bone in his beard swatting flies with the tagline, "What've you got against me Dent?" in reference to an incident in the book. That was more original than using "42" for example.

As I said, I've no problem with tatoo wearers I just don't need one to express who I am. Anyway...I'm rambling as usual.

i have two.
    one on left thigh, one on left upper arm.

what are they of? i'm curious

I think tatoos on woman arms are digusting, I mean what if one day your walking down the aisle in your dress and a big horrible tatoo on your arm.
    I have one on my lower back see attched its small and discreet and it means fire because i'm a fire sign in the zodiac i've never regreted it and been told a number of times how attractive it is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 olly

I think tatoos on woman arms are digusting, I mean what if one day your walking down the aisle in your dress and a big horrible tatoo on your arm.

Well really its up to the woman if they want to get a tattoo on their arm and in all fairness not all woman live for the day when they will walk down the aisle!! Ive seen some really amazing, unbelieveably artistic tattoos on womens arms and in my opinion they arent disgusting but beautiful and to most they have a special meaning not only in the design but in the placement!!!

Advertisement